Finished my Form 1 .22 can

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

alemonkey
Silent Operator

Finished my Form 1 .22 can

Post by alemonkey »

Ok, not "Finished-finished" :D . I still have to decide if I want to leave it brushed aluminum or paint it with something like Duracoat. I made it a little bigger than necessary because it's primarily intended for a 6.5" CMMG .22 AR and a tiny can would look a little funny IMO. Dimensions are 1.125" OD, 6" long, with 7 K baffles. The barrel threads and blast baffle are 303 stainless. Everything else is 6061 aluminum.

I know it's hard to capture sound reduction on video, but here's a sample. This is with supersonic ammo. Subs are much quieter. This particular gun is very noisy just because of the action cycling. The same can on a bolt gun is very quiet. I have also shot it on a friend's Sig Mosquito and it was quieter on that pistol than on my AR.

http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 ... EO0014.mp4

I've learned a lot from this board so I wanted to thank everyone who has posted info and given input to beginners like myself. There are things I would probably do differently next time but overall I'm very happy with the results. Next up is a 300 BLK can!
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Re: Finished my Form 1 .22 can

Post by daviscustom »

Nice work! How about some close-ups of your baffles....maybe some video of the subs in your AR and on the bolt gun?

How long is the barrel on your AR?
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I am glad you finished your can.I would encourage you to talk to B about having it anodized baffles and all.No I don't work for him but he's a square shooter and a long time supporter of this group.If not anodizing gun coat works well.Al is great but even .22's take there toll and will cut through them without some protection.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

After hearing all the +'s and -'s.... I used Duracoat on the exterior of my last two aluminum tubes.
They have held up better than expected.
Would I use it again....Yes.

I'm currently working on a CMMG 6.5" ported integral with nine stainless K baffles....will post soon.
alemonkey
Silent Operator

Post by alemonkey »

The barrel is 6.5" right now. I'm debating on cutting it down to 4.5" to keep high velocity ammo subsonic. That would put the end of the can about even with the front of the rail.

I'm going to the range either tonight or tomorrow so I'll try to remember to get some video with the bolt action. I do have video of just one round of subsonic with the AR. The action on that thing really makes a racket. Interestingly enough, I don't really notice much difference between shooting it wet or dry. Wet accumulates more crud but it's easier to clean afterwards.

1 round subsonic:

http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 ... EO0015.mp4

My camera doesn't focus down close very well so this is a little blurry, but here's one of the baffles before the scoop and vent hole were added.

Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

Good work - well done
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

Nice work! Enjoy
dusten

Post by dusten »

That looks pretty good. I think you will be much happier if you cut the barrel back to 4.5" or 5". I have a 5.5" spikes barrel that keeps Federal bulk pack subsonic about 99.5% of the time. It is nice to not have to worry about buying subsonic ammo.