Are YHM 7.62 TI cans rated for 300 blackout subs?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Stoski

Are YHM 7.62 TI cans rated for 300 blackout subs?

Post by Stoski »

Tod over at noveske has me really worried about when they say testing should be done on cans and short barrels. Can anyone tell me if a 10.5inch barrel will work good with a yhm 7.62 QD TI can? Because of my hours of work i try calling these places but no one ever answers.
robpiat
Silent But Deadly

Re: Are YHM 7.62 TI cans rated for 300 blackout subs?

Post by robpiat »

Ive heard 300 win mag is fine in the steel cans, not sure about the Ti.

You can shoot 300 BLK subs through most 9mm cans without issue. Any 308 can will be capable of 300 BLK. The YHM site states 10.5" min barrel.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

The concern expressed is likely one of whether or not the short barrel will properly stabilize the longer projectiles used in subsonic 300 BLK ammo. As with any chambering it is always wise to check stability at short distance from the muzzle with any load before attaching the can.
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

It also has to do with the shape of the baffles in the can. I believe if the can has off set baffles, they have found 300BLK does not do so well, and may have a strike in the can.
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
Zilla223

Post by Zilla223 »

Wow, I really need to know this answer too as I also am working on a Noveske 10.5" pistol build while waiting for my stamp. The stamp for the YHM 7.62 Ti is also in process.
robpiat
Silent But Deadly

Post by robpiat »

Has anybody tried calling YHM?

As to 300 BLK stability, all the commericial ammo uses the more stable 208/220 grain bullets and the correct twist. Back in the day folks were using 10-12 twist rifles and 240 SMK and thats why there was a tremendous concern about stability.

I have yet to see or hear of a documented case of bullet instability out of a 7 or 8 twist gun with normal subsonic ammo.
45winMag

Post by 45winMag »

I run factory Remington 300 BLK subs through a YHM Phantom 7.62 stainless from a Noveske 8" barrel all the time with no issues. I wouldn't go shorter than 10.5" with a 5.56 though.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

J Krammes wrote:It also has to do with the shape of the baffles in the can. I believe if the can has off set baffles, they have found 300BLK does not do so well, and may have a strike in the can.
This is total junk it has nothing to do with the baffles or the stack, if the BARREL stabilizes it then you are fine.

I have yet to see a can with non-symettrical with a baffle strike caused by the baffles.

Noone has EVER provided any proof and there have been people running 300Whisper/BLK/Fireball through non-symmetrical cans for decades and no issues.

If the weight of the bullet is kosher to the twist of the barrel then you are fine.