10.5" CQB 5.56mm Barrel W/Switchblock

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Stoski

10.5" CQB 5.56mm Barrel W/Switchblock

Post by Stoski »

1. How many rounds can you shoot before the barrel goes bad? In general?

2. I was looking at this to buy and wanted to know your thoughts on it. It Talks about K type baffles being bad for this barrel/silencer. How do I find out if YHM can is K type baffles? Or what are my options? I will be shooting suppressed only with the 300 black out.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/im ... us=&title=
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Re: 10.5" CQB 5.56mm Barrel W/Switchblock

Post by JasonM »

Stoski wrote:1. How many rounds can you shoot before the barrel goes bad? In general?

2. I was looking at this to buy and wanted to know your thoughts on it. It Talks about K type baffles being bad for this barrel/silencer. How do I find out if YHM can is K type baffles? Or what are my options? I will be shooting suppressed only with the 300 black out.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/im ... us=&title=

1. With Full auto it can be as low as 5,000 rounds. With slow semi auto it can be as high as 30,000+ rounds.

2. Which YHM can? YHM licensed Mark White's Sound Tech baffles which are monocore slant-type baffles.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

300 BLK will last far longer than a 5.56 barrel. Suppressed will last even longer, I couldn't even guess at a number.

We also don't make a 300 BLK barrel with the Switchblock, it's not needed for 300 BLK.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Boggles my mind how someone might buy a Noveske barrel and also a YHM can.
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

este wrote:Boggles my mind how someone might buy a Noveske barrel and also a YHM can.
Since the OP didn't even know that Noveske doesn't make 300 BLK Switchblocks but was ready to buy one, and by seeing that this is only his 5th post, I would assume he is simply less informed than you and is just looking at getting into the game and doesn't really know what he needs, hence his asking "what are my options?".

Stoski- Once you get your 300 BLK Noveske setup figured out, I would advise you get something like an AAC 762-SDN-6 can over a YHM. It will be hard to beat.
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

tsands974 wrote:
este wrote:Boggles my mind how someone might buy a Noveske barrel and also a YHM can.
Since the OP didn't even know that Noveske doesn't make 300 BLK Switchblocks but was ready to buy one, and by seeing that this is only his 5th post, I would assume he is simply less informed than you and is just looking at getting into the game and doesn't really know what he needs, hence his asking "what are my options?".

Stoski- Once you get your 300 BLK Noveske setup figured out, I would advise you get something like an AAC 762-SDN-6 can over a YHM. It will be hard to beat.
Check out the new SOCOM mini from Surefire, as well. The mounting system is simply the best. Noone knows how it sounds, yet.
Stoski

Post by Stoski »

I did look at sure fire and those sure are nice. A little out of my price range for right now but something i will look into for the future for sure. I am trying to buy this right now in 2 weeks. I am looking at a YHM on the black out barrel from noveske as well.

10.5" CQB 5.56mm Barrel W/Switchblock how ever the web site says out of stock. Do you know were i can buy it at another store? Houston armory let another dealer ship the suppressor from another state no problem. Or can I order from the Noveske website and still do a form 4 with my dealer even tho its not in stock? Does it have to be in stock because they have serial numbers? I have 2 weeks before i leave the oil rig. More over can i make a phone order?

I have one suppressor on order and I am going to buy 2 noveske barrels one for the 5.56 and another for the 300BO. Both are going to be 10.5 in. I just wanted a suppressor thats good for just basic stuff up to 200 yards. Thats really far way. At least for what i use it for. The range shooting paper targets.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

You are looking for a complete SBR? Let your dealer do the work, just tell them what you want and they will order it from us. NFA takes longer for everything, even if it's in stock I doubt the paperwork could get done to transfer to your dealer in 2 weeks.
Stoski

Post by Stoski »

Complete Sbr?

No I just want to buy the two different barrels on there own.

I get off the rig in two weeks to go home. I get 14 days off. So I should call the dealer and place the order now over the phone?
sopootto

Post by sopootto »

Stoski wrote:Complete Sbr?

No I just want to buy the two different barrels on there own.

I get off the rig in two weeks to go home. I get 14 days off. So I should call the dealer and place the order now over the phone?
You dont need NFA paperwork to order just the barrel or uppers, but when you go to assemble an SBR you better get your form 4 completed and back to you before you do.

You can order direct and have the barrels sent to your house.
-Otto
sopootto

Post by sopootto »

2. Which YHM can? YHM licensed Mark White's Sound Tech baffles which are monocore slant-type baffles.[/quote]

So would that baffle style be the one that Noveske warns you not to use??
I have not seen any pics Mr. White's ST baffles.

-Otto
Gardner

Post by Gardner »

Noveske / YHM work fine together.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Gardner wrote:Noveske / YHM work fine together.

A new Porsche GT 3 will also run on siphoned lawn mower gas.
Stoski

Post by Stoski »

Looking at the YHM stainless QD 7.62

Can I send the paper work off before I have the short barrel in my hand?
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

Stoski wrote:Looking at the YHM stainless QD 7.62

Can I send the paper work off before I have the short barrel in my hand?

Yes. You just need a serial number, barrel length, caliber, and overall length of the firearm. The OAL is with the stock EXTENDED. You need to look into the baffle design when it comes to the 300 Blackout. Some designs are not reccomended for that round. I can't remember what it is.
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

You actually should have the approved Form 1 back before you get the barrel, unless it's a pistol waiting on the Form 1 to put a stock on.

Our caution is not specific to our barrels. It's the result of observations we made during testing that pointed at some silencer designs causing instability with subsonic bullets. We believe silencers should be tested and approved for short barrels and subsonic 300 BLK by the silencer manufacturer.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Stoski wrote:Looking at the YHM stainless QD 7.62
Realy!?!?? You sure you don't want to research that a little more? That can is 28oz, louder than most, old tech, and the mounts are very large and heavier than everyone else's.

I can probably list 10 cans that would be better buys. Probably none in the budget category that YHM owns, but you're buying a Noveske barrel so you obviously have some idea of buying a quality part once. Otherwise you'd be asking about a Model1 barrel. Do as you please, but I would put in a little research if I were you.
T_Tactical
Senior Silent Operator

Post by T_Tactical »

Stoski

Pay no attention to este, he's the resident douche on the site and is unable to give an answer without being a smart ass or talking down to people who are new to suppressors and have questions. You can search some of his posts to see what I mean. He has no clue what he's talking about and has limited first hand experience with suppressors and no experience at all with the YHM Phantom.

The YHM SS QD 762 Phantom suppressor is one of the best bang for your buck cans on the market. It's just as quiet as top tier cans, built like a tank, full auto rated for 308 and also rated for 300 win mag in semi auto. The mount is also well made, it locks up tight and doesn't allow the can to wiggle like some other top tier mounts do such as the AAC 18 and 51 tooth mounts.

I own the 762 Phantom and also the AAC 762 SDN-6 which is a top tier can and you can't tell the suppression level apart shooting them side by side on identical hosts. este also complains about the YHM mounts being heavier but I have weighed the YHM 762 QD mount and the AAC 762 51 tooth blackout mount and the AAC mount is only a 1/2 oz lighter. The one drawback to the YHM can is it's weight which is about 8 oz heavier than most competitors. But if that's not a problem for you then I would recommend the YHM suppressor. The extra weight isn't that noticeable to me anyway.

este is a Surefire fanboy for the same reason he hates YHM, he has no first hand experience with either can and only goes by what he read the military uses. Also I think the extra 8 oz frightens him because that's a lot of weight for his tiny feminine frame to pick up. Keep in mind he's not man enough and is incapable of even gripping a full size pistol because he has girlish hands. Those are his words not mine though I'm paraphrasing. :wink:

Hope this info helps you out. Remember there is no "best" suppressor, it's only about what's best to suit your needs.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Ha! :mrgreen:
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

T_Tactical wrote:este is a Surefire fanboy for the same reason he hates YHM, he has no first hand experience with either can and only goes by what he read the military uses. Also I think the extra 8 oz frightens him because that's a lot of weight for his tiny feminine frame to pick up. Keep in mind he's not man enough and is incapable of even gripping a full size pistol because he has girlish hands. Those are his words not mine though I'm paraphrasing. :wink:
Wow, we got a solid case of internet muscles tonight! ;)

Este's opinionated, like we all are. But he's no blind fanboy of any brand. Is he abrasive? Welcome to the internet.

I have first hand experience with almost every can made, I've shot most of them side by side. I would never buy a SS YHM, it's just plain too heavy. The Ti ones are much better, but 1. they often shoot sparks and 2. the cost brings you up into the AAC (or SF on sale) region.

I also do put stock in the MIL's choices when it comes to cans- especially recently... having seen first hand a lot of what went into the FMBSS solicitation and submissions, it's impressive to say the least. Now, of course that needs to be balanced with CIV real world testing and experience... Some of the factors that lead to MIL choices are mind blowingly stupid or beaurocratic. But, these are all factors that can and should be considered.

Over half a pound extra hanging off the end of a rifle sucks, no two ways about it.

YHM has nothing going for it versus SF, AAC, (possibly Silencerco down the road), KAC, etc. except for price.
If price is not an issue for you, there are better options out there.

If price IS your leading consideration, go for the YHM, it's a good performer and I'm sure you'll be satisfied enough with it.

T- I can't tell from your response, are you saying you prefer the 'N-6 to the Phantom, or are you saying that they are so close that you'd prefer the Phantom?
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
sopootto

Post by sopootto »

-k- wrote:You actually should have the approved Form 1 back before you get the barrel, unless it's a pistol waiting on the Form 1 to put a stock on.

Our caution is not specific to our barrels. It's the result of observations we made during testing that pointed at some silencer designs causing instability with subsonic bullets. We believe silencers should be tested and approved for short barrels and subsonic 300 BLK by the silencer manufacturer.
Thats right form 1 is what he needs for this sbr not from 4.

I know your the pro, but I disagree, I would rather get all the parts but say a buttstock while you can. I am a small time Noveske dealer and I love their products, but everything is being sold out by this current market.
I order 14.5" and smaller all the time for friends then I pin a flashhider or whatever to get them a 16" OAL. Just make sure you keep it totally legal until the form is in your hot little hands.
kusai
Silent Operator

Post by kusai »

I Got both AAC & YHM
762 SD
762-SDN-6

YMH SS
YHM TI

I am more inclined towards YHM now, ofcourse price point is a major plus but after 20-30 mag dump. Taking of AAC is a pain in ass compared to YHM.
T_Tactical wrote:Stoski

Pay no attention to este, he's the resident douche on the site and is unable to give an answer without being a smart ass or talking down to people who are new to suppressors and have questions. You can search some of his posts to see what I mean. He has no clue what he's talking about and has limited first hand experience with suppressors and no experience at all with the YHM Phantom.

The YHM SS QD 762 Phantom suppressor is one of the best bang for your buck cans on the market. It's just as quiet as top tier cans, built like a tank, full auto rated for 308 and also rated for 300 win mag in semi auto. The mount is also well made, it locks up tight and doesn't allow the can to wiggle like some other top tier mounts do such as the AAC 18 and 51 tooth mounts.

I own the 762 Phantom and also the AAC 762 SDN-6 which is a top tier can and you can't tell the suppression level apart shooting them side by side on identical hosts. este also complains about the YHM mounts being heavier but I have weighed the YHM 762 QD mount and the AAC 762 51 tooth blackout mount and the AAC mount is only a 1/2 oz lighter. The one drawback to the YHM can is it's weight which is about 8 oz heavier than most competitors. But if that's not a problem for you then I would recommend the YHM suppressor. The extra weight isn't that noticeable to me anyway.

este is a Surefire fanboy for the same reason he hates YHM, he has no first hand experience with either can and only goes by what he read the military uses. Also I think the extra 8 oz frightens him because that's a lot of weight for his tiny feminine frame to pick up. Keep in mind he's not man enough and is incapable of even gripping a full size pistol because he has girlish hands. Those are his words not mine though I'm paraphrasing. :wink:

Hope this info helps you out. Remember there is no "best" suppressor, it's only about what's best to suit your needs.
T_Tactical
Senior Silent Operator

Post by T_Tactical »

JasonM wrote:
T_Tactical wrote:este is a Surefire fanboy for the same reason he hates YHM, he has no first hand experience with either can and only goes by what he read the military uses. Also I think the extra 8 oz frightens him because that's a lot of weight for his tiny feminine frame to pick up. Keep in mind he's not man enough and is incapable of even gripping a full size pistol because he has girlish hands. Those are his words not mine though I'm paraphrasing. :wink:
Wow, we got a solid case of internet muscles tonight! ;)

Este's opinionated, like we all are. But he's no blind fanboy of any brand. Is he abrasive? Welcome to the internet.

I have first hand experience with almost every can made, I've shot most of them side by side. I would never buy a SS YHM, it's just plain too heavy. The Ti ones are much better, but 1. they often shoot sparks and 2. the cost brings you up into the AAC (or SF on sale) region.

I also do put stock in the MIL's choices when it comes to cans- especially recently... having seen first hand a lot of what went into the FMBSS solicitation and submissions, it's impressive to say the least. Now, of course that needs to be balanced with CIV real world testing and experience... Some of the factors that lead to MIL choices are mind blowingly stupid or beaurocratic. But, these are all factors that can and should be considered.

Over half a pound extra hanging off the end of a rifle sucks, no two ways about it.

YHM has nothing going for it versus SF, AAC, (possibly Silencerco down the road), KAC, etc. except for price.
If price is not an issue for you, there are better options out there.

If price IS your leading consideration, go for the YHM, it's a good performer and I'm sure you'll be satisfied enough with it.

T- I can't tell from your response, are you saying you prefer the 'N-6 to the Phantom, or are you saying that they are so close that you'd prefer the Phantom?
I've got no problems with someone who is opinionated. It just gets old opening up a thread and seeing este being a total douche to people all the time. Giving good advice based on first hand experience or even what you've researched is one thing, giving bad advice on something you have no clue about is another and talking down to people who are new to suppressors to try and sound superior is something else all together.

I don't make claims without backing it up so here's just a few examples.
este wrote:Way to necro post on a topic that is already on the main page :roll:
este wrote:That's nice Liberty.... But can you guys stop spamming this forum?

Maybe post these notices of what you making today (as if it matters with a 6month wait time) on Facebook or twitter or something. Ten leave the discussion forums for... Discussions.

Feel free to I guess, but posting what your making today isn't selling me on the product. Just a suggestion, although I'm sure some people just love this thread.
este wrote:Holy s--t there are some stupid posts in this thread, mostly off topic and mostly fine, but at least one of you is a fucking moron. I feel like the internet is making my grumpy before my time.
este wrote:"-heavier than titanium".... :roll:

Oh? Well, I suppose it's also heavier than mercury, and feathers. And also weighs less than helium as long as we're not defining how much of each we're talking about.
And that's just a few. So can he really say anything if I come on a thread and bust his balls? Surely if he can dish it out he has no problem taking it. :wink:

You say you put stock in military approved cans and that's all well and good but you forget that the military uses them differently than most of your average shooters. Most people's suppressors aren't seeing thousands of rounds of full auto fire. They aren't being carried all day long slung across their back while carrying 100 lbs of gear and walking through the desert in intense heat and they don't have a 5 billion a year budget. There is a HUGE difference in the military's want's and needs verses most average shooters and that's what you fail to see.

You say the Phantom has nothing going for it compared to other cans except price but I disagree. I think the only thing not going for it is weight.

Lets compare the Phantom to the SDN-6 since we both have first hand experience with both of the cans.

1) The suppression level is the same between the two. I know this from first hand experience on identical hosts and multiple platforms shooting side by side and I've seen posted data that also confirms it. So as far as suppression level goes, it's a draw.

2) The YHM mount, though ugly in my opinion, is a more solid locking mount. The Phantom locks up solid on every mount. The SDN-6 is hit or miss on it's mounts. Most of the AAC 51 tooth mounts will cause the can to wobble because it wont ratchet enough to catch the last tooth so it has to be backed off half a tooth which leaves enough play in it to wobble. Also if the ratchet mechanism breaks on the SDN-6 then the can is out of commission until it's fixed. The spring attachment on the YHM mount is built into the mount so if it were to break you can take the can off and mount it to another rifle and it wont ruin your shooting session. I'd give the mount attachment to YHM.

3) Materials of each can seems to be both stainless and inconel. The Phantom has an inconel blast baffle and the rest being stainless with a stainless tube. The SDN-6 has an all inconel baffle stack with a stainless tube. Both are rated for 308 full auto with the YHM also being rated for 300wm. Now just because the SDN-6 isn't rated for 300wm I would think it would handle it as well but AAC wouldn't warranty it if it was used on a 300wm. Both cans are built like tanks but the construction goes to AAC for the all inconel baffle stack.

4) The Phantom weighs 8oz heavier than the SDN-6 so obviously the weight goes to AAC.

5) The AAC is smaller than the Phantom. Measuring them side by side the Phantom is 7/8" longer and .125 larger in diameter than the SDN-6 so being more compact goes to AAC.

6) The price difference between the two is a huge difference. The Phantom comes in at about 1/2 the price of the SDN-6 so price will go to YHM.

7) YHM has great customer service and AAC has great customer service when they want to. I've heard all good things about YHM's customer service but I've heard both good and bad with AAC's so I'd have to give customer service to YHM.

But at the end of the day it all boils down to what better suits a persons needs. It doesn't matter in the least what the military uses because their use is generally much more different than the civilian market for the average shooter.

If someone is on a budget I'd recommend the Phantom to them if they feel the weight and size isn't a problem. Because other then the weight and size, side by side there isn't much difference between the two for the average shooter.

You asked which one I prefer, to be honest I like both of them. I run them on different guns depending on the setup. I generally run the Phantom on my bolt action rifles and AK47's. I run the SDN-6 on my Scar, AR's and RFB. I also have a 556 Phantom so it gets used on several rifles as well such as other AR's, Galil and MSAR E4. I bought both the 556 and 762 Phantoms years ago and the SDN-6 I won in a drawing so it only cost me the tax stamp so that's why I have it.

Now if someone wants a lighter, smaller can and price isn't a problem I would highly recommend the SDN-6 because it's an excellent can as well. Believe me I'm not saying it isn't but the OP sounded like he was looking to save some money and if you read my post I didn't claim the Phantom to be a superior can, I gave pros and cons to it and said if weight wasn't a problem then I'd recommend it.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Ha! I'm awesome!!

And every one of those comments is still correct even though they are out of context.

But how about we all let OP get back to his thread and stfu about who's panties are twisted and filled with sand... Eh?
Stoski

Post by Stoski »

Thank you guy. As soon as you said it was built like a tank. I was sold. The range I shoot at is all bench. Price is a factor because I am not rolling in a lot of cash. Todd I tryed calling you twice but I just got voice mail. Both times by what sounded like really hot female. Once you give the ok that the Yhm 7.62 QD stanless steal works with 300 blackout I will place my order.