I want to change my email, problem

Post here if you have problems or suggestions. We will post announcements here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

1Andy2

I want to change my email, problem

Post by 1Andy2 »

My current listed email on this site is a yahoo address. I'm closing that old email and consolidating everything to my new email address... but the control panel here won't let me change it to a different email addy. Says too many spammers use yahoo.

I guess I must have registered before that policy went into effect. Seeing that I'm not a spammer (I've barely posted here at all), do you think I could get a waiver on that policy?

Thanks,

-Andy
silencertalk
Site Admin

Re: I want to change my email, problem

Post by silencertalk »

The site cannot be programmed to over-ride that on a case by case basis. I would have to open it for everyone.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

Andy.

Go buy you a domain name. (1Andy2.net or something) It's around $10-15 a year from Godaddy.com. You can use their domain administration page to setup an e-mail address at your domain name which you can forward to yahoo, gmail, your isp or any other real underlying e-mail address that you use. This way, if you ever change your real underlying e-mail address, you can just re-point [email protected] to your real e-mail address and you don't have to follow up with everyone to say that you've changed addresses. The extra benefit is that when you register at a site that doesn't allow yahoo, or gmail based addresses, you're good-to-go, because you have a real domain name that's not likely to be a spam-hose.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
usmcvet0331

Post by usmcvet0331 »

Is it a problem with yahoo and gmail hitting your server? I am in the same boat it have gmail and don't get any spam to speak of. Is your door just closed to any email from those sites?
O2HeN2
Silent But Deadly

Post by O2HeN2 »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:Andy.

Go buy you a domain name. (1Andy2.net or something) It's around $10-15 a year from Godaddy.com.
This. ^

I use 1and1.com, less than $20/year for an email domain, I sure there's a bazillion other companies that have the service.

Nothing I hate more than getting some email that states:

"Hey everyone, I'm changing my email from [email protected] to [email protected], please update!"

And of course I'm sitting there wondering "Who the hell is this -- at least why don't you give me your real name so I know what name to update, you moron!"

Having your own domain and email solves multiple problems:

1) You never have to send out a "I'm changing my email" notice EVER AGAIN! So you can jump internet providers to your heart's content without changing your email.
2) You can use an email name so that people know who you are: farnsworth_middleton_III@<whatever>
3) You can come up with a cool domain name like cooldomainname.com (woops, that one's already been taken! :))

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.