integral or not?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

ERMaag

integral or not?

Post by ERMaag »

I am in the market for my second can and I would like it for my ruger mkii. I'm torn between getting "the legend" from liberty cans or getting a pac-lite barrel from ts and a element or sparrow. The only difference (besides price) I can think of is with the element or sparrow I can put it on different host weapons including my 5.7 (at least the sparrow can).

Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions?
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Re: integral or not?

Post by Emilio »

I play devil. :mrgreen:

stuck with one gun,not much more quiet, $$$, harder to clean, what if gun breaks? board stiff . :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Emilio wrote:I play devil. :mrgreen:

stuck with one gun,not much more quiet, $$$, harder to clean, what if gun breaks? board stiff . :mrgreen:
If the integral is welded to the pistol and the pistol breaks then you are out a integral, if the suppressor comes off and the pistol breaks you can just have a new pistol profiled and setup for that can and nothing but time and a little $$$ is lost.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Integrate have fallen out of favor.

Thre are only a few reasons IMO to buy an integral.

1. The seemless/subtle look.
2. On a pistol the longer sight radius having the front sight on the can will give you. For people using red dots this is moot.
3. Non-SBR / meet legal length. Some guns it doesn't make a ton of sense to sbr like IMO a 10/22 or a 700, but integrals on those have their place.
4. Specific design or required porting. The mp5-SD requires an integral obviously. Porting the gasses off to slow velocity doesn't work with a muzzle can.

Personally, I like the look but don't have the cash to swing integrals. I would probably use a red dot on a 22/45 so not needed there. I haven't had the need for a short 700 yet, my 10/22 is small enough for me. And I think porting is sort of dumb and limiting compared to good factory ammo or specific reloads.

Notice none of those options are ever "required". Just might be preferred. If you are looking multiple uses instead of multiple cans, I suspect integral is not for you financially.
BigDave@SMDW,LLC
Silent But Deadly

Post by BigDave@SMDW,LLC »

Integrals, like Este said, have had their day so to speak. We still offer them as some people just plain like them and want them. Doesn't matter if it cant be moved to this host or that. The people that we sell our MK III integral to have already gotten a can or two at the minimum and are wanting something a little more exotic. Also, it has this cool factor that their buddies can only match with another integral. I like the clean lines of a nice MK III integral, but personally if it is early in the NFA game for you, I would honestly recommend muzzle cans as it does open many more options for you.

I have said it before and I will say it again though, get what YOU want. If you want the integral, get yourself one, if you want versatility, then you should get the Kodiak, Sparrow, Spectre II or something like that. I personally like the Spectre II over the Sparrow if you are going with a non-Liberty design. That can is pretty sweet. (Yes, I know that they are both Silencerco products...)

I have seen people with integrals that dont shoot their muzzle cans because they like their integral better, it is an individual thing. If you want to test drive a Legend before you decide, you are more than welcome to come by the facility here and shoot our demo gun. Just call in and make an appointment and we will hook you up with some trigger time.

I personally like integrals, I also like muzzle cans, but integrals are cooler... :mrgreen:

Hope this helps,

David
http://www.libertycans.net

Dean of "LSU" Liberty Suppressors Underground
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

The best advice I can give is buy BOTH.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

rogerme wrote:The best advice I can give is buy BOTH.
+1 :lol:
Shamrock-MP
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shamrock-MP »

BigDave@SMDW,LLC wrote:I have said it before and I will say it again though, get what YOU want. If you want the integral, get yourself one, if you want versatility, then you should get the Kodiak, Sparrow, Spectre II or something like that. I personally like the Spectre II over the Sparrow if you are going with a non-Liberty design. That can is pretty sweet. (Yes, I know that they are both Silencerco products...)
++1

I suggested (above) to a friend with the exact same question a few weeks ago. He now has a Torch pending, is deciding on his next can probably Spectre, then Osprey, and after that the Legend. So yes buy both, then decide whats next. There is always a next.
Form4
Suppressors and Firearms
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(502)671-9799
www.form4.org
ERMaag

Post by ERMaag »

Great advice guys!!!! I don't think i'll go with the intergral, this will be my second can and I would like to use it on more than one host. From what I have read I may be able to use a .22 can on my fnh 5.7 as well. has anyone had any experience with thise?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

ERMaag wrote:Great advice guys!!!! I don't think i'll go with the intergral, this will be my second can and I would like to use it on more than one host. From what I have read I may be able to use a .22 can on my fnh 5.7 as well. has anyone had any experience with thise?
Only some 22lr cans are rated for 5.7

You gotta talk with the manufacturer or check their website to be sure.
ACKF
Silent Operator

Post by ACKF »

I like the Ruger looks with an integral but would probably go with a screw on. I made a screw on for a customers MKII ruger that was much quieter than the integral version he had. I think integrals are better suited for long arms.