Best thread pitch for .45 ACP?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

wacki
Silent But Deadly

Best thread pitch for .45 ACP?

Post by wacki »

Ordering a threaded barrel for a 45 and wondering what thread pitch is most popular... and why. What has best characteristics as well.

Thanks
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Best thread pitch for .45 ACP?

Post by Bendersquint »

wacki wrote:Ordering a threaded barrel for a 45 and wondering what thread pitch is most popular... and why. What has best characteristics as well.

Thanks
We see more mounts in .578-28 and make more .578-28 mounts than any other 45ACP caliber.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Brownells used to sell taps & dies for this pitch.
zevdogs
Silent But Deadly

Post by zevdogs »

Historian wrote:Brownells used to sell taps & dies for this pitch.
eBay is whear I bought mine
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

I would never trust a threaded barrel that a die was used to thread.

Having to rely on the concentricity for baffle strikes is a no-go for me, turn it in a lathe and call it a day.

If you are going to do it, do it right.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Bendersquint wrote:I would never trust a threaded barrel that a die was used to thread.

Having to rely on the concentricity for baffle strikes is a no-go for me, turn it in a lathe and call it a day.

If you are going to do it, do it right.
+2, as usual.

The die is a 'chaser' after one has used the lathe.
The tap is for obvious user.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

What kind of "45" anyway? :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Emilio wrote:What kind of "45" anyway? :mrgreen:
Just picked up my first 1911. Sig Tac Ops TB. It was the only reasonably priced .45 I could find in the middle of this gun ban hysteria. I had mixed feelings on it at first but fellow SilencerTalk member and Colt collector "twodollarbill" recommended it and it's really starting to grow on me. I'm holding it right now actually. :-) As soon as I can find a reasonably priced FNX Tactical I'll definitely get one of those. I really enjoy shooting my FNP and the flat dark earth look of the FNX-45 Tactical is like a work of art.

I am eyeballing the Springfield TRP (based on reputation alone) and Colt (nostalgia) as well. I don't know I'm new to the 45 game and still looking around. Still need to pick up a single stack carry gun so who knows what caliber I'll pick for that.

I'm trying to keep all my pistols the same pitch. I'll buy the gun for the gun and pay extra to change the threads if needed.
Slaine777
Silent Operator

Post by Slaine777 »

I am personally becoming a fan of left handed metric threads. The metric threads spec included a unthreaded portion for an o-ring, this will keep your thread protector from loosening. In theory the left handed threading will make it so the movement induced by the rifling will tighten up your suppressor or thread protector. With that said, a standard 1911 barrel isn't large enough for the M16x1LH threads. You would need a bull barrel for that. As was mentioned earlier the most common thread spec is .578x28.