Primers!!!!

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade

bakerjw
Elite Member

Primers!!!!

Post by bakerjw »

Primers!!!! I want primers and no one has any in stock!
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Primers!!!!

Post by Bendersquint »

bakerjw wrote:Primers!!!! I want primers and no one has any in stock!
What size do you need?
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

Just looking for some small rifle and small pistol. It's my own fault for not keeping my supplies well stocked.

But to make things worse... I just got my Dillon 550 press up and functional over the weekend. Damn is it nice to punch out 100 rounds every 10 to 12 minutes.
Bone16
Elite Member

Post by Bone16 »

America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the mall.

Bone 16, Asshat at large, OUT!
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

This stupid "run" on damned near anything gun-related will HAVE to abate at some point. The question is, when?

I really need to get set up for reloading. I especially want to cast my own 9mm 147 grain subsonic loads. It can get nice and cheap that way.
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

Read something yesterday that the reason there's a shortage of primers is that the manufacturers are using all they make for ammunition, which has a higher profit margin. I seem to remember the same thing happening in the late 1990s during the "Arsenal Tax" scare.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

I saw an article the other day that predicted that the current ammo, firearm, and materials shortage would last at least another 9 months. there is a shortage of barrel grade steel and AR Bolt carriers. All reloading supplies are being diverted to ammunition. First comes defense, then LEO, then civilian use.

It's going to be a slow Summer at the range since replenishment is near non existent.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Sorry I have to laugh when gun guys run out of things . You guys have had since 08 to stock up.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

I don't think that anyone saw the run that we just witnessed coming.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

bakerjw wrote:I don't think that anyone saw the run that we just witnessed coming.
Then noone watched the election. As soon as he won I knew it was going to happen, just WHEN I didn't know.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

Things started getting scare after the election. It was Sandy Hook that propelled it to a whole new level. Between the election and SH, I picked up a few new guns. The store were still stocked. As of the week of Christmas, barren.
Surly
Silent Operator

Post by Surly »

I saw it coming and I have been stockpiling everything since '04. Bought some last minute stuff before the election and bought as many primers as I could the day after...in addition to all of the .308 PMAGS Cabelas had for $21 each. No regrets on my hoarding. Buy it cheap, stack it deep. lol!!
mx201er
Silent But Deadly

Post by mx201er »

That is the one thing I can still find! The local BVAC outlet here in MT has CCI and Winchester primers for $33, rifle and pistol. Too bad I cannot find any bullets :P
"If you are mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside.
If you're the only dumbass with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet."
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

You only had since 08 to stock up...
TonyT
Silent But Deadly

Post by TonyT »

Its true, when you find a deal, jump on it and stack it deep! I've been investing in "precious metals" since Clinton. (thank goodness)
Don't redistribute my wealth, redistribute my work ethic!
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

66427vette wrote:You only had since 08 to stock up...
I stocked up after the "Great Primer Famine of 1994"...and grabbed more after the '08-09 disaster. :lol:
stengun
Silent But Deadly

Post by stengun »

Howdy,
Kramer wrote:
66427vette wrote:You only had since 08 to stock up...
I stocked up after the "Great Primer Famine of 1994"...and grabbed more after the '08-09 disaster. :lol:
Back in 2010 I used the last of my primers from the "Great Primer Famine of 1994". I guy I knew from the gun show circuit "knew a guy that knew a guy" that scored CCI primers that were made for commercial reloaders and I was able to buy 20,000 SP primers for get this.......$175.00. I also bought 20,000 LP primers but they didn't last as long.

I started hoarding primers and ammo in late '07/early '08 because I thought Hilary was going to be elected POTUS.

Paul
"The number of people that I've killed is not important. What is important is how I get along with the ones that are still alive."

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

I forgot that I also stocked up around 2006-2007 when I picked up a few MGs.

Back in the late 1980s and very early 1990s, I used to buy CCI primers at $5.00/K when you bought 5k of a specific size/type, no mix and match. Me and a shooting buddy would order 20-40K of primers at a time.