Dark Horse Arms Ruger 77/44

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Alangaq
Senior Silent Operator

Dark Horse Arms Ruger 77/44

Post by Alangaq »

does anyone have any experience with this company and Brent the owner? I am considering having a intergrally suppressed Ruger 77/44 built.

as a side note, his wife told me that they bought the company from John Tibbetts back in 2005. I have tried to locate Tibbetts to see if he is still building the "Silent Destroyer" but have not had any luck... A company called Tibbetts America had a web site but never answer the phone. Keechi Creek Arms looks like it is or was a John Tibbetts company but it's phone doesnt seem to work either...

Looks like it's going to be Dark Horse or SRT for an intergrall Ruger.

Any input would be apreciated.
"Those gun control activists advocating exchanging a liberty for safety should recall that the safest place on earth is solitary confinement at Leavenworth."
- Rand T. Lennox
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Re: Dark Horse Arms Ruger 77/44

Post by ncorry »

I went through this a couple of years ago when I was getting mine done. IIRC- Dark Horse did buy out John's Guns, but I have no experience with the new owner.

SRT did a great job on mine. I opted for the fast twist 1:11 Douglas barrel instead of using the factory 1:20. Went wit hthe 1:11 to shoot the Hornady 300 grain XTP bullets. Great combo. Replaced the trigger with a volquartsen 77/22 sear and that made a hell of a difference.

Came down to SRT, Tom Denall in Oregon, [email protected]/ 541-389-6054- makes the Silent Destroyer, John's Guns, and Liberty. Actually would've gone with Liberty, but wasn't getting any return call from them- turned out they were on a company retreat for several days. WOuld've gone with Denall too since his integral barrel is user serviceable, but the wait time was about 4 months longer than SRT's. I remember talking with John's Guns, but can't remember why I cut them from the running- but, I don't think it was Dark Horse at that point. Good luck.
Alangaq
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Alangaq »

Tom Denall... That was the other guy I was thinking about but couldnt remember! Thanks! Also, i didnt realise that Liberty was doing them? Must be some limited runs that Dave is doing thru the custom shop? will send him and e-mail and see what he says.

good to know that the Volquartsen sear will work. Have also heard of guys shimming the bolt, but will have to look into it.
"Those gun control activists advocating exchanging a liberty for safety should recall that the safest place on earth is solitary confinement at Leavenworth."
- Rand T. Lennox
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

ncorry wrote:I went through this a couple of years ago when I was getting mine done. IIRC- Dark Horse did buy out John's Guns, but I have no experience with the new owner.

SRT did a great job on mine. I opted for the fast twist 1:11 Douglas barrel instead of using the factory 1:20. Went wit hthe 1:11 to shoot the Hornady 300 grain XTP bullets. Great combo. Replaced the trigger with a volquartsen 77/22 sear and that made a hell of a difference.

Came down to SRT, Tom Denall in Oregon, [email protected]/ 541-389-6054- makes the Silent Destroyer, John's Guns, and Liberty. Actually would've gone with Liberty, but wasn't getting any return call from them- turned out they were on a company retreat for several days. WOuld've gone with Denall too since his integral barrel is user serviceable, but the wait time was about 4 months longer than SRT's. I remember talking with John's Guns, but can't remember why I cut them from the running- but, I don't think it was Dark Horse at that point. Good luck.
I popped over to the Douglas web site to see about a fast twist barrel for my 96-44. It looks like they no longer make them. Bummer :( Anyone know of another place to get a fast twist barrel for the Ruger 44 carbines?
crazy-mp
Silent Operator

Post by crazy-mp »

Stalking Rhino could probably do a custom integral for you.

I shot the Keechi Creek Arms 77/357 at the Silencers are Legal Shoot in Dallas and I thought that was a top notch gun and they also chamber one in 44 mag.

http://cottonwoodarmory.mybigcommerce.c ... le-44-mag/
- - - Show Me Guns - - -
------Lebanon MO------
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

crazy-mp wrote:Stalking Rhino could probably do a custom integral for you.

I shot the Keechi Creek Arms 77/357 at the Silencers are Legal Shoot in Dallas and I thought that was a top notch gun and they also make on in 44 mag.

http://cottonwoodarmory.mybigcommerce.c ... le-44-mag/
It's his son that runs Keechi, not THE john tibbetts.

Yes we can do a 77/44 integral as well, we are working on a number of integrals right now that will start to hit the market shortly.
3DHUSKER

Post by 3DHUSKER »

Bendersquint wrote:
Yes we can do a 77/44 integral as well, we are working on a number of integrals right now that will start to hit the market shortly.
When is the savage 22 going to come out?
The Joker said it best, "Where does he get those wonderful toys?"

Get with your DEALER and get your next fix.
Alangaq
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Alangaq »

Bendersquint, describe your version of the suppressed 77/44 please.

Barrel lenght? Ported? Twist? baffles? Monocore? material? user servicable? one stamp gun or two?

for what its worth (yeah, i know....nuthin) my idea of the ideal 77/44 is with a 10" fast twist (1-10") non-ported stainless barrel with a pinned and welded 8" monocore and a full length reciever to muzzle tube. by my interpretation that would make it a one stamp gun.... but if not, i would be good with a two stamp gun. user servicable is a big priority as all I would ever shoot is heavy for caliber cast bullets...
- Rand T. Lennox
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

^ What he said, but with limited porting in the latter third of the barrel.
smilner01
Senior Silent Operator

Post by smilner01 »

I have been contemplating a 44 or 357 integral as well, but I want to be able to shoot some form of factory ammo that would be make me grin quiet :mrgreen:
3DHUSKER

Post by 3DHUSKER »

3DHUSKER wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
Never? Do I have to look somewhere else? Are you avoiding my question? I swear I saw you with one at the Dallas shoot, I may have been wrong it may have been YHM or some one, maybe Thompson machine, ya maybe them. May have to look them up.

3DHUSKER

Post by 3DHUSKER »

Still the sound of crickets is all i hear.

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

3DHUSKER wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
We still have a couple kinks to work out before we can release it. We are working on them as quickly as possible.
3DHUSKER wrote:Still the sound of crickets is all i hear.
Didn't you get my PM about my limited intenet?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Alangaq wrote:Bendersquint, describe your version of the suppressed 77/44 please.

Barrel lenght? Ported? Twist? baffles? Monocore? material? user servicable? one stamp gun or two?

for what its worth (yeah, i know....nuthin) my idea of the ideal 77/44 is with a 10" fast twist (1-10") non-ported stainless barrel with a pinned and welded 8" monocore and a full length reciever to muzzle tube. by my interpretation that would make it a one stamp gun.... but if not, i would be good with a two stamp gun. user servicable is a big priority as all I would ever shoot is heavy for caliber cast bullets...
For the 77/44 our design utilizes a barrel between 8-10" factory barrel and the suppressor will not change the overall length of the rifle from factory.

At this point it is NOT ported but we are considering a ported version in the future. This leaves the USER to decide the bullet speed, not SRI. What we feel is optimum may not be what YOU the consumer feels as optimal. This also allows you to use full power house loads if the need arises.

It uses a baffle stack which will allow the use of cast boolits.

Materials are a combination of SS, Ti and Al.

The conversion is user serviceable and available as a 1 or 2 stamper.

The 2 stamper will be more expensive, a bit lighter and 100% serviceable while the 1 stamp gun will be heavier and user serviceable just a little more difficult to fully clean.

Biggest difference between the 1 and 2 stamper is the tube material.
1 stamper will have a SS tube, while the 2 stamper will have a Ti tube.

We are also considering a new stock for it so that you won't end up with that shaved thin plasticy Ruger one.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

smcharchan wrote:^ What he said, but with limited porting in the latter third of the barrel.
We can do some porting if that is what you are wanting would run as a custom build.
3DHUSKER

Post by 3DHUSKER »

Porting sucks, i want something that will kill, I don't give a rats ass about impressing somebody that my ported gun that is quiet. I live with sonic crack with all my other suppressed gear why would I want anything different with a 22. If you are going to shot that all elusive paper i guess you need the ported barrel..... Not me.... :roll:

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

3DHUSKER wrote:Porting sucks, i want something that will kill, I don't give a rats ass about impressing somebody that my ported gun that is quiet. I live with sonic crack with all my other suppressed gear why would I want anything different with a 22. If you are going to shot that all elusive paper i guess you need the ported barrel..... Not me.... :roll:
That is the beauty of the Tomahawk, you get to decide exactly how fast(or slow) your bullet will travel simply by ammo choice.

Its this same mindset we are using for our other integrals.. Make it so the consumer decides what ammo and speed etc... they use not the other way around. You want magnum power then fire a magnum round, you want stupid quiet fire a home load that you made stupid quiet.
smilner01
Senior Silent Operator

Post by smilner01 »

Is it possible to get stupid quiet in the 77/44 with factory ammo? I want one for hunting, but have not got into reloading yet.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

smilner01 wrote:Is it possible to get stupid quiet in the 77/44 with factory ammo? I want one for hunting, but have not got into reloading yet.
Almost all the 44Special ammo is subsonic as well as the really heavy 44Magnum ammo

Just make sure the velocity is under 1000 fps and you will be subsonic and close to stupid quiet.
Alangaq
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Alangaq »

Bendersquint, I have checked out your web site and there isnt much info there... are your 77/44's going to be a main line item, or done as one-off custom projects? And price? How much (ball park) are they going to run?
- Rand T. Lennox
smilner01
Senior Silent Operator

Post by smilner01 »

Alangaq wrote:Bendersquint, I have checked out your web site and there isnt much info there... are your 77/44's going to be a main line item, or done as one-off custom projects? And price? How much (ball park) are they going to run?
+1 8)
atomchaser
Silent Operator

Post by atomchaser »

I have one of the SRT integral 77/44. It's a lot of fun and very quiet. It seems to really likes 300 Gr XTPs.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Alangaq wrote:Bendersquint, I have checked out your web site and there isnt much info there... are your 77/44's going to be a main line item, or done as one-off custom projects? And price? How much (ball park) are they going to run?
Website doesn't have the information because we are trying to not advertise for pieces still in the works. We don't want to be like other manufacturers that have vaporware on their websites. Anything that makes it on the website is for sale.

Yes, the 77/44 will be a main line item and we are looking at a conversion price(you supply the weapon) of approx $1000.

We are still determining the added cost of the custom stock, but it won't be more than $250.
Alangaq
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Alangaq »

can you work with a customer supplied fast twist bbl blank? and also, I would want to utalize the existing stock.... is that possible?
- Rand T. Lennox
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Alangaq wrote:can you work with a customer supplied fast twist bbl blank? and also, I would want to utalize the existing stock.... is that possible?
We would consider working with a customer supplied fast twist blank it would add to the price though for the extra work.

Yes using the existing stock is possible. Depending on how much work goes into the custom stock will determine if its a standard line item or if its available for upgrade or on a limited edition basis.