First time builder. I have some questions...

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Boom_Stick

First time builder. I have some questions...

Post by Boom_Stick »

1) As I've researched this topic I've found a lot of talk regarding patent infringments/violations. If there's a baffle design you want to mimic, or part of a design you want to incorperate into yours such as how a can comes apart or goes togather, how do you go about not violating?

2) Once I build a tube and serialize it can I destroy the baffles and manufacture a replacement set of baffles under the same form 1 or do I have to submit another form 1? (this is in case I want to try a different baffle stack design later down the road)

3) Is the baffle stack the only part of the can I have to keep control of? Ie: can I leave the tube at the machinists place of business till he's done?

4) can I build the tube (not the stack) before I get my form 1 back?

Havn't settled on a stack design but it will be mono core. It'll consist of a permanently attached tube so I can have an OAL of 16' w/o the need for paperwork (SBR not legal in WA). The guts will simply come out the front for cleaning and cleaning of the barrel.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Re: First time builder. I have some questions...

Post by Dr.K »

Boom_Stick wrote:1) As I've researched this topic I've found a lot of talk regarding patent infringments/violations. If there's a baffle design you want to mimic, or part of a design you want to incorperate into yours such as how a can comes apart or goes togather, how do you go about not violating?

Check patents

2) Once I build a tube and serialize it can I destroy the baffles and manufacture a replacement set of baffles under the same form 1 or do I have to submit another form 1? (this is in case I want to try a different baffle stack design later down the road)

No, submit another form 1 for different anything

3) Is the baffle stack the only part of the can I have to keep control of? Ie: can I leave the tube at the machinists place of business till he's done?

Must have possession of all parts at all times.

4) can I build the tube (not the stack) before I get my form 1 back?

No, same penalty as building one without a form...felony

Havn't settled on a stack design but it will be mono core. It'll consist of a permanently attached tube so I can have an OAL of 16' w/o the need for paperwork (SBR not legal in WA). The guts will simply come out the front for cleaning and cleaning of the barrel.
Kyle O.
DMY
Senior Silent Operator

Re: First time builder. I have some questions...

Post by DMY »

Boom_Stick wrote: 2) Once I build a tube and serialize it can I destroy the baffles and manufacture a replacement set of baffles under the same form 1 or do I have to submit another form 1? (this is in case I want to try a different baffle stack design later down the road)
Pretty sure the answer is no here. Check out the second question in the FAQ: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nationa ... cer-repair

I would really like to see the language of the statute that requires any other person (presumably you, if you manufactured the silencer) to register a replacement repair part for an existing silencer as separate silencer. It just sounds fishy. Maybe one of these days I'll have the time to look for it.
Boom_Stick wrote: 4) can I build the tube (not the stack) before I get my form 1 back?
Generally no. If a part is intended only for use in the assembly or fabrication of a suppressor, then it's technically a suppressor by law, and must be appropriately registered. If that tube's only purpose is to be part of a suppressor, then you need to wait for the appropriate paperwork to come back.

Read the section "Muffler or silencer." http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c= ... 2.4.2.16.1