Allergies....

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade

MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Allergies....

Post by MJF1911 »

I know when its Spring, and it isn't because the snow melts and it gets warmer out. Three days now I've been sneezing, uncontrollably watering eyes, runny nose, and sinuses giving me a pounding headache. It is miserable around here. I powered through it yesterday and did a little shooting at the range then went and rode my dirtbike for a little while but today is just blah. I'm working up the energy to go downstairs and hammer out some .45s on my Dillon. None of the medicines work very well, Zyrtec is the best and it only marginally works. Its also pretty expensive. I'm not sure when this bout will subside but its really annoying to be completely beat up by something I can't even see.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
Decal
Silent Operator

Re: Allergies....

Post by Decal »

My doctor told me to get Claritin. It's dispensed over the counter by a pharmacist but without a prescription. $22 for 20 pills.

My daughter and I have this nagging itchy throat where we try to clear our throats constantly. I know it drives others crazy but there's not a lot we can do about it.
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

I wish I could get by with just one pill a day. Right now I'm on a 12-hour Sudafed twice a day, an Alegra in the morning and the every present asthma inhailer as needed. When spring gets in full gear I'll add a Singular at night and 2 8-hour Clortimitron's morning and night. BTW, if anyone is interested, you can get around the buy-one-box-at-a-time restriction for Sudafed (or the cheap Walmart equivalent) by getting you doctor to right you a prescription for a year. I buy a 90-day supply at a time and because it's a prescription, you don't pay sales tax.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
hapidogbreath

Post by hapidogbreath »

Allergy and asthma associates in Pa helped me. Was in a house with 2 cats and was fine. Shots work!!!! :lol:
CrazyDoc
Silent But Deadly

Post by CrazyDoc »

How do the shots help a lady i work with swears by them!

Toole
"If hooking a cat up to a car battery will help cure cancer, I have one thing to tell you. Red is positive and black is negative.

I will say no more."
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

I had allergies like yours when I was a kid. Severe pollen/grass/weed/mold allergies. They were unbearable, so I did the shots for 3 years. Apparently they gradually desensitize your immune system to triggers that cause an overreaction. Now, I only get a little sneezy now and then(and I grew up here). IIRC my mom's insurance covered most of it. You can get different allergies from the process tho. Funny thing is, before the shots, I was not allergic to cats. Now my eyes swell shut if I even get in the same room with one. I exaggerate, but I can't touch the damn things. It's just as well. I'm a dog person. They sure get you over any fear of needles too :lol: Two shots twice a week for three years will do that. It sucked, but I'm glad it worked for me. I hear they only work for about half the people that get them. Sounds like it's worth a shot(or 300) for you.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

I had severe allergies all of my life. Divorced at age 30 and almost OVERNIGHT very little allergies. In my case I think most of the allergies at that time came from stress as well as sharing the house with someone. Divorce eliminated both a huge amount of stress and changed the living situation.

Now, when I throw myself into a high allergy situation the problems return. What are high allergy situations? Riding my motorcycle. Spending a LOT of time outside especially during high pollen seasons. Spending too much time in a damp basement or inside the horse barn is an equal share of allergy peril.

Alas, to this day.... riding my motorcycle is like purposely shoving cut grass up my nose. When you throw your body into a situation where you inhale vast-quantities of the "outdoors" over an extended period of time at a high speed... don't be surprised if you have an allergic reaction even WITH medicine. Don't wonder why you sneeze, you know why.

Personally I try and avoid as many pills and shots as possible. Now I simply limit my exposure to high-allergy situations. No more 3 hour motorcycle rides. I can ride for a bit, take a break, come back to it.

Now that your body chemistry is changing find your new zone of operation.

I am fortunate to have purchased and constructed a hypo-allergenic home. No carpets... all hardwood and ceramic tile, central air system with filter. No plants, no dampness, no mold, no pets other than a very clean dog. This provides me with an allergy free evening and night of sleep. As such I can handle 3 hours of surveys at a horse farm and my system can handle it without uncontrollable sneezing.

Look at your environment. If I had to guess I bet it is not helping. It has been my experience that most allergy sufferers are their own worst enemy.
-----
Ick
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

I've had allergies ever since I was a little kid, dogs, cats, trees dust, pollen, etc. use to get shots but now just Teledrin and benidril work most of the time.
The pollin count around here is at 10, the max and the cars are covered with it, I wear a bandana like a bandit if I have to go outdoors, which I can't do anymore so it works out.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

It's amazing that I don't have black-lung from being Cigarette-smoke/Monte-Carlo hot-boxed by my parents while growing up. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with me being allergic to just about everything (except for yeast and cockroaches). It did solidify my disdain for all things smoked.

OTC allergy meds don't work for me anymore. They started to loose effectiveness gradually over time.

3 years of allergy shots (twice per week) and I'm starting to notice slight improvement.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I'm doing pretty good now. I'm fine most of the year, but that initial blast of pollen and green stuff is what gets me.

I do keep the carpets vacuumed and bedding washed frequently, so that keeps dust down. I don't have any pets or kids running around so that helps. My work is all outside 2 on/2 off so I'm pretty much surrounded by allergens at work.

I haven't ever been checked for any specific allergen but I would agree that stress in a big contributor to sensitivity. For the most part I'm pretty low stress but occasionally things do get stressful and I notice it.

Good thing I'm not allergic to shooting!
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

No one has built a fence around the desert, you can move there and shoot all year long.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I'm pretty content where I'm at... its mostly desert in the central and eastern parts of the state. Plus I have a pretty good job so I can't complain too much.
TRX

Post by TRX »

Decal wrote:My doctor told me to get Claritin.
Claritin has been known to cause depression. Be alert for mood changes.
accrew85

Post by accrew85 »

I take allegra without the decongestant before bed and use veramyst nasal spray in the morning, this is the best combo evar..... I am allergic to everything and have not had a problem since I started this...oh and I get someone else to cut my grass now...... I tell my wife its " a medical thing" I cant do yard work. :wink:
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

I have allergies and my doc said to alternate between the medicines like Allegra, Claratin and Zyrtec.

The way they explained it is that your body builds immunities to the different medicines, so by changing them every few days to a new one your body never builds the immunity.

I call it the ZAC cycle. Been running it for months and no allergies noticed at all!

As always i am not a MD so be sure to check with your MD and see if this will work for you.....disclaimer done.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

A few friends had mentioned taking a little honey in my morning coffee would possibly help. One coworker who used to suffer from allergies does the same and hasn't had any reactions for several years also recommended it. I started early this summer and we'll see when spring comes around.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I tell ya, the worst is the constant itch/tickle in the nose, you know that tickle you get just before a really big sneaze, but the sneeze never comes and the tickle just stays. Oh damn, that is the worst!!!

I've gotten better as I've gotten older. In addition to the antihystimeans that are out there, there is a relativly new product called NasalCrom. It can be used in addition to the antihystimeans because it is a hystimean blocker. It's a nasal spray and you have to use it a few days until it get into your system but it's great stuff.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Thats how I felt for a week straight this spring.
bravo619

Post by bravo619 »

The only surefire cure is to move to Arizona! :D
"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.