K Baffle Vent Jig

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

K Baffle Vent Jig

Post by Enfield577 »

Inspired by a recent post when a guy was asking if he could make Ks without a mill, it got me thinking.

I realised of course that you could do it but i said that it would not be easy.

Up until now I had used a mill to drop the ball nose cutter down for the vents in Ks and of course it takes a bit of set-up time in the mill

Anyway I made this little jig, it is quick to load a blank baffle and cut the vents at 180 degrees from each side to a set depth. I even did this one free hand with a pistol drill, so if you could get the jig made you could do it without a pillar drill.

Sure I know this is more of a production tool but it was more of an experimenting in making a more difficult task easy

Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Re: K Baffle Vent Jig

Post by Historian »

Enfield, fabulous design, presentation, photos,
and smile generating. Thank you for adding to
to the start of another happy sunny morning.

When teleporting becomes a reality I shall drop down and
treat you to a great dinner with pairings of fine wines.

Of course that is after I have first used the teleporter to zap all leftist marxist
demonRats to a reeducation camp in central Borneo.
"Don't lose your heads, Diane and Chuck!" :) :)
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

very nice! :mrgreen:
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Cool idea!

I have been thinking about a K baffled can, but have not got around to a design. This would help me out, as I don't have a mill, but seems I may need a mill to make one :lol: .
Kyle O.
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

Historian, as usual I appreciate your compliments, and yes if you could get down this way you would be most welcome, as for the teleporter I will see what I can know up in the workshop :lol:

Dr.K , well you know you could easily make this jig with a lathe and a pillar drill, if you get to that stage get in touch and I could get you through the process step by step.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Enfield577 wrote:Historian, as usual I appreciate your compliments, and yes if you could get down this way you would be most welcome, as for the teleporter I will see what I can know up in the workshop :lol:

Dr.K , well you know you could easily make this jig with a lathe and a pillar drill, if you get to that stage get in touch and I could get you through the process step by step.
I know the holes would be no problem, but squaring off the stock was the mill part I was referring to...I could see the marks on yours from the endmill.

But, by all means. Don't try to talk me out of a mill, I know I NEED one :wink:
Kyle O.
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

Dr.K wrote:
Enfield577 wrote:Historian, as usual I appreciate your compliments, and yes if you could get down this way you would be most welcome, as for the teleporter I will see what I can know up in the workshop :lol:

I know the holes would be no problem, but squaring off the stock was the mill part I was referring to...I could see the marks on yours from the endmill.

Oh yes you reeeeaaaallllyyyy neeeeeeed a mill :lol:

For squaring up, just hold the blocks in a 4 jaw or hold the stock on the toolpost and put a cutter in the chuck
punkinhead
Silent Operator

Post by punkinhead »

If you have a lathe with a 4 jaw why not just offset the part in the chuck and drill with the tailstock? It'd be faster than making a jig.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

punkinhead wrote:If you have a lathe with a 4 jaw why not just offset the part in the chuck and drill with the tailstock? It'd be faster than making a jig.
Because making a jig is awesome? :lol:
Kyle O.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Dr.K wrote: Because making a jig is awesome? :lol:
That and the fact that both scoops are not always of center for the same distance.

Making it this way insures one that they are exactly 180 degrees apart and spaced right where one needs them to be, time and time again and not having to change your 4 jaws.
one can also experiment with scoop depth a lot easier.

Enfield, you did it again, fantastic work nicely executed, real outside the box thinking again.
This might also help you with some multi scoop tests, different angles and depth of front and rear scoop

Gunny
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

Nicely made fixture....uniform attributes to all components makes for a predictable outcome.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

pretty slick! jigs always speed the process for multiple parts. 8)
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

punkinhead wrote:If you have a lathe with a 4 jaw why not just offset the part in the chuck and drill with the tailstock? It'd be faster than making a jig.

You are of course correct and great for people to see just how many ways there are of making the same thing.

Now I have around 30 baffles to do soon, I will use my jig and you use your lathe, the slowest buys the beers :lol:
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

Enfield577 wrote:

You are of course correct and great for people to see just how many ways there are of making the same thing.

Now I have around 30 baffles to do soon, I will use my jig and you use your lathe, the slowest buys the beers :lol:
A good jig is priceless. I have seen jigs for what seem like the oddest things but when you need that odd thing that jig is the cats meow..
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
BeerWolf
Silent Operator

Post by BeerWolf »

In aerospace we lived and died by jigs and tooling.

We had jigs to cut titanium sheet parts with a hand router and then drilled with a hand drill, bypassing the milling or stamping step completely.

A good jig is a work of art, and that's what you have here.

Bravo, sir.
Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone?
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

BeerWolf wrote:In aerospace we lived and died by jigs and tooling.

We had jigs to cut titanium sheet parts with a hand router and then drilled with a hand drill, bypassing the milling or stamping step completely.

A good jig is a work of art, and that's what you have here.

Bravo, sir.
Funy you say that, I used to be a toolmaker, then tooling engineer in the Aerospace industry when I lived in the UK :lol:
Last edited by Enfield577 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Dr.K wrote:

Yes!!! You do need one. You must have one. Every guy has got to get one!
Your psyche's well being demands it.

( Did I phrase it correctly so that you can show your wife that it is not your fault, that she really must blame the
compelling advocacy of the guys on the SIlencer SIte??) :) :)

Good luck convincing her.
pnl2012
Senior Silent Operator

Post by pnl2012 »

Enfield’s work is just amazing; i love it and follow as much as i can.Your “K-Jig” idea is amazing but lack on one “small” detail: Not all Form 1 builders (or those builders not being from USA but still being legal) can afford to have a Mill or a 4 Jaw Chuck or a Drill Press or a Milling Attachment. I’m thinking more on those having a Small/Mini Lathe and some other Home Shop tools. Now, since the “K-Jig” is not a Suppressor Part but a Tool, why not to build it out in a 3D Printer On-Line Service ?. One can use a High Strength Polymer for building, let say strong enough for 8-10 K-Baffles, and then it’s gone (due to friction). For those just building ONE Can it can be an option to easily Port (Mouse and Plate) with a Hand Drill for less than 20 dollars. Just a guess …  I’ve been doing that for more than a year now and work like hell.
BeerWolf
Silent Operator

Post by BeerWolf »

Enfield577 wrote:Funy you say that, I used to be a toolmaker, then tooling engineer in the Aerospace industry when I lived in the UK :lol:
Oh...so you're one of those funny chaps who says "Tit-tan-nium" and "Airscrew" instead of "Ti-tainium" and "Propeller" like us American folks. :lol:

Still, I have to say, on this and others I've seen, mighty fine work.
Mighty fine work indeed.
Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone?
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

BeerWolf wrote:
Enfield577 wrote:Funy you say that, I used to be a toolmaker, then tooling engineer in the Aerospace industry when I lived in the UK :lol:
Oh...so you're one of those funny chaps who says "Tit-tan-nium" and "Airscrew" instead of "Ti-tainium" and "Propeller" like us American folks. :lol:

Still, I have to say, on this and others I've seen, mighty fine work.
Mighty fine work indeed.
Beerwolf, since you are shinning your TORCH on the subject, add 'Al-You-Mini-Umm' and
'Lab- OR-atory'
.... :) :)

But then after all, they did 'invent' the wonderful English Language, with the help of some
Saxons, Norsemen, Romans, Anglos ( not allowed in East LA ), Welsh, etc.
OK, and some French or as my UK buddy used to say "Froggy Talk".

And who can forget the acute panic when you drive out of London for the first time
and discover that the 'bloody' traffic is coming directly at you from the wrong side of the road!

As Bertrand Russell, the great Logician, philosopher, and of course philander,
said, the power of the English Language lies in
its ambiguity that allows for multiple
contextual interpretations thus capturing unlimited numbers of creative
metaphors. Contrast this with German that requires, e.g., Kant, five lines of concatenated
words to convey a new metaphor.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

Very....Very Nice!!!!
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

extremely nice
NP
bedwetter904

Post by bedwetter904 »

I'm digging up this old thread because I was able to snag the original pictures on google. What caliber did you have this jig made for? I am making a 9mm can once my form comes back and I am hoping to find a jig to do the vent holes with. The design is great!
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

bedwetter904 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:20 am I'm digging up this old thread because I was able to snag the original pictures on google.
Then post them to imgr as tinypic has eaten them.
It sure would be nice to have some pic mirror links.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
spu313

Post by spu313 »

bedwetter904 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:20 am I'm digging up this old thread because I was able to snag the original pictures on google. What caliber did you have this jig made for? I am making a 9mm can once my form comes back and I am hoping to find a jig to do the vent holes with. The design is great!
I'm going to second in asking you to mirror on imgur - I just had a discussion about how I didn't have the machinery to clip K-baffles, but a jig would definitely make that doable!