Have suppressor, need spacer?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

mleaky

Have suppressor, need spacer?

Post by mleaky »

I have a Silencerco sparrow that I use on a Glock 23/AA conversion and an AR15 .22 conversion. The threaded portion of the AR15 conversion barrel is too long to thread the sparrow all the way to the shoulder of the barrel. Does anyone make a spacer or threaded spacer so I can screw on the sparrow properly.

Thx
CapnMorgan

Re: Have suppressor, need spacer?

Post by CapnMorgan »

I seen a thread on here somewhere about spacers but I cant find it. Gemtech makes them I think. It's a thead about a s&w 22lr AR ( I dont know what they are called)

You could probably go to a tool & die/machine shop and have one made too.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

I had this problem on a 10/22 barrel threaded by local smith to Gemtech specs, the can worked fine with other guns, and my other can worked fine with the 10/22. I had no idea that Gemtech or anyone lese made a spacer. On the rec of my smith, I used a machine spacer, basically a fender washer machined to be perfectly flat. I bought this from an industrial fasteners supply place for about $1. It fixed the problem perfectly.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
CapnMorgan

Post by CapnMorgan »

cajun 22
Silent But Deadly

Post by cajun 22 »

tractiongrips

Post by tractiongrips »

Tractiongrips©
Total Grip Control for Pistols©
tractiongrips

Post by tractiongrips »

Spacers are back in stock, after several design improvements were included. They are CNC made and now have a knurled outer diameter. One side is machined to allow barrels that aren't threaded all the way to the shoulder to fit properly. They can be shipped plain, or blued.
http://www.tractiongrips.com/catalog/i12.html
Tractiongrips©
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

tractiongrips wrote:Spacers are back in stock, after several design improvements were included. They are CNC made and now have a knurled outer diameter. One side is machined to allow barrels that aren't threaded all the way to the shoulder to fit properly. They can be shipped plain, or blued.
VERY NICE! Finally some threaded the round spacer. :D any plans to do for 9mm carbines?
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

You could have the longer threads cut shorter like
they should be for 22 lr or have the longer threads
converted to the sparrow threads.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Yes but most need to stay 16" and cutting and crown cost more than a spacer!

The traction guys threaded spacer looks nice but not sure on the length, shouldn't it be 2.35 instead of 2.50 to give 004?

Maybe I need more coffee? :mrgreen:
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Emilio wrote:Yes but most need to stay 16" and cutting and crown cost more than a spacer!

The traction guys threaded spacer looks nice but not sure on the length, shouldn't it be 2.35 instead of 2.50 to give 004?

Maybe I need more coffee? :mrgreen:
Many barrels that they say are 16" are more like 16.25+
and if only .200 of the threads need to be cut off
then you will still be 16+
Sparrow threads are .476 long so even less thread
cutting is needed.
Its better to have the barrel with the correct thread
length for use with a can than to use a spacer I
believe.
O2HeN2
Silent But Deadly

Post by O2HeN2 »

When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

Most of us still comprehend all of our accessories that make up our weapon systems.
But as old age creeps in we will forget some things that go here and there. :mrgreen:
I think it is best not to use any kind of adaptor or spacer.
Have your barrels threaded correctly.
tractiongrips

Post by tractiongrips »

The spacers are really designed for people to install on their AR-15 rifles, when uing a rimfire conversion unit. Cutting the thread length down on the rifle wouldn't be practical if you're switching back to the standard flash hider when not using the rimfire kit and suppressor. A lot of folks are buying them to use for other applications, but the primary use was for AR-15 and M16 rifles. They are a far better option than the stacks of washers I was seeing people use at the range. When I got my Pilot suppressor, I couldn't use it with my rifle using the Ciener kit, so off to the shop I went. Some other people asked about them and this is what came out of that need.
Tractiongrips©
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

I maybe have 3 guns I use spacers, two I made myself out of thread protectors or FH and the screw on and stay put and are square and work perfect.

Threading/ cutting/ crowning. costs much more and if job is not done right you are screwed for OAL. OR if your gun shoots really accurate you run risk of screwing this up!

I say if it threaded and all you need is spacer and your gun shoot great AND you have good warranty on the gun that maybe void, then try a spacer first before spending much more.

I like threaded spacers because the stay put for ever, you want flash hider back on, then don't lock tite.

I have some guns that needed adapters , same thing ZERO issue!
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

tractiongrips wrote:The spacers are really designed for people to install on their AR-15 rifles, when uing a rimfire conversion unit. Cutting the thread length down on the rifle wouldn't be practical if you're switching back to the standard flash hider when not using the rimfire kit and suppressor. A lot of folks are buying them to use for other applications, but the primary use was for AR-15 and M16 rifles. They are a far better option than the stacks of washers I was seeing people use at the range. When I got my Pilot suppressor, I couldn't use it with my rifle using the Ciener kit, so off to the shop I went. Some other people asked about them and this is what came out of that need.
I'm thinking the op is using a real 22 barrel as he called it a AR15 conversion barrel not a 223/5.56 barrel.
KKF used to make 22 conversion barrels that you used the stock ciener kit with and they are 1:16 twist too.
When cmmg and spikes 22 barrels first came out they put .600+ threads on them then later the found that 22"s should be .400-.438 thread length and now they give them the short threads.
I do agree with the spacer getting used on a 223/5.56 barrel with longer threads as thats better then having your muzzle
almost against the blast baffle with a some 22 cans.
rill
Silent But Deadly

Post by rill »

tractiongrips wrote:Spacers are back in stock, after several design improvements were included. They are CNC made and now have a knurled outer diameter. One side is machined to allow barrels that aren't threaded all the way to the shoulder to fit properly. They can be shipped plain, or blued.

Thank you so much for making these... I just ordered, and received very quickly, three of the threaded spacers and couldn't be more happy. I have been using the non threaded versions for several years now, and it's really nice to have the spacer permanently mounted to my barrels. Having the relief area built into one side is great... Bravo...!