Most Effective Baffle Design?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Death Monkey

Most Effective Baffle Design?

Post by Death Monkey »

I was wondering what is the most effective suppressor design. I'm familiar with most of the common baffles (K's, M's, Omega's, Monocore's, Cone's and Step's), but am don't know which is most effective for sound suppression.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Most Effective Baffle Design?

Post by Bendersquint »

Death Monkey wrote:I was wondering what is the most effective suppressor design. I'm familiar with most of the common baffles (K's, M's, Omega's, Monocore's, Cone's and Step's), but am don't know which is most effective for sound suppression.
Unfortunately thats not an easy question to answer. There is no one fits all baffle design.

It depends on caliber, size of suppressor, rate of fire etc...every caliber performs differently even under different sizes.

Can you give us more details on what you are looking for?
Death Monkey

Post by Death Monkey »

I was thinking .223 or 7.62x39 at a low rate of fire. Size 1.5 by 8, maybe slightly larger.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Death Monkey wrote:I was thinking .223 or 7.62x39 at a low rate of fire. Size 1.5 by 8, maybe slightly larger.
I would vote for a asymmetric Finn type baffle and it descendents or one of the new ported cone type baffles.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Either what the good Cpt recommends or a simple cone spacer combo would be a very good combo.
Griz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Griz »

I know that this info is scattered throughout the forum for those who are good a searching, but would a RKI or two be willing give a short commentary of the conventional wisdom on each type? For example, are Ks better than Cones for subsonic 300blk? What about for high pressure supersonic rounds like .223?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Griz wrote:I know that this info is scattered throughout the forum for those who are good a searching, but would a RKI or two be willing give a short commentary of the conventional wisdom on each type? For example, are Ks better than Cones for subsonic 300blk? What about for high pressure supersonic rounds like .223?
RKI?
Griz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Griz »

Bendersquint wrote:
Griz wrote:I know that this info is scattered throughout the forum for those who are good a searching, but would a RKI or two be willing give a short commentary of the conventional wisdom on each type? For example, are Ks better than Cones for subsonic 300blk? What about for high pressure supersonic rounds like .223?
RKI?
Reasonably Knowledgeable Individual... You would be an example of such a person :)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Griz wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
RKI?
Reasonably Knowledgeable Individual... You would be an example of such a person :)
Gotcha.

Do understand it is a very subjective topic, often argued by the experienced and inexperienced alike.

I will see what I can come up with.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Difficult to say. Everchanging, the field of baffle design is. Ideal for specific parameters, each baffle type is. Predict the future of baffle design, we can not.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

1970's Sonic's spiral diffusser has my vote :lol:
A can full of those would be interesting 8)
Death Monkey

Post by Death Monkey »

Capt. Link. wrote: I would vote for a asymmetric Finn type baffle and it descendents or one of the new ported cone type baffles.
Do you have an example or picture of either?