Ammo for 22lr is sicking!

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

este
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ammo for 22lr is sicking!

Post by este »

I have some bad news for some of you...

If you are on the Internet right now complaining about ammo, YOU are the problem. YOU and the people just like YOU are unprepared for even a slight hiccup in supply and are buying everything up at stupid prices. The people you are complaining about are yourselves.

I'm not saying stock 10,000 of 22lr, but have 1000 on hand! And if its short to resupply, use it up, but rationally. If you went into November not having at least a little supply, it's your own fault, there can always be a school shooting or natural disaster or terrorist attack or election, don't keep 1000lbs of ammo on hand, but keep at least something to get you through drought.

If you didn't do that, or did but blew it all already, do not complain about ammo now.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

The panic buying may stop in the future, but at new higher floor prices. Just look back at the average prices from the 1990's, the 2000's, and the present. Each decade had a floor price.

Gotta look at the much bigger picture... ammo are commodities, specifically metals. Pull up a 20+ year chart of general commodities prices ($CCI) and you'll no doubt see a huge upward trend since 2001.

Obviously this ain't some temporary event where prices will "come back to normal." What we're witnessing is the big primary trend.

Ammo prices would've gone up over time anyway. But tragic events like shootings and elections accelerate the trend and cause bigger price spikes.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

btb601 wrote:I hear you, I have a new Octane and had two rounds to shoot with.....
Yeah, 6 month wait just to shoot two rounds thru it. :roll:
Buy a knife and make your ammo last twice as long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
finn
Silent But Deadly

Post by finn »

After wars, cheap surplus ammo is released into the market. Twenty years from now there will be surplus ammo from the great hoarding war of 2008-2015. The estate sales are going to be incredible.
Loaded
Silent Operator

Post by Loaded »

If dealers are paying the same price as before Dec. 2012 or a nominal factory increase then WHO do you say IS TO BLAME for the high prices being placed on these items other than , in part, the dummies that are paying them? Did I hear DEALERS..........
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

My prices are still normal . I put stuff on gun broker and let morons fight out out. Only the unprepared and idiots are paying stupid prices. Start it at a buck and let it go. How does any gun owner with half a brain not have a stockpile of ammo for every gun owned?
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

66427vette wrote:My prices are still normal . I put stuff on gun broker and let morons fight out out. Only the unprepared and idiots are paying stupid prices. Start it at a buck and let it go. How does any gun owner with half a brain not have a stockpile of ammo for every gun owned?
Yep, it just a club without ammo. There already been 3-4 scares after Bush, one being a 22 shortage. What does it take to learn? My guess is Walmart value pack goes up to $25 a brick this time after scare.

You should have extra food and water too!

( BTW, Good one Doubloon :lol: )
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Loaded
Silent Operator

Post by Loaded »

Like I said, I've always had a stash. Only place I screwed up was not buying some CCI SV for my rifle/Sparrow, when I finally get it. By then maybe the prices will come down and I can pick some up. If not, I'll do without and put up with a bit more noise when I do shoot the rifle. Otherwise, I have more than enough to last me.
btb601
Silent But Deadly

Post by btb601 »

Yeppers, I did drop the ball on the 9mms, but not
on the 22, 223, 30, 3006, 38, 357,45, 20g and 12g.

66427vette, can you help a fellow Missourian out with some 9mm subs?
I can't afford the bulk buys on gunbroker, but I can on a couple of hundred or less.
I know shipping will suck.

I just found 10 old hydra shoks from the early ninety's buried in with some junk.
WOW this Octane is quiet. Gonna jones if I can't get some to play with.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

9mm subs are long gone. Just have my personal stash.
No2sc2
Senior Silent Operator

Post by No2sc2 »

Big ammo mfg company need to cut sales to all anti gun states like IL, NY, CA ect... They don't need the ammo, if those states have gun bans, no one will have guns so police don't need guns. Back in my country, the police just have batons, no guns.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

66427vette wrote:9mm subs are long gone. Just have my personal stash.
22LR, 9mm subs, and 300 BLK are the hardest hit calibers. 22 gets all the attention, but the subs were already a small niche market to begin with. And the 300 barely had a chance to launch.
tws317

Post by tws317 »

I was looking on Gunbroker.com last night and saw that a case of CCI Blazer .22 was selling for over $700.00. Which was readily available for $19.00 a brick in January. So I clicked to see who the seller was and it was Sportsman's Supply which I then googled. Sportsmans Supply is a gun shop that also does internet sales and on there site they stated they were no longer selling ammo at there store or site and that ammo could be purchased on two auction sites. So this is one of many reasons there is a shortage. You have a company that it is screwing over there regular customers to make some extra money on there stock. I hope more and more people remember this kind of retail activity and not frequent these establishments when the madness stops.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

tws317 wrote:I was looking on Gunbroker.com last night and saw that a case of CCI Blazer .22 was selling for over $700.00. Which was readily available for $19.00 a brick in January. So I clicked to see who the seller was and it was Sportsman's Supply which I then googled. Sportsmans Supply is a gun shop that also does internet sales and on there site they stated they were no longer selling ammo at there store or site and that ammo could be purchased on two auction sites. So this is one of many reasons there is a shortage. You have a company that it is screwing over there regular customers to make some extra money on there stock. I hope more and more people remember this kind of retail activity and not frequent these establishments when the madness stops.

Get your ffl and make a difference. :D
Loaded
Silent Operator

Post by Loaded »

66427vette- So, I'm curious, on ammo & firearms, what percent markup over dealer do you need to make operating your shop worthwhile?
hs338lapua
Silent But Deadly

Post by hs338lapua »

tws317 wrote:I was looking on Gunbroker.com last night and saw that a case of CCI Blazer .22 was selling for over $700.00. Which was readily available for $19.00 a brick in January. So I clicked to see who the seller was and it was Sportsman's Supply which I then googled. Sportsmans Supply is a gun shop that also does internet sales and on there site they stated they were no longer selling ammo at there store or site and that ammo could be purchased on two auction sites. So this is one of many reasons there is a shortage. You have a company that it is screwing over there regular customers to make some extra money on there stock. I hope more and more people remember this kind of retail activity and not frequent these establishments when the madness stops.
Supply and demand! If they make a living off of guns and ammo, which my guess is they do. Why shouldn't they maximize their proffit? They won't be able to stock their store for an unknown time. It could be a week or a year for all they know.

Some people will never learn and I don't feel bad for them. I call it the "unprepared tax" just like the dumb shits who have one mag for their "battle rifle"

I hate to see what you guys bitching about ammo prices are going to say when you can't afford food.
You can't ever have too much KFC!
yellowfin
Silent But Deadly

Post by yellowfin »

66427vette wrote:How does any gun owner with half a brain not have a stockpile of ammo for every gun owned?
One big reason might be that situations can change. I can tell you in my case specifically the problem is having moved several times in the last 5 years and having bad budget limitations because of that. It was also unclear as to what the wife would want to shoot thus unclear as to what guns I'd have to feed twice versus myself, then also what facilities we'd have. One place I had a free access range for everything 10 minutes away and a fair income, then the next place one an hour away that cost $15 each time and limited income w/ high expenses, then the next a club with skeet towers, 200 yd rifle, and no pistol w/ intermittent income, then now 600 yard rifle 25/50 and 50/100, 5 pistol pits, and a single trap area and a better financial situation. Life is complex sometimes. If you've owned the same guns and had the same schedule/routine of shooting then it's a lot easier to know what you need versus the opposite. .22 stays constant, sure, but what if you're shooting pistol once every other month one year then twice a week the next and vice versa for shotgun? Similarly 100 rounds of .30-06 or .45-70 might be all you shoot in 5 years or it could be in an hour, so unless you know which it's going to be then what's a stockpile?
Last edited by yellowfin on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's insane!"-- Penn Jilette
http://www.NYShooters.net
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

This is not my main source of income I got in to the business after seeing most of the sot holders in the area are lacking in customer service in a big way or are just straight up crooks. I am the only guy around with a large stock of nfa items ready to sell. I shoot for 15 to 30 percent depending on item. I do not front 100's of thousands of dollars for free sorry if that offends you or anyone else. I am lucky as I have a inside connection at one of the big distributors so I have a easy time getting items even to this day . Some of these dealers can not get a thing and are placing items for sale at a higher price to stay afloat over next few months when they have nothing to sell. 22 ammo is cheap enough people should have had at least a 1 case or 15 put aside.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

The truth is 80 percent of dealers putting stuff on gun broker have no choice and are worried about their business and employees being let go when they have nothing to sell next month. If your dealer is driving a new Porsche GT3 I am willing to bet he married a doctor or has old family money and did not make it off gun broker sales of 22 ammo. :D Other put it on gun broker as you do not get 200 phone calls a day for gun broker auctions . Just list and print the shipping tag.
JohnK454

Post by JohnK454 »

My parents and grandparents survived two world wars and the Great Depression. I heard "don't get caught short" many, many time growing up and took it to heart. Then the primer shortage around 1990 went longer than anything I had planned for, or expected. I had to cut back on shooting and reloading. After that, it has been a constant effort to "save" ammo and conponents - no different than putting money into a 401(k) or other savings against the time when it might be needed. Even casting and reloading for 35 calibers, plus the non-reloadable 22lr, I can easily weather these panic storms without inconvenience. I do suspend purchases during the panic times - I'll leave that to the unprepared. Perhaps they just like the excitement. Like the lottery, these hyper-inflated ammo prices can be considered a "Tax On The Stupid".

Another observation - all these people that think "x" (ammo, food, clothes, shoes, medicines) should and will ALWAYS be off-the-shelf available-to-purchase could learn an immense amount from rural farm people from the 30s and 40s. I remember my father and grandfather mentioning that there was no commercial sales of ammo during WWII and that it didn't reappear on store shelves for a year or two afterwards. Gas was rationed. TIRES were unavailable. They were more particular about what they kept on hand after that.

Then again, there is always a run on the grocery stores and hardware stores every time a hurricane is forcast in Florida... and it's not like that is an unusual occurance... so being oblivious to, and unprepared for, certain circumstances isn't limited to gun people.
jackson
Silent But Deadly

Post by jackson »

most people in this country are spoiled,especially the younger generation. most don,t think any farther than the present hour and plan ahead for nothing.assuming everything will always be there for them.people should be planning ahead but that might mean sacrificing and denying one,s self of other pleasures and most wont do this.if you don,t have ammo ahead by now then stop complaining and pay the higher prices or sell some guns.
Loaded
Silent Operator

Post by Loaded »

There's no disputing times have changed drastically.......Old habits die hard. as it was said, you can't expect things to be avaiable all the time as they were in years past. Unfortunately these shortages, panic buying are the new era. I'm really glad I'm getting old. As I said, I've got enough to last me. It just pisses me off that things like this happen, especially in this country. Goes to show you the impact a few in the right positions can have on the masses. And, that's what people should really be outraged over.
GoingQuiet
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoingQuiet »

Fortune favors the prepared mind - Louis Pasteur

Based on all the whining I've been seeing at gun shows, forums and at the range - there are a LOT of unprepared minds out there.
GoingQuiet.com
07 FFL / 02 SOT
Melbourne, FL
NFA Sales & Transfers, Silencerco Stocking Distributor, AAC, SigSauer, Gemtech, Rock River Arms Stocking Dealer
[email protected]
LEON54
Silent Operator

Post by LEON54 »

Ammo should be available to buy. If I use up my 8,000 rounds of 556, or 3,000 rounds of 9mm or 3000 of 22lr. I should be able to go out and buy what I need to supply my needs for the day on my range without getting gouged by TICKS! And paying triple. I'm sure like most of us, we have ammo on hand but it is reserve ammo. I want to be able to go to walmart and resupply on 22 so I dont have to crack into my stock. Homeland security has bought 1.6 "BILLION" rounds to dry up supply! FYI
jackson
Silent But Deadly

Post by jackson »

well,we don,t always get what we want do we.