Stand-alone M203

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

LFOD1776
Silent But Deadly

Stand-alone M203

Post by LFOD1776 »

I finally got my Spike's Kaos launcher all set up the way I wanted with a Mepro GLS...

... and then I stumble upon another stroke of genius from the Israelis:

http://www.fab-defense.com/en/category- ... n-kit.html

I almost wish I'd gotten a regular M203 just so I could have gone with that! Maybe I can make room in the safe for a second launcher? Sigh.
NRA Life Member
mk23
Silent But Deadly

Re: Stand-alone M203

Post by mk23 »

Is it for available for sale in the US?
LFOD1776
Silent But Deadly

Post by LFOD1776 »

Looks like it. The Mako Group is their US distributor.

I've also purchased items from their factory store in Israel and taken them home in my baggage. Nothing illegal about that unless you fail to declare the goods on your customs form, as they're not regulated munitions, just plastic parts. Of course, I was in Israel on business anyway. :)

http://www.themakogroup.com/category_s/75.htm
NRA Life Member
mk23
Silent But Deadly

Post by mk23 »

That's nice!

Thanks for the link, I might have to pick one up for my 203.
poizzin
Silent But Deadly

Post by poizzin »

oh snap, I am getting ready to waste another $400
Supressors
AAC - 7
Degroat - 2
AWC - 1
Don Floyd - 1
Tros- 1
HCA- 1
Shea
Silent Operator

Post by Shea »

Here's my stand alone...

Would love to see some more pics of the Meprolight and your
thoughts and a review.

Thanks,
Shea
Shea
Silent Operator

Post by Shea »

LFOD1776,

Have you thought about an AGP side folding stock? You
would probably lose a little weight and much more
compact when folded. I run one on my dedicated TalSol
AR-22 intergral and it's a really nice stock.

Thanks,
Shea
LFOD1776
Silent But Deadly

Post by LFOD1776 »

The Mepro is a little weird. You sort of peer into it like a conventional dot sight, but there's no objective lens at the front, so you can't see through it. The effect is that you see a floating dot in one eye, you see down-range with the other eye, and your brain puts the two pictures together. To see the equivalent for yourself, try using a red dot sight with both eyes open, but leave the objective lens cover on the sight.

The dot is big and orange, bright enough, but not overwhelmingly so. The illumination isn't adjustable, as it's fiber/visible light or tritium-powered.

Dialing in range is very easy, of course. You just push the button and rotate the knob to the desired range. Ergonomically it works best all the way back, close to the buttstock, and I think that's where the Israelis mount it on the Tavor.

Obviously we have limited options for sighting with the M203. I had intended to just use a simple ladder sight with an LMT front sight, but the Spike's rail is too far out-of-spec to work with the LMT sight! Then I tried a horrible contraption with a crappy, weird tri-rail attachment and a rail-grabbing quadrant sight, which was actually usable with the left eye, if somewhat ungainly. So I kept an eye out for a Mepro and snagged a used one I saw for sale at about 50% under MSRP.

I also searched high and low for some kind of mounting bracket that would let the EOTech sight work on a top rail, to no avail. I thought I'd seen something like that once, but it must have been my imagination.

As for the AGP stock, I hadn't really thought of it. Years ago I experimented with ACE folding stocks but was never really happy with them. Probably the very smallest/lightest option for the rail mount is the LMT pistol grip stock -- no buttstock, though -- and totally impractical for long-range. I am feeling some envy for the FAB stock; everything they make is polymer. I bet it's the smallest, lightest thing out there.
NRA Life Member
Shea
Silent Operator

Post by Shea »

LFOD1776 wrote:The Mepro is a little weird. You sort of peer into it like a conventional dot sight, but there's no objective lens at the front, so you can't see through it. The effect is that you see a floating dot in one eye, you see down-range with the other eye, and your brain puts the two pictures together. To see the equivalent for yourself, try using a red dot sight with both eyes open, but leave the objective lens cover on the sight.

The dot is big and orange, bright enough, but not overwhelmingly so. The illumination isn't adjustable, as it's fiber/visible light or tritium-powered.

Dialing in range is very easy, of course. You just push the button and rotate the knob to the desired range. Ergonomically it works best all the way back, close to the buttstock, and I think that's where the Israelis mount it on the Tavor.

Obviously we have limited options for sighting with the M203. I had intended to just use a simple ladder sight with an LMT front sight, but the Spike's rail is too far out-of-spec to work with the LMT sight! Then I tried a horrible contraption with a crappy, weird tri-rail attachment and a rail-grabbing quadrant sight, which was actually usable with the left eye, if somewhat ungainly. So I kept an eye out for a Mepro and snagged a used one I saw for sale at about 50% under MSRP.

I also searched high and low for some kind of mounting bracket that would let the EOTech sight work on a top rail, to no avail. I thought I'd seen something like that once, but it must have been my imagination.

As for the AGP stock, I hadn't really thought of it. Years ago I experimented with ACE folding stocks but was never really happy with them. Probably the very smallest/lightest option for the rail mount is the LMT pistol grip stock -- no buttstock, though -- and totally impractical for long-range. I am feeling some envy for the FAB stock; everything they make is polymer. I bet it's the smallest, lightest thing out there.
The Meprolight sounds very interesting, I would love to
try one out sometime. May not work great on my Knights
stock since I would have to mount it pretty far forward due
to the ladder sight.

Sucks that the Spikes rail is so out of spec but looks like
you found a nice solution with the Meprolight. Looks great.
I've also played with the Ace stocks and they were just
okay. Really try the Agp stock on your setup, I think you
will really like it. Lightweight, good lockup and qd sling
attachments. I think it will finish it off nicely.

Thanks,
Shea
LFOD1776
Silent But Deadly

Post by LFOD1776 »

I'll have to check out that AGP stock.

I set my M203 frame up with my "standard" AR back-end consisting of an LMT buttstock and Blackhawk single point ambi sling adapter. The adapter makes for a really nice, flat-hanging weapon used in conjunction with a single-point sling.
NRA Life Member