YHM Cobra M2 core upgrade

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: YHM Cobra M2 core upgrade

Post by Bendersquint »

shadow wrote:Price?
Not entirely determined at this time as we have not accounted for all the time the conversion takes. Its not as simple as removing old baffles and inserting new.

When Bayonet shoots it and posts the video we will have the price for the conversion and will post it.
Munk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Munk »

woohoo!
bayonet14
Silent But Deadly

Post by bayonet14 »

whoohoo is right -

"Stay Silent my Friend..."
peterlem0njello
Silent But Deadly

Post by peterlem0njello »

ahhhh the anticipation is killing me
Norecoil
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Norecoil »

I'm interested as well
peterlem0njello
Silent But Deadly

VIDEOS !
bayonet14
Silent But Deadly

Post by bayonet14 »

not done
bayonet14
Silent But Deadly

Post by bayonet14 »

Should have update this SAT - and some vids...will be trying out a few differerent baffle stacks....more to follow
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Taggage
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
bayonet14
Silent But Deadly

Post by bayonet14 »

Got some testing in today - but still have some other designs to try out so more to follow - Will say this, the work so far (thanks Bender)has been top notch. Some things in this process that had to be overcome are some very outdated YHM design elements i.e. a booster that takes up what could allow for about 2 more Ks to fill in - shorter tube - can get 6 Ks in NP... need some tweeks to find the sweet spot of the YHM w/Ks.... As many of you know it took quite a few years to get a .45 can that is hearing safe dry

So far - better reduction on FRP w/Ks over the YHM monocore
Better tone dry and wet with 6 Ks

More to follow :wink:
GoodOlDave
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GoodOlDave »

bayonet14 wrote:Got some testing in today - but still have some other designs to try out so more to follow - Will say this, the work so far (thanks Bender)has been top notch. Some things in this process that had to be overcome are some very outdated YHM design elements i.e. a booster that takes up what could allow for about 2 more Ks to fill in - shorter tube - can get 6 Ks in NP... need some tweeks to find the sweet spot of the YHM w/Ks.... As many of you know it took quite a few years to get a .45 can that is hearing safe dry

For thos of us who are among the novices here, what are the legal procedures to have our 9mm YHM cobra cans recored with a better baffle design? Something tells me it's going to require more paperwork and tax stamps than simply saying "shut up and take my money"...
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

GoodOlDave wrote:
bayonet14 wrote:Got some testing in today - but still have some other designs to try out so more to follow - Will say this, the work so far (thanks Bender)has been top notch. Some things in this process that had to be overcome are some very outdated YHM design elements i.e. a booster that takes up what could allow for about 2 more Ks to fill in - shorter tube - can get 6 Ks in NP... need some tweeks to find the sweet spot of the YHM w/Ks.... As many of you know it took quite a few years to get a .45 can that is hearing safe dry

For thos of us who are among the novices here, what are the legal procedures to have our 9mm YHM cobra cans recored with a better baffle design? Something tells me it's going to require more paperwork and tax stamps than simply saying "shut up and take my money"...
For the consumer there is minimal paperwork and and there is no new tax stamp involved.

We have an Cobra9mm inbound to start on the same conversions. Just waiting on the soldier to come back from OCONUS to ship it to us.
GoodOlDave
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GoodOlDave »

Bendersquint wrote:
GoodOlDave wrote:For thos of us who are among the novices here, what are the legal procedures to have our 9mm YHM cobra cans recored with a better baffle design? Something tells me it's going to require more paperwork and tax stamps than simply saying "shut up and take my money"...
For the consumer there is minimal paperwork and and there is no new tax stamp involved.

We have an Cobra9mm inbound to start on the same conversions. Just waiting on the soldier to come back from OCONUS to ship it to us.
I'm presuming I'll need to go to my NFA dealer to have it sent out to you and get the paperwork filed?

The idea that I'm finally able to shoot my can without carting around a glass of water is making me drool like Pavlov's dog...
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

GoodOlDave wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
GoodOlDave wrote:For thos of us who are among the novices here, what are the legal procedures to have our 9mm YHM cobra cans recored with a better baffle design? Something tells me it's going to require more paperwork and tax stamps than simply saying "shut up and take my money"...

I'm presuming I'll need to go to my NFA dealer to have it sent out to you and get the paperwork filed?

The idea that I'm finally able to shoot my can without carting around a glass of water is making me drool like Pavlov's dog...
You don't need to deal with your dealer for any of this, you will send it and deal directly with us. We will tell you what we need to get it all squared away. Its actually pretty stupid easy to get this all taken care of.
Munk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Munk »

patience munk, patience...

aklsdfjal;sdkfja;lsdkfjal;skdfjasdklfj
GoodOlDave
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GoodOlDave »

Does anyone know if there are any new developments on this?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

GoodOlDave wrote:Does anyone know if there are any new developments on this?
Yes, in the next week or so we will be testing the next cores for it.

The last test was successful while we removed the first round pop we weren't driving all the baffles as much as we were hoping, some of the baffles were barely dirty after a magazine of ammo, they had hardly any soot! Once they are driven harder the sound reduction will increase.

In person you could hear a sound reduction over the original CobraM2 core however it wasn't noticeable on the videos we took, thats why we didn't post them.
GoodOlDave
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GoodOlDave »

Bendersquint wrote:

The last test was successful while we removed the first round pop we weren't driving all the baffles as much as we were hoping, some of the baffles were barely dirty after a magazine of ammo, they had hardly any soot! Once they are driven harder the sound reduction will increase.

In person you could hear a sound reduction over the original CobraM2 core however it wasn't noticeable on the videos we took, thats why we didn't post them.
What is it that you are doing to achieve this? Do you take the original core and put more baffles on it or do you replace the entire core?

My can has the less common 1/2x32 twist so I don't want the manufacturing process to stick me with a 1/2x28 "upgrade".
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

GoodOlDave wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

What is it that you are doing to achieve this? Do you take the original core and put more baffles on it or do you replace the entire core?

My can has the less common 1/2x32 twist so I don't want the manufacturing process to stick me with a 1/2x28 "upgrade".
We are replacing the baffle stack it currently has with a higher performing baffle stack.

The piston system is not being altered.

We are working the 45ACP variant at this time and have a 9mm inbound shortly to start the same process on. The 9mm will be far simpler though. 45ACP is a bear to suppress.
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

Can a .45 Cobra M2 be recored in a different caliber, say 9mm or 10mm? How about making the mount fixed thread-on?

I bought a TiRant45 and I have a feeling my Cobra M2 is going to be pretty much pointless in comparison. I was thinking that because it is take-apart, I could dedicate it to the Max11 9mm and use the Lage 22lr kit too. Or I also have a 10mm that I think would be cool to suppress if pressures could be managed... 3 different Glocks; 3 dedicated silencers 8)

I'm just looking for a reason to keep it around. I could probably use it on the Lage 9mm/22lr MG currently, but I don't think a .45cal soundtech monocore would do well at all.
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

pneumagger wrote:Can a .45 Cobra M2 be recored in a different caliber, say 9mm or 10mm? How about making the mount fixed thread-on?

I bought a TiRant45 and I have a feeling my Cobra M2 is going to be pretty much pointless in comparison. I was thinking that because it is take-apart, I could dedicate it to the Max11 9mm and use the Lage 22lr kit too. Or I also have a 10mm that I think would be cool to suppress if pressures could be managed... 3 different Glocks; 3 dedicated silencers 8)

I'm just looking for a reason to keep it around. I could probably use it on the Lage 9mm/22lr MG currently, but I don't think a .45cal soundtech monocore would do well at all.
You can not change the caliber of the suppressor, you can always shoot smaller bullets through it but can't make baffles that don't allow the registered caliber to be fired through.

We can convert it to a fixed mount and you will get far better performance than you have now, the piston takes up so much of the can you lose quit a bit of performance. Fixed barrel 1/2x28 9mm would end up pretty sweet IMHO even with 45ACP baffles.
peterlem0njello
Silent But Deadly

Please keep us updated with pictures and video as well!!
sgunn911

Post by sgunn911 »

Im elated to hear someone is working on this! I have a YHM Cobra .45 and a YHM Phantom .308. The .308 works amazingly, the Cobra has been a complete dissapointment.

In fact YHM has my Cobra as I write this, I sent it back in to get checked out as the suppression was almost not noticeable and I get a lot of blowback when using on my HK45 pistol.

Also, unlike the YHM web photo showing the Cobra on a HK UMP (it was photoshopped), I actually do use my cobra on a HK UMP .45. Again the noise reduction is trivial but the rate of fire goes completely through the roof! I expect some increase in the fire rate, but this was twice what I am used to.

Seems to me there is a backpressure issue, but I don't expect YHM to resolve the problem...

Keep me posted!!!
Scott Gunnell
tacticalhillbilly

Post by tacticalhillbilly »

Dammit, This is why it pays to do your homework. I am waiting for a tax stamp so I can pick one of these up! All I read is "Dont buy a Cobra! Save and buy a Tirant!". I am saving to get a Tirant now but I didnt know about upgrading the core. I cant wait to see the price and just run down that road!

Eddie
GoodOlDave
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GoodOlDave »

Bendersquint wrote:
Munk wrote:Any news as of late?
Waiting on a single tool to complete the conversion.

Then its a matter or scheduling it with Bayonet to meet at the range and test her out.
Don't mean to be a pest, Bender, but do you have a web site or something where we can keep tabs on the status of the YHM recore project?