Effect of a can on accuracy of M1A???

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Effect of a can on accuracy of M1A???

Post by eastern_hunter »

Guys,

I have an old but very accurate Springfield Armory M1A. Is bedded into an M14 stock and has a NM barrel. It is very accurate.

Am thinking of fitting an SAS Titanium Arbiter can which is light weight and shows little to no impact on accuracy mounted on my Savage bolt rifle fitted with a 1:10 Douglas barrel.

Any thoughts on the impact that the can would have on the M1A?

Thanks!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Effect of a can on accuracy of M1A???

Post by Bendersquint »

eastern_hunter wrote:Guys,

I have an old but very accurate Springfield Armory M1A. Is bedded into an M14 stock and has a NM barrel. It is very accurate.

Am thinking of fitting an SAS Titanium Arbiter can which is light weight and shows little to no impact on accuracy mounted on my Savage bolt rifle fitted with a 1:10 Douglas barrel.

Thanks!
Noone can answer that.

Some cans have no POI shift on one rifle and put it on another with different specs and has a huge amount of POI shift.

Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to it.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

With bender on this. Barrel harmonics...maybe? Have a suppressor adaptable M1A that was a match accurate rifle. Put it in a new stock, had the OEM barrel cut down, threaded, and a YHM Phantom adapter installed. Not complaining about the accuracy, with or without the suppressor attached, but it's gone from 100 yd 1" accuracy to the 2"+ realm. With or without the suppressor. Repeatable shift, and if pressed, the suppressor on mode provides tighter groups. Not shooting 168gr match stuff outta this one, just mil. grade, 148-150gr fodder.

Couple of thoughts:
1) If it's shooting well, you change something, it's a crap shoot on whether it"ll be better or worse.
2) IMHO, it seems applying a suppressor is more a good, than bad thing.

Just a data point.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
RWBlue
Silent But Deadly

Post by RWBlue »

On mine....
It changed POI a good bit.
It didn't help accuracy.
Brandon1

Post by Brandon1 »

I hope to know soon. I have a Fisher can for my m14 that should be approved within a month. :? Maybe??? :(
WarbirdsCustomGuns

Post by WarbirdsCustomGuns »

Bendersquint wrote:

Noone can answer that.
Actually, I can answer the question.

If you're using the std 22" USGI profile barrel, you'll see considerable bullet drop at 100 yards regardless of the weight of the suppressor.
We fired suppressors that weighed 20oz-28oz.
The more weight it has, the more bullet drop you get tho not much difference.

I installed one of my DTA thread adapters on a 22" std GI profile barrel & got the following.
Rifle zeroed at 100 yards with flashider.
Installed my thread adapter & one of our Defiant S/S suppressors that weighed 27oz & got a bullet drop of 12" down & 1-1/2 " right.
The same rifle with the same can but, with Titanium baffles that weighed 23oz was 10" down & 1-1/2" right.

We got 3/4" groups from the suppressor we used & we only fired 147gr ball ammo.
The barrel was chrome lined.
The reason for so much bullet drop is that the barrel in front of the gas cylinder is only .590 in diameter.
I have a patent pending on a new M-14 barrel design that would eliminate most of the bullet drop but, unfortunately because of a certain barrel manufacturer we ordered 75% blanks from, we won't be making the barrels.

07/SOT2
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

WarbirdsCustomGuns wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

Noone can answer that.
Actually, I can answer the question.

If you're using the std 22" USGI profile barrel, you'll see considerable bullet drop at 100 yards regardless of the weight of the suppressor.
We fired suppressors that weighed 20oz-28oz.
The more weight it has, the more bullet drop you get tho not much difference.

I installed one of my DTA thread adapters on a 22" std GI profile barrel & got the following.
Rifle zeroed at 100 yards with flashider.
Installed my thread adapter & one of our Defiant S/S suppressors that weighed 27oz & got a bullet drop of 12" down & 1-1/2 " right.
The same rifle with the same can but, with Titanium baffles that weighed 23oz was 10" down & 1-1/2" right.

We got 3/4" groups from the suppressor we used & we only fired 147gr ball ammo.
The barrel was chrome lined.
The reason for so much bullet drop is that the barrel in front of the gas cylinder is only .590 in diameter.
I have a patent pending on a new M-14 barrel design that would eliminate most of the bullet drop but, unfortunately because of a certain barrel manufacturer we ordered 75% blanks from, we won't be making the barrels.

Saw a M1A that had hardly any impact shift with the can on and another with almost 10moa shift.

Hence the COMPLETE comment, not just the line that you quoted. ;)
WarbirdsCustomGuns

Post by WarbirdsCustomGuns »

A can (for muzzle threads) that hangs on the very end of the muzzle will have more drop than a can such as a Sonic type that comes back over the barrel.
The Ceiner (bad name I know) & the SCRC MK25 (Tim Bixler) both come back over the barrel & give less bullet drop due to the can weight being better supported.
The SCRC MK25 is 1-5/8" diameter & 14" long & about 8" hangs in front of the muzzle.
I still prefer a muzzle type can

07/SOT2