6" stainless .357

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

6" stainless .357

Post by Sdustin »

I've never been a wheel gun guy, that was until I trained with a smith and wesson 624 (I may be wrong on the number) with the state of Georgia for being a corrections officer. It was a 5" .38 special, I was amazed with the speed I could reload and accuracy in double action.

I got a Rossi 4" .38 5shot in a trade, I wanted a smaller barrel so, I traded the rossi for a Taurus 85 ultralite, it was a piece of s--t. One chamber was cut wrong and it would shave the jackets. This was a brand new gun. Well I traded it off since I didnt want to fool with wananty issues.

I had planed on getting another really light snubby for carrying but I've got two slim 9mm that I carry in rotation (lc9 pf9) I love them both.

Well I was at my local fun store and fell in love. It was a Rossi 6" stainless 6 shot .357. The Rossi I had at one point was a great gun. Well I drooled over this thing or an hour or so and decided the wife should know about this one, it was 350 it was used and I HAD to have it. The guys at the store know me and I told them I'd be back to get it on pay day if the ball-n-chain said yes. Well I called this morning as soon as they opened and was going to ask them to hold it. They sold it 5 min before closing yesterday.

So I've decided to buy a 6" stainless .357 I like the look of the Rossi I really did. And they are cheaper. Well out of the others I've looked at I like the ruger gp100 and smith and wesson 686, are there any others? I see the Taurus model
66 but I don't like taurus, I know Rossi is owned by taurus. What do you guy think would be a good 6" revolver. I know the colts are great but I'm trying to keep it around 500. I found the ruger for 639 new. I don't mind buying used either.

Sorry so long but thanks for reading and thanks for your thoughts.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
acg1911
Silent But Deadly

Re: 6" stainless .357

Post by acg1911 »

A Ruger or used Smith is the way to go. I own both brands, but no 6" guns. My favorite is a Model 60 Smith with Laserlyte grip.

It will be a long time before I buy another Taurus. I had a 66 that would lock up after firing a few cylinders. The cylinder would bind against the forcing cone. No problem, Lifetime Warranty..right? $65 shipping and insurance, and the Taurus was on its way to the "Repair Facility". Two weeks later the gun was returned, and in worse shape. The barrel was canted almost to the 1 o'clock position. I called my favorite local gun shop, where a real gunsmith works. He fixed the Taurus for about $50 (cheaper than shipping, and what I should have done in the first place). I traded the repaired Taurus and some cash to them for the Smith Model 60. A problem with an off-the-shelf production gun can happen to any and all brands. But when the repair facility puts their hands on it, it should be fixed.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

I picked up my S&W 686 6" stainless for $550 used from a shop local to me.
Awesome revolver.
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

I've decided i won't pass up a deal on a Rossi if I can get it in stainless and 6" for anything near 350 again. But I'm going to be on the look out for a used smith 686. I'll not but a Taurus ever again. I know Rossi is about the same as Taurus but from all I've read on the net they are better an the one I had was good so I'll take a chance on that one. I got quoted 425 new for thy Rossi. But he said it was hard to get it. I may looks round more and see if anyone can get me that gun for that price ad just do it.

But I also saw the ruger gp100 today for 609. I may justspend the money for that first, I'm not sure at all. I know I liked the look of the Rossi if it fires good then id love it. I know it's not on the same level but it's like 35% cheaper tan the ruger and less than half of the smith. So that's where I'm at. Don't know why but the Rossi just has a good look to me.
acg1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by acg1911 »

Sdustin wrote:I've decided i won't pass up a deal on a Rossi if I can get it in stainless and 6" for anything near 350 again. But I'm going to be on the look out for a used smith 686. I'll not but a Taurus ever again. I know Rossi is about the same as Taurus but from all I've read on the net they are better an the one I had was good so I'll take a chance on that one. I got quoted 425 new for thy Rossi. But he said it was hard to get it. I may looks round more and see if anyone can get me that gun for that price ad just do it.

But I also saw the ruger gp100 today for 609. I may justspend the money for that first, I'm not sure at all. I know I liked the look of the Rossi if it fires good then id love it. I know it's not on the same level but it's like 35% cheaper tan the ruger and less than half of the smith. So that's where I'm at. Don't know why but the Rossi just has a good look to me.
I had an 8" Rossi years ago that I used for bowling pins. I had no problems with it. But if The Taurus repair facility handles Rossi repairs, I would not buy the Rossi. Also, look closely at the barrel on revolvers. Since I had the canted barrel issue on the Taurus, I've paid more attention when I pick up a revolver. It is pitiful how many NIB guns have the same issue.
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

i got a like new smith 386 XL hunter it wis awesome and feels like a feather next to a 686. its a 7 shot L frame 357 mag on the airweight frame, ive been carring it IWB and love it.