open carry

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

could or would open carry deter sensless violence

Poll ended at Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:04 pm

yes
No votes
no
100%
bad idea
No votes
sorry i asked
No votes

Total votes: 2

sonmtn
Silent Operator

open carry

Post by sonmtn »

I realize this is the cc secton and if it is wrong delete it please
but i was wondering what members thought about open carry and if it would actually deter or prevent
sensless acts such as have happened as of late.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: open carry

Post by doubloon »

It won't stop the crazy or determined.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
sonmtn
Silent Operator

Post by sonmtn »

doubloon wrote:It won't stop the crazy or determined.
agreed
warjunky1428
Silent But Deadly

Post by warjunky1428 »

I open carried for a couple years. In my opinion it draws undue attention from both the positive and the negative. Open carry is ultimately a show of force, and showing your hand. You spotlight yourself as a high value target when a determined criminal is in your vicinity.

I would rather conceal carry and have many others do the same. As long as the town makes it known that they are concealed carry friendly, this then becomes a huge force multiplier. Now criminals do not know when or where they are safe or may lose their life before completing their objective.

The hardest part is convincing the local PD that having CCL holders in their AOR are to their advantage and not the other way around.
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
-- Robert A. Heinlein, "Beyond This Horizon", 1942
MV10
Silent But Deadly

Post by MV10 »

warjunky1428 wrote:I open carried for a couple years. In my opinion it draws undue attention from both the positive and the negative. Open carry is ultimately a show of force, and showing your hand. You spotlight yourself as a high value target when a determined criminal is in your vicinity.
Because you are "that guy." If you have even just a few people in the area who are carrying, what do you think the criminal is going to do? Plan who he'll take out and in what order and hope he can do it fast enough before these obviously-armed individuals do something about it? Seems pretty unlikely. There aren't a lot of shootings down at Police HQ.
Modern American political discourse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio
sonmtn
Silent Operator

Post by sonmtn »

great posts thanks guys
snapshot
Senior Silent Operator

Post by snapshot »

As long as there are "Gun Free" zones, open carry doesn't matter.
"And remember, the most dangerous thing in the world is still ignorance." - RYP
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

warjunky1428 wrote:Open carry is ultimately a show of force, and showing your hand. You spotlight yourself as a high value target when a determined criminal is in your vicinity.
I would rather conceal carry and have many others do the same. As long as the town makes it known that they are concealed carry friendly, this then becomes a huge force multiplier. Now criminals do not know when or where they are safe or may lose their life before completing their objective.
On public land I agree. But businesses are justified in Open Carry because it let's people know that they aren't playing or putting up with any crap. Every time that I owned a small business I carried concealed until someone became a problem. ThenI would slide the holster to my strongside (4 o'clock) because when I was in the Police Academy they taught that "mere presence" was the lowest stage on the Use of Force Continuum. Then "armed presence" was the next.
The only time that I open carry is when I have my badge clipped just in front of the holster.
There are plenty of hotheads, and people tend to use what's readily available. The extra second that it takes them to draw from concealed let's me better assess the situation and determine my actions.
There are plenty of cases where open carry is justified, but as a rule I prefer concealed. It makes a gun grab more difficult since they don't know that I'm carrying.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314