38 Super through a 9mm can?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Nuclear
Silent Operator

38 Super through a 9mm can?

Post by Nuclear »

Is it safe to shoot 38 Super through a 9mm can? I know it is higher pressure and marginally larger gas volume, but is there enough margin for it to be safe?
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Re: 38 Super through a 9mm can?

Post by eastern_hunter »

Should probably specify subsonic, supersonic or IPSC Major Super (which is a lot like supersonic .357 Mag).
Gary_SilencerCo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gary_SilencerCo »

El 38 super, 130 granos FMJ sera compatible con el Osprey 45 y el Octane 9 HD. Disaparamos 357 sig usando los dos silenciadores.

or yes, through Osprey 45 and Octane 9HD.
Had our CFO write this out in spanish for the search engine topics in Super also

:lol:
Gary Hughes
SILENCERCO
National Sales Manager
[email protected]
www.silencerco.com
801-417-5384
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Gary,

Super can have quite a range of energy. Common loads for old IPSC major would have been 150s at 1200 fps to 125s at 1440 fps. Looks pretty much like a supersonic .357 Mag. Obviously takes a very well built gun to tolerate that kinda stuff ... but they do exist and are still around even though Major power factor has been dropped some in recent years.
Gary_SilencerCo
Silent But Deadly

Eastern ,
You are absolutely correct on the wide variety of ammo avail for the super. Factory 130 Super is all we have tested. Octane is good to go on 9mm up to .357 Sig and 9x25 Dillon and Osprey 45 is good to go for .357 sig factory 125's...similar muzzle pressure, volume of gas etc will be good to go.
I would use an Octane 9HD on pretty much any super, as I have shot full power 140's .357 mag desert eagle with that can as well...it is tough as hell ....just grins and asks for more.

You'll pardon the spanish, worked for 7 years in a gun store just north of the US/Mexico border and .38 Super is like the national cartridge of mexico, when I hear .38 super, I think in spanish...
Bitching little cartridge though, had a series 70 colt lightweight commander in it...still regret selling it.
Gary Hughes
SILENCERCO
National Sales Manager
[email protected]
www.silencerco.com
801-417-5384
BLAKE2131
Silent But Deadly

Post by BLAKE2131 »

Im pretty sure the YHM Cobra can handle it and I know the Mystic and Infiniti can handle it

That is so true about the 38 Super being the national cartridge of mexico. Every mexican that came in to the gunshops I worked at and looked at the pistols always asked do you have any 38 super some would even ask for it in nickel or some kind of plating.

Do you have any sound data for the 9x25? I just want to know how loud it is unsuppressed.
Blake
Liberty Suppressors
Remember to follow us on Facebook and Twitter
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Gary,

Thanks! Very good to know. If the Octane 9HD will handle the 9x25 Dillon, I think it will handle all of the Super loadings I have ever used. I have a spare long barrel left from my IPSC days and a bunch of Super stuff. I think I will have the barrel threaded after all.

Was a bit concerned as there is always a possible ammo mixup and would hate to hurt my Octane 9HD!

Mike
Gary_SilencerCo
Silent But Deadly

I think the 9x25 muzzle report is measured in kiloton yield instead of Db.
Haha
Going off memory here but I think it was like 165db.
The pressure wave is pretty impressive.
Hadnt thought about it, but I bet a Mystic would be pretty awesome as well.
Gary Hughes
SILENCERCO
National Sales Manager
[email protected]
www.silencerco.com
801-417-5384
BLAKE2131
Silent But Deadly

Post by BLAKE2131 »

Kiloton yield lol

Can you do a video on the dillon with the osprey and octane. Ive asked people before at silencerco and they just blew me off and said what osprey could be used.
Blake
Liberty Suppressors
Remember to follow us on Facebook and Twitter
Gary_SilencerCo
Silent But Deadly

I'll try and get mike on that. Osprey wont work with 9x25... Its too much for it. Octane Is a better choice.
Just asked him, so we'll see.
Gary Hughes
SILENCERCO
National Sales Manager
[email protected]
www.silencerco.com
801-417-5384
glocker17
Silent But Deadly

Post by glocker17 »

For a number of years I sold more 38 Super ammo than anyone in the country. Sold it all to one customer in El Paso. Wonder if any of that stuff went to Mexico :roll:

Back in those days it was one box at a time across the bridge in the purses of little old ladies.

PS 38 Super is an excellent cartridge. I had a Sig 220 in Super for a while back in the day.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Gary_SilencerCo wrote:Eastern ,
You are absolutely correct on the wide variety of ammo avail for the super. Factory 130 Super is all we have tested. Octane is good to go on 9mm up to .357 Sig and 9x25 Dillon and Osprey 45 is good to go for .357 sig factory 125's...similar muzzle pressure, volume of gas etc will be good to go.
I would use an Octane 9HD on pretty much any super, as I have shot full power 140's .357 mag desert eagle with that can as well...it is tough as hell ....just grins and asks for more.

You'll pardon the spanish, worked for 7 years in a gun store just north of the US/Mexico border and .38 Super is like the national cartridge of mexico, when I hear .38 super, I think in spanish...
Bitching little cartridge though, had a series 70 colt lightweight commander in it...still regret selling it.

Thank you for the info Gary, you think Henry will approve shooting HV 357 mag-357 sig- and Super in the Octane? Would make it even better seller. :D
Last edited by Emilio on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Gary_SilencerCo wrote:El .38 super de 130 granos FMJ es compatible con el Osprey 45 y el Octane 9 HD. Hemos probado exitosamente disparar .357SIG a través de ambos silenciadores
Prettied it up a bit for you there :). As Spanish is my native tongue and I love writing in it almost as much as English, I though I'd help out.

.38 Super is also rather popular down here in Guatemala as well. To add a bit of context, it's popularity has its roots in the old days of the civil wars and the military dictatorships, where if you got caught with any weapon in an "official military" caliber (.45ACP or 9mm Luger), you were assumed to have stolen it from the army and could go to prison (i.e. get killed) for it, unless you were somehow connected to the government.
At least down here in Guatemala, economy and scarcity are slowly driving out .38 Super and replacing it with 9mm Luger.
I'll stick to my .45ACP and .22LR for self-defense tho. I never was much of a fan of Nickel plating or fancy engraving or stuff. Flat black, blue or Flat Dark Erth, with original wood or Pachmayr rubber grips for me thank you very much.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
Gary_SilencerCo
Silent But Deadly

Emilio wrote:

Thank you for the info Gary, you think Henry will approve shooting HV 357 mag-357 sig- and Super in the Octane? Would make it even better seller. :D
Emilio,
it is good to go with Octane...an Osprey 9 wont take it. Octane is a tougher can. I shot .357 Mag 140 Leverution through it on desert eagle and it was freaking awesome. :D
Gary Hughes
SILENCERCO
National Sales Manager
[email protected]
www.silencerco.com
801-417-5384
Gary_SilencerCo
Silent But Deadly

LavaRed wrote:
Gary_SilencerCo wrote:El .38 super de 130 granos FMJ es compatible con el Osprey 45 y el Octane 9 HD. Hemos probado exitosamente disparar .357SIG a través de ambos silenciadores
Prettied it up a bit for you there :). As Spanish is my native tongue and I love writing in it almost as much as English, I though I'd help out.

.38 Super is also rather popular down here in Guatemala as well. To add a bit of context, it's popularity has its roots in the old days of the civil wars and the military dictatorships, where if you got caught with any weapon in an "official military" caliber (.45ACP or 9mm Luger), you were assumed to have stolen it from the army and could go to prison (i.e. get killed) for it, unless you were somehow connected to the government.
At least down here in Guatemala, economy and scarcity are slowly driving out .38 Super and replacing it with 9mm Luger.
I'll stick to my .45ACP and .22LR for self-defense tho. I never was much of a fan of Nickel plating or fancy engraving or stuff. Flat black, blue or Flat Dark Erth, with original wood or Pachmayr rubber grips for me thank you very much.
Thank you sir :lol:
Gary Hughes
SILENCERCO
National Sales Manager
[email protected]
www.silencerco.com
801-417-5384
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Gary_SilencerCo wrote:
LavaRed wrote:

Thank you sir :lol:
You're most welcome :)
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Gary_SilencerCo wrote:
Emilio wrote:

Emilio,
it is good to go with Octane...an Osprey 9 wont take it. Octane is a tougher can. I shot .357 Mag 140 Leverution through it on desert eagle and it was freaking awesome. :D
Very cool Gary! :P Thanks for the info! :D
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!