Happy day - stamps arrived

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

CMV
Silent But Deadly

Happy day - stamps arrived

Post by CMV »

Yay!!!!!!! mailed on 3/24 & in mailbox today - exactly 180 days. Both forms mailed in same envelope, both returned in a single envelope. Did on trust, signature on forms is Sara B. Jones - I guess that's the examiner?

No issue leaving 4h blank - worried about nothing. 4i "Research & development" (I'm in NC) and no problems. Didn't need any wordy/lengthy reason like I've seen recommended for NC people - just Research & development was sufficient.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Re: Happy day - stamps arrived

Post by Enfield577 »

CMV wrote:Yay!!!!!!! mailed on 3/24 & in mailbox today - exactly 180 days. Both forms mailed in same envelope, both returned in a single envelope. Did on trust, signature on forms is Sara B. Jones - I guess that's the examiner?

No issue leaving 4h blank - worried about nothing. 4i "Research & development" (I'm in NC) and no problems. Didn't need any wordy/lengthy reason like I've seen recommended for NC people - just Research & development was sufficient.

Good for you - so you will be cutting metal soon
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

I assume this is for a silencer! I left 4h blank also. For a SBR, fill in 4h to keep engraving simple.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

CMV wrote:Yay!!!!!!! mailed on 3/24 & in mailbox today - exactly 180 days. Both forms mailed in same envelope, both returned in a single envelope. Did on trust, signature on forms is Sara B. Jones - I guess that's the examiner?

Thats because the law was changed and now they accept "R&D".
calinb
Silent Operator

Post by calinb »

Approvals have definitely sped up! I expected to wait over a year, based on the slope of the approval lead time curve of six month ago, but what a surprise I discovered in the mail yesterday. Just over 5 months from BATFE receipt of the application to delivery in my mailbox. Sandra J. Snook was the examiner of my trust applications.

Update:

I looked at the dates and it was actually close to six months for approval. That still represents a recent improvement in BATFE "service."

Form 1 received: 3/30/2012
Pending: 5/10/2012
Approved: 9/19/2012
NFA forms and stamps postmarked: 9/20/2012
Received: 9/25/2012

So almost exactly six months for the Form 1 round-trip.