silenced black powder?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

keepinitreal538

silenced black powder?

Post by keepinitreal538 »

just thought that topic might get peoples attention. can it be done? i say that knowing you would have to clean the suppressor every 5-10 shots. but im curious i bet it would be quieter then a 300 blackout with subs. i guess that is the real question my friend brought his 300 blackout in 700 rem with YHM can. while i feel it was very quiet i think i have heard quieter. what are your thoughts as to what can have enough power to take a hog at 100 yds and be very quiet.???

has anyone been able to here side by side comparisons on any of the big bore subsonics?
300 blackout
45-70
44 mag
338 lapua whisper
any others and whats the quietest?
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: silenced black powder?

Post by doubloon »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

So if the suppressor is an integral on a black powder rifle and can't be easily removed to use on a "firearm" then it isn't regulated .......just like all the integral pellet rifles ...?right?.....so no stamp, no paperwork required?
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

daviscustom wrote:So if the suppressor is an integral on a black powder rifle and can't be easily removed to use on a "firearm" then it isn't regulated .......just like all the integral pellet rifles ...?right?.....so no stamp, no paperwork required?
IF the ATF gives the sign off on it which will include sending blueprints and full specs........THEN they might say yes or no. I have seen it both ways for the EXACT same design, and exact same blueprints.
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

I figured if it wasn't approved by the feds you'd be in a tight spot.....not really that interested in BP but I was guessing it could be done.

How long does it take to get an initial response on something like that? Guessing there ends up being a lot of back and forth with the ATF and tweaking the design to make them happy......unless you just get lucky.
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

daviscustom wrote:I figured if it wasn't approved by the feds you'd be in a tight spot.....not really that interested in BP but I was guessing it could be done.

How long does it take to get an initial response on something like that? Guessing there ends up being a lot of back and forth with the ATF and tweaking the design to make them happy......unless you just get lucky.
Response time for something like that could vary from 4-48 months.

They only go back and forth a few times for individuals, now for the commercial market they will go back and forth until its satisfactory and ready for production. Most individuals give up long before its ever approved.
windchaser

Post by windchaser »

For many years i have fired and hunted with Black Powder rifles and muskets, no powder pellets at all. Besides the burnt and un burned residue build up in this suppressor you are asking about you will always have a noise coming from the hole in the barrel were the powder from from the pan burns through the barrel. In the case of a cap lock the hammer striking the cap makes a snapping sound. Should you ever build one remember not all powder burns up and it will collect in or go out the muzzle. Enough powder build up and you have a small bomb that will mess you and weapon up big time. There are other things to consider as well. My German isn't so good these days but smoke poles are also called fire spitten und loudem boomers. Stay safe.
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

windchaser wrote:For many years i have fired and hunted with Black Powder rifles and muskets, no powder pellets at all. Besides the burnt and un burned residue build up in this suppressor you are asking about you will always have a noise coming from the hole in the barrel were the powder from from the pan burns through the barrel. In the case of a cap lock the hammer striking the cap makes a snapping sound. Should you ever build one remember not all powder burns up and it will collect in or go out the muzzle. Enough powder build up and you have a small bomb that will mess you and weapon up big time. There are other things to consider as well. My German isn't so good these days but smoke poles are also called fire spitten und loudem boomers. Stay safe.
+1 on the concerns about buildup. BP firearms leave a lot of unburned powder that could potentially gather in the nooks and crannies and create one hell of a third or fifth round pop! Unfortunately you may wind up looking like Wiley Coyote after an ACME purchase. I agree you are asking for a dangerous situation there.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

Shift1 wrote:
windchaser wrote:For many years i have fired and hunted with Black Powder rifles and muskets, no powder pellets at all. Besides the burnt and un burned residue build up in this suppressor you are asking about you will always have a noise coming from the hole in the barrel were the powder from from the pan burns through the barrel. In the case of a cap lock the hammer striking the cap makes a snapping sound. Should you ever build one remember not all powder burns up and it will collect in or go out the muzzle. Enough powder build up and you have a small bomb that will mess you and weapon up big time. There are other things to consider as well. My German isn't so good these days but smoke poles are also called fire spitten und loudem boomers. Stay safe.
+1 on the concerns about buildup. BP firearms leave a lot of unburned powder that could potentially gather in the nooks and crannies and create one hell of a third or fifth round pop! Unfortunately you may wind up looking like Wiley Coyote after an ACME purchase. I agree you are asking for a dangerous situation there.

"Fifth round pop" that is great :lol:
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
crazyelece
Senior Silent Operator

Post by crazyelece »

Paintball guns aren't regulated either, but for years the BATFE said NO to adding suppressors to them. With all the crap that was tried to get passed and failed I have no idea how the pelet gun industry got approved. I haven't been in the game for quite some time so I don't know if they ever got an approved design for paintball. But safety aspect aside, I doubt they'd approve without a Form1 submission and registration.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

crazyelece wrote:Paintball guns aren't regulated either, but for years the BATFE said NO to adding suppressors to them. With all the crap that was tried to get passed and failed I have no idea how the pelet gun industry got approved. I haven't been in the game for quite some time so I don't know if they ever got an approved design for paintball. But safety aspect aside, I doubt they'd approve without a Form1 submission and registration.
No approved designs as of now for paintballs.