Anodizing already used aluminum baffles.

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

kingjamez
Senior Silent Operator

Anodizing already used aluminum baffles.

Post by kingjamez »

In my haste to try out my can, I forgot to anodize my 22lr monocore. I've got an ultrasonic cleaner, but I read here that it will damage aluminum. Any other suggestions for getting it sparkling clean for the anodization?

-Jim
My Form 1 Monocore build on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH37sv2ySHmB1tTivFYIF8y2CW8rmiZRi
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anodizing already used aluminum baffles.

Post by Fulmen »

Never had to do it, bit I'd try abrasives and a good, long alkaline etch. Did you shoot enough to get lead deposits in it?
crazyelece
Senior Silent Operator

Post by crazyelece »

there are ultrasonic cleaning solutions that are aluminum safe, but I have also read that they are hard on finishes as well. Great reports on cleaning up the internals if they are removable though.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

crazyelece wrote:there are ultrasonic cleaning solutions that are aluminum safe, but I have also read that they are hard on finishes as well. Great reports on cleaning up the internals if they are removable though.
Its not the solutions entirely that damage aluminum its more the cavitation caused by the ultrasonic waves. Ultrasonic works by cavitation, micro bubbles exploding in whatever solution you are using. Those exploding bubbles damage the aluminum itself. Even using water will damage the aluminum.

OP, depnding on what 07/02 is doing the anodizing will determine the method of cleaning, they should be able to tell you what you need to it for cleaning or leave i to them to clean it.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Your surface must be clean as I'm sure you know.
I like to use a 50/50 mix of water and simple green heated to below boiling.A little scrubbing and soaking should remove most of the residue.
A weak solution of sodium hydroxide with some toothbrush action will remove the rest.You should do this just before you anodize.Do not forget your part or it will dissolve completely.
A alternate solution is hydrogen peroxide it too will dissolve aluminum.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Capt. Link. wrote:Your surface must be clean as I'm sure you know.
I like to use a 50/50 mix of water and simple green heated to below boiling.A little scrubbing and soaking should remove most of the residue.
A weak solution of sodium hydroxide with some toothbrush action will remove the rest.You should do this just before you anodize.Do not forget your part or it will dissolve completely.
Or media blast it, faster, safer and less risk to the aluminum.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Bendersquint wrote:
Dipping it is a normal step in the process with minimal risk to the product its called de-smutting.Either way it's important that every bit is fresh metal for the bath.If you blast do not use glass beads it must be a cutting compound.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Capt. Link. wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
Dipping it is a normal step in the process with minimal risk to the product its called de-smutting.Either way it's important that every bit is fresh metal for the bath.If you blast do not use glass beads it must be a cutting compound.
I know, but we aren't talking about the methods needed seconds before starting anodizing, we are talking abot cleaning it prior to those steps. Even those etches won't removes carbon buildup, hence my comment. ;)
kingjamez
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kingjamez »

I think I'm going to make some test pieces to see how aluminum does in different ultrasonic solutions. If those don't work out, I'll try bead or soda blasting. Thanks for the help!

-Jim
My Form 1 Monocore build on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH37sv2ySHmB1tTivFYIF8y2CW8rmiZRi