Saiga 12 conversion

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Saiga 12 conversion

Post by nice shot »

So, I decided I want a detachable mag shotgun. The only reason for this is my obscene collection of 12 00 buck shot. Im sitting on close to 600 rounds and Im thinking its time to get a gun to throw that lead when I need it too.

(for the sake of the argument, I already have a 12 ga. . . this is solely for my entertainment and potential zombie appocalypse gun)

I been finding these Saiga 12's pretty cheap, I've also been finding the mags online too. . . I keep reading all these posts that talk about the 922r compliance stuff, and thats great an all, but what I want to know is what is the difficulty level of converting the shotgun to a pistol grip, hi cap mag gun? One of the kits I found basically said you need to move the trigger assembly forward, remount it, then add the other parts to it. . . Kinda got me wondering. Is this just a ploy to sell people a shitty parts kit? I mean if it was as easy as this site made it sound, everyone would do their own conversion and their wouldnt be any business for gun shops with this stuff.

Do any of you recommend doing the project yourself? Do you recommend a particular gunsmith?

I would have gone with an 1100 or an 1187, or even a second 870 and made it "tacti-cool" but Im really appreciating 10 - 25 round capabilities.

You opinions?
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Saiga 12 conversion

Post by Bendersquint »

Its not the easiest conversion. Most of the ones we see are done pretty poorly.
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

Bendersquint wrote:Its not the easiest conversion. Most of the ones we see are done pretty poorly.

Would you go with a remmy or the saiga? (Asking because I respect your opinion)

As far as being poorly done, do you fix them, or recommend a place to get the work done?
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

nice shot wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:Its not the easiest conversion. Most of the ones we see are done pretty poorly.

As far as being poorly done, do you fix them, or recommend a place to get the work done?
I would build a nice remmy SBS before a Saiga personally. Magazine capacity aside I think the Remmy design is better than the Saiga/AK type.

We have done work on Saiga's in the past, some can't be saved. Have a Saiga right now that we have been fighting to get cycling and it cycled a couple times then it gave up.

The Saiga design prohibits very much work to get them cycling after they have been completed.
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

How about a 870 magnum 3"?

Trim the barrel down to 20"?
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

nice shot wrote:How about a 870 magnum 3"?

Trim the barrel down to 20"?
14" 870 Magnum. I have to check but I think it is 5+1, maybe 4+1.

Still more than enough for anyone to handle and have alot of fun with!

nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

Im having a hell of a time finding a semi remmy or an 870 I want.

In other news, I found a butt stock conversion for the saiga. Will this gun fire the ten round mags from the factory? Realistically I only plan on shooting the ten. Still not convinced on the saiga, but just found this.

Im thinking ideally I will stroll across GB one day and find a used 1187 or 1100 with synthetic stocks and be done. . . untill then, I keep dreaming.
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
BISHOP
Silent But Deadly

Post by BISHOP »

Conversion kits...
You can even choose he trigger guard.
http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com ... Categories

BISHOP
The Rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way.....
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

Why not a mka 1919?
already "converted", cheaper, 10 round factory mags.
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

Took a trade and got the Saiga. Its a fun toy, not sure how I feel about it yet.

The 10 round pro-mag brand magazine sucks, the factory one works flawlessly.

Really not interested in dumping money into it (buying tons of fancy s--t / more mags) so Im thinking I will keep this for the time being.

Shoots flawlessly and loves buck shot and bird shot. . . Im impressed so far.
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Ive done quite a few Saiga conversions. They usually work well with 3 qty. 3/32 gas ports. Don't wast money on pucks. An adjustable or pressure relieving gas plug will do it even on slightly overgassed Saiga's. Forget about getting a 2 port gun to work worth a damn as is. Knock the gas block off and drill baby drill.

For the money an SX-3 or M2 Benelli are 10X the gun and arent much slower to load. I like Saigas and I can get them to run OK but I wouldn't trust my life to one.

Putting the laughter in manslaughter
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

id get the saiga and YugoRPK have you had problems with running buckshot?
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Sdustin wrote:id get the saiga and YugoRPK have you had problems with running buckshot?
Once the gas ports were opened I could run anything. Buckshot was never a problem. Wal Mart federal was until I modded the gas system. Ive done 6 or 7 since then all in the same gas and trigger configuration and they all have run like tops. The early guns were 4 port guns and were overgassed and they'd beat themselves to death. The next generation had 2 ports and were very finicky on ammo. 3 qty 3/32 ports seems to be the right balance. I'd go over gassed over under any day. You can always use and adjustable gas plug to bleed or choke the gas down if its too much.

My only problem with the mag fed shotguns is that they arent that easy to reload and more than that they snag everything when you try to pull them out of a confined space like behind the truck seat. The aftermarket mags suck and the 8 round Saiga mags are way too expensive although they are the best mags for the gun by far.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

My experience with a Saiga 20gauge and a new Vepr 12 have been much more positive- especially the Vepr.

The Saiga 20 was problematic with birdshot until I reprofiled and polished the bolt and finally found the time to knock the gas block off and drill, test, drill test. It runs great now with everything except the really cheap federal 7/8oz shot. All the aftermarket mags run well with it, but I find the steel 10 rounds mags that you have to fit yourself are my favorites. They are about the same size as a 30 round AR mag.

While reprofiling the bolt and using the steel magazines both made loading a fresh mag on a closed bolt easier, it's still not as easy/sure as loading with an AR or AK. I can't eliminate fumbling and sometimes still resort to holding the shotgun to my shoulder with one hand, by the charging handle as it's held to the rear, and loading the mag with my other hand. Not optimal.

The Vepr12 is a whole other story! This thing is world-changing for shotguns. Mine runs everything from #7 1/2 dove loads to 3" buck without issue. It has a last-shot bolt hold-open, which can be released or activated using external controls, and mags load on a closed bolt as easily as an AR15. 12 and 10 round US-made mags are available at around $40 per and it can also use Saiga 12 mags if you modify them , though they won't activate the bolt catch after the last round. It also features rifle sights, pistol grip configuration out of the box, and a threaded barrel for chokes, brakes, flash hiders, or adapters for winchokes or remchokes.

The Vepr 12 is a shotgun that runs as easily as a box magazine-fed rifle. As a guy who's always preferred rifles, mine is the first shotgun I've ever really loved shooting.

If I already owned a Saiga 12, I'd probably look at having it converted to use a magwell. That would at least eliminate issues with loading on a closed bolt. You'd also have an advantage over the Vepr 12 in having adjustable gas. (The Vepr isn't adjustable, it just always runs full-open.)
saigatechusa
Silent Operator

Post by saigatechusa »

Bendersquint wrote:
nice shot wrote:

I would build a nice remmy SBS before a Saiga personally. Magazine capacity aside I think the Remmy design is better than the Saiga/AK type.

We have done work on Saiga's in the past, some can't be saved. Have a Saiga right now that we have been fighting to get cycling and it cycled a couple times then it gave up.

The Saiga design prohibits very much work to get them cycling after they have been completed.

Say Whaaaaaaaatttttt
sillycon
Silent But Deadly

Post by sillycon »

My Siaga was a pain and had frequent malfunctions until I spent two minutes with the bolt on a mill to clearance the bolt for the ejector. After that it runs even the WalMart Winchester bulk "junk".

My gun is a three port gun, IIRC.

So far as the conversion, it's no more difficult than assembling an AR-15 (in fact, given the lack of detents and springs, it's probably easier). The amount of information out there regarding the conversions is rather overwhelming, and there is at least as much bad info as good.

I got the Carolina Shooter Supply "bolt in" conversion (with the CSS billet trigger guard), and a stock adapter from Valhalla Tactical (the angled adapter -- a straight adapter won't allow you to use the factory sights with the AR-type stock).

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/p ... t2-4pc.htm

http://vtsupply.com/akssa-ak47-stamped- ... p-514.html

I also swapped out to a US made puck for 922 compliance, and it's now one of my favorite shotguns.
BISHOP
Silent But Deadly

Post by BISHOP »

I bought myself one of these, installed it and it works just like they show.
http://www.saiga-12.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Auto-Plug

I loaded up with buck shot, slug, high and low brass bird shot all in one mag, and never had to adjust the gas system once, it all cycled perfectly.

BISHOP
The Rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way.....
sillycon
Silent But Deadly

Post by sillycon »

How many rounds does the "auto plug" go without cleaning? Are they user serviceable?

I ask because my guess is that it's basically a sprung valve that limits the max pressure the gas system sees. Given that, at some point it's going to have enough fouling to not seal/open properly.
Gunfixr
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Gunfixr »

Whoever says they can't be made to work just doesn't know how to make them work.

I've had them working all the way down to 10", and 8" with the slightly heavier low brass loads, the Winchester "Texas Heavy" loads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MmMrVtqZvw
Gunsmith, Unique Armament Creations, 07/SOT
Glock Advanced Armorer