Stamping vs. Engraving

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Stamping vs. Engraving

Post by Dr.K »

I have an sbr in the works, and was mulling this over.

I have some letter/number punch stamps that I use for suppressors, and was gonna punch my trust info in the side of the magwell.

I wondered if there is a block comercially available that would support the magwell, or do I even need that. I don't wanna punch in all the letters, and then not be able to insert a mag, cause I bent the magwell. :x

Anyone done this? Tips?
Kyle O.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Stamping vs. Engraving

Post by Bendersquint »

Dr.K wrote:I have an sbr in the works, and was mulling this over.

I have some letter/number punch stamps that I use for suppressors, and was gonna punch my trust info in the side of the magwell.

I wondered if there is a block comercially available that would support the magwell, or do I even need that. I don't wanna punch in all the letters, and then not be able to insert a mag, cause I bent the magwell. :x

Anyone done this? Tips?
Be aware that if you are imprinting an anodized receiver that the stamps will most likely damage the surrounding anodizing as well as where you intend.

Yes definitely use some sort of block to prevent bending the magwell, it is really strong but don't take a chance especially with your tax stamp!

I would recommend having it actually engraved with a rotary not stamps, will come out a lot nicer!
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Stamps are a royal b***h to do well. To get an even imprint is almost impossible. An "I" requires less force than a "B", for example, to get similar depth, and just to get it straight is a real challenge.

You could get your info on there, but it would probably not look good. I agree, try to find an engraver.
DanielWilson
Silent Operator

Post by DanielWilson »

If you're set on stamping it with a block in the magwell, you could cut a nice snug block from a 2x4 with a tablesaw. You would want it snug enough that it would be a little difficult to slide into the well. If you miss it be a 32nd, the good thing is you're working with really cheap material and can adjust your saw and cut another.

I'm not saying this is best, but it would be possible. I have no idea what do to about the annodizing.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

Stamp it on the trigger guard :)

Would that be allowed since it can be removed from the receiver? If so, there's some nice flat real estate that isn't critical to anything.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

CMV wrote:Stamp it on the trigger guard :)

Would that be allowed since it can be removed from the receiver? If so, there's some nice flat real estate that isn't critical to anything.
The trigger guard is not a part of the registered receiver. The only ones that would be valid would be the integral trigger guards.
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

Personally I would engrave it. Not worth the risk of damaging the reciever, more asthetically pleasing, does not cost all that much to do. Why cheap out now....whats a few extra bucks to not risk the now very valuable reciever?
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

I do appreciate all of your points on engraving, and I certainly agree. However, I do think my heart is set on stamping after some thought.

I don't think I want to mail off my receiver (being that it is "newly valuable" :lol: )and risk it being lost, stolen, or otherwise delayed, not to mention what if the engraver screws it up!

Also, this is not gonna be one of my Cadillac guns, It's gonna be a night time hog killer, so It'll see a somewhat higher level of abuse vs. something that would only live in the safe.

I am aware of the aesthetic issues, but something not "perfect" sometimes brings a little joy to my heart. I've been practicing on an old scrap block of aluminum, and can write a pretty strait line with the stamps. I do think I'll build a little jig to hold them strait.

Good point about the anodizing cracking Bender. I had considered what would happen with that, and thought about removing the ano, just in the place I'm gonna stamp it, then filling the letters with black paint for a "black letter, shiny background" look. I'm gonna build the magwell block out of some aluminum I've got.
Kyle O.
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

I have done a little stamping and the 2X4 recommendation will offer little resistance to the inside of the magwell deforming. The back side of the metal will want to form a raised dent under each letter and the wood will give and not stop it.

Never tried aluminum as an anvil. I would guess it may be too soft......steel or cast iron with a nice flat impact surface would be my recommendation and it wouldn't surprise me if the inside still needed to be stoned flat when you are done. Your anvil will need to fully support the surface you are stamping so that the impact puts no pressure on the rest of the receiver.

If you are set on stamping you could refinish the receiver with duracote or cerakote....if you clean/degrease it well you can mask off the inside and only finish the exterior to avoid any tolerance issues.
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

Dr.K wrote:I do appreciate all of your points on engraving, and I certainly agree. However, I do think my heart is set on stamping after some thought.

I don't think I want to mail off my receiver (being that it is "newly valuable" :lol: )and risk it being lost, stolen, or otherwise delayed, not to mention what if the engraver screws it up!

Also, this is not gonna be one of my Cadillac guns, It's gonna be a night time hog killer, so It'll see a somewhat higher level of abuse vs. something that would only live in the safe.

I am aware of the aesthetic issues, but something not "perfect" sometimes brings a little joy to my heart. I've been practicing on an old scrap block of aluminum, and can write a pretty strait line with the stamps. I do think I'll build a little jig to hold them strait.

Good point about the anodizing cracking Bender. I had considered what would happen with that, and thought about removing the ano, just in the place I'm gonna stamp it, then filling the letters with black paint for a "black letter, shiny background" look. I'm gonna build the magwell block out of some aluminum I've got.
Is there no place locally for you to take it? You would not have to mail it...who's to say the person you send it to does'nt f it up. My two cents...your project, your decision. Nough said
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"