Using a silencer during the wait period?

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Using a silencer during the wait period?

Post by rimshaker »

My FFL/SOT dealer is also a gun range. I was told that i could actually use the silencer in their range during the long ATF waiting period. Obviously i just can't take it home. Sounded too good to be true. Is that actually legal and common practice with dealers who have ranges?
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Re: Using a silencer during the wait period?

Post by rogerme »

rimshaker wrote:My FFL/SOT dealer is also a gun range. I was told that i could actually use the silencer in their range during the long ATF waiting period. Obviously i just can't take it home. Sounded too good to be true. Is that actually legal and common practice with dealers who have ranges?
Depends on the dealer. Some of the smaller dealers will even meet you at the range to pay. I would say these folks are the exception and not the rule.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

rimshaker wrote:... Is that actually legal

Absofarkinglutely legal. As long as the subject dealer is in proximity to the NFA item. At least from the Fed requirement standpoint.
rimshaker wrote:and common practice with dealers who have ranges?
The dealer I go through doesn't have a range, but will join us when we shoot... at least sometimes. When he does join us, he will bring along the NFA items that those in the group are awaiting final transfer on. Makes the $50 xfer fee he charges worth every penny.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
trey_phish83
Silent But Deadly

Post by trey_phish83 »

my dealer encourages me to come over to his farm and give it a go while waiting.

then serves a cold one on tap.

i'm spoiled.
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Ah ok, great to hear! It sure takes the sting out of waiting 6+ months. They charge higher transfer fees ($75) for silencers, but in this case it's definitely worth it.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

When I bought a MKII Sten, my dealer met me at the range we are both members of -

He brought a M2 Carbine and a few other toys too. We put about 300 to 400 rounds through the Sten.

At the end of the day, I took home the mag well, the barrel, the barrel nut, all the mags, the bolt and trigger group. Basically I took home everything except the registered tube. All the parts I took home are parts that I could have legally bought in a parts kit - so no laws were broken, and since I already paid for the smg, they were actually mine anyway.

It gave me an opportunity to really clean the parts, inspect them for wear, determine if I wanted to re-park any parts, and see what parts were most subject to wear - so I could buy some replacement parts too. A lot of dealers probably wouldn't have done that - but mine is a friend of mine too.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
No2sc2
Senior Silent Operator

Post by No2sc2 »

The NFA item they sell is "registered" to the FFL class 3 dealer until they sell(transfer) it to a customer. So THEY HAVE POSSESSION RIGHTS TO IT, they must be there with you tho when you're using it. Just like if let someone shoot your suppressor at a range, as long as you're in possession power, you can let ANYONE shoot it.
jeepjon
Silent Operator

Post by jeepjon »

Have done it several times....makes the wait a little more tolerable (or torture because you will want to take it home!).

-Jon
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

rimshaker wrote:Ah ok, great to hear! It sure takes the sting out of waiting 6+ months. They charge higher transfer fees ($75) for silencers, but in this case it's definitely worth it.

75 for Nfa transfers is pretty cheap the local guy I use to use before I got my licence was hitting me at 150 each .
Gagtoe

Post by Gagtoe »

Damn, the place I use charges 25 dollars, he more than makes it up though with me shooting exclusively on his range for the next 6 months.
No2sc2
Senior Silent Operator

Post by No2sc2 »

My dealer does free transfer I think...well atleast for firearms its free, it might be like $25 for NFA transfer.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

66427vette wrote:
75 for Nfa transfers is pretty cheap the local guy I use to use before I got my licence was hitting me at 150 each .
Do you have to put your hands up? Cause $150 is robbery. $75 is ridiculous.
TheSentinel

Post by TheSentinel »

I asked my dealer monday if i could shoot with my suppressor(that i am waiting on the stamp for), and they said NO. On the off chance that my transfer didn't go through, they didn't want it to be used. Even though they have my $850........

I might have to find myself a new dealer......
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

renegade wrote:
66427vette wrote:

75 is dirt cheap for Saint Louis . Lot if shitty dealers here who take your money and sit on order for3 months. Only 2 decent / honest dealers in area.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

TheSentinel wrote:I asked my dealer monday if i could shoot with my suppressor(that i am waiting on the stamp for), and they said NO. On the off chance that my transfer didn't go through, they didn't want it to be used. Even though they have my $850........

Does your dealer have a range? If so, definitely find another dealer. The silencer is PAID for already by YOU. You own it! The dealer is just a babysitter for the silencer until ATF gives the ok to legally transfer it to you on paper.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

rimshaker wrote:
TheSentinel wrote:I asked my dealer monday if i could shoot with my suppressor(that i am waiting on the stamp for), and they said NO. On the off chance that my transfer didn't go through, they didn't want it to be used. Even though they have my $850........

Does your dealer have a range? If so, definitely find another dealer. The silencer is PAID for already by YOU. You own it! The dealer is just a babysitter for the silencer until ATF gives the ok to legally transfer it to you on paper.

Not true it's the dealers can until forms come back. Dick move buy your dealer.
Ron Dishop Silencers
Silent Operator

Post by Ron Dishop Silencers »

I have 40 ac behind my place with targets set at 25 ; 50; & 75 yards if my customers want to use their suppressor they can , they own the suppressor I’m just babysitting it for a while.
Ron Dishop Silencers
352-795-4511
Email: [email protected]
FFL / SOT
TheSentinel

Post by TheSentinel »

rimshaker wrote:

Yes, they have a range, and a pretty nice one at that. Ironically, Monday, when I took my son there to shoot, the day they would't let me shoot it, was the day my form was approved...

When I pick it up, I intend to politely inform them I will be finding a new dealer.

The dealer in question is Open Range, Crestwood Ky
sarthree
Senior Silent Operator

Post by sarthree »

I did it...but it just pissed me off that I couldn't take it home and I couldn't hear how quiet it was with the glock guy next to me blowing through his ammo.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

sarthree wrote:I did it...but it just pissed me off that I couldn't take it home and I couldn't hear how quiet it was with the glock guy next to me blowing through his ammo.
Heh yep i know the feeling. Now i only try to go Mon-thur during the afternoons when sometimes i'm alone at the range. But hey either way, at least we're using our cans... which hopefully makes the waiting period feel a lot shorter.
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

renegade wrote:
66427vette wrote:
not everyone is as cool as you! I've never minded the drive to come see you! let me know if you ever decide to get back in the game!

ps. the ?Norrell still puts a smile on my face every time !
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
No2sc2
Senior Silent Operator

Post by No2sc2 »

You paid for it, and if you decide to shoot it, you know what happens if the form comes back denied, of course you not expecting to get a refund on a silencer you used... Shops just don't think sometimes, you know that could have been a gauranteed sale for them if they let you shoot your silencer.