SBR ownership in MI

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

BriggsRi
Silent But Deadly

SBR ownership in MI

Post by BriggsRi »

Is there a way to legally own a SBR in the state of MI.

Looking at a possible transfer from a NFA friendly state where NFA items are the norm not the exception.

Thank you
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Re: SBR ownership in MI

Post by tsands974 »

MI just recently allowed the ownership of suppressors, but SBRs are still a no-go. Have a buddy up there who keeps me up to date on their NFA status as he wants an SBR as well but can't.
BriggsRi
Silent But Deadly

Post by BriggsRi »

Thanks, I'm good with the silencer transfers, just need to get the SBR thing sorted out.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

There is nothing to sort out, you can't have an SBR in Michigan, plain and simple.

Permanently affix(per ATF regs) a silencer to a SBR length barrel to bring it over the NFA SBR length and you are fine, thats it.
BC98

Post by BC98 »

Machine guns are legal. That's about the only way you're going to get a short upper (assuming for an SBR'ed AR) in MI. SBR's are prohibited by state law there and none of the legislators wanted to touch that law yet.
slickster81

Post by slickster81 »

SBR's in Michigan are not prohibited by State Law they are prohibited by the State Constitution, thus the Attorney General cannot simply write an opinion regarding ownership (i.e. Machine Guns and most recently Suppressors). Making SBR ownership legal in MI will require legislative action at the least, and possibly a popular vote via ballot proposal.

Sucks.
BC98

Post by BC98 »

slickster81 wrote:SBR's in Michigan are not prohibited by State Law they are prohibited by the State Constitution, thus the Attorney General cannot simply write an opinion regarding ownership (i.e. Machine Guns and most recently Suppressors). Making SBR ownership legal in MI will require legislative action at the least, and possibly a popular vote via ballot proposal.

Sucks.
I believe it's a state law: MCL 750.224b
BriggsRi
Silent But Deadly

Post by BriggsRi »

Well that's too bad, MI is off the list.

I remember growing up in MI and people would shy away from NFA topics - they would get all funny as if someone was listening in on them :lol:
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

BriggsRi wrote:Well that's too bad, MI is off the list.

I remember growing up in MI and people would shy away from NFA topics - they would get all funny as if someone was listening in on them :lol:
People have loosened their panties since then.

Non-C&R machine guns were legalized in 2006-ish. State law says you need a "license" to own a machine gun or a silencer. The AG issued an interpretation saying that the NFA registration paperwork was a license for the purposes of the state law. Last year, the current AG issued an opinion stating that silencers were covered as well.

Since then, a number of people have started buying MGs and suppressors. They are not entirely uncommon at shooting ranges any more. I get more enthusiastic curiosity than anything when I show up shooting mine.

Unfortunately, SBRs/SBSs are regulated under a different section of the law, and will require a legislative change. I moved here already owning some SBRs and and SBS, and they have to be stored out of state. :cry:
BriggsRi
Silent But Deadly

Post by BriggsRi »

How do can you store NFA items out of state?
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

BriggsRi wrote:How do can you store NFA items out of state?
Bank deposit box works well. You can just put the receiver in the safe. Everything else is unregulated parts. (I did take my short AR15 upper and put it on a pistol lower, so there would be no confusion.)

You can also leave them with a friend/relative, locked in a case that only you have the key to. I believe there are also some gun shops/ranges in Nevada that rent lockers for California residents to store their NFA stuff in for example, also.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

BriggsRi wrote:How do can you store NFA items out of state?
Bank Safety Deposit box.

In a safe that only you have access to(like at your brothers house, or parents etc).
BriggsRi
Silent But Deadly

Post by BriggsRi »

Originally Posted By RenegadeX
0) Do not contact BATFE about updating registry
1) Replace short uppers with 16 inch uppers
2) Buy stripped lowers for use as pistols for all short uppers
3) Put back in original config when you move back to a free state.
I seen this on AR15, is this a legit option?