10mm is there any point vs 45acp when talking suppressed

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Burt Gummer

10mm is there any point vs 45acp when talking suppressed

Post by Burt Gummer »

I like the Glock 20 and appreciate it as a firearm, but for suppressed fire is there much of a point to it. I have a G21 SF already with some triangle-goofy tall sights that work great with an Osprey 45.

For a while I thought I'd pick up a G20 - never had a 10mm before, but I guess there is no point to it. I want to stay quiet and subsonic, and if I am throwing out 230g's of lead subsonic with a 45acp, I guess I should stick with a G21/G30.
Osprey 45, Sparrow, Mystic, SDN6 (pending), M4-2000; Element2; - 'no money for groceries'
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Re: 10mm is there any point vs 45acp when talking suppressed

Post by eric10mm »

If you're asking if there is any point to subsonic 10mm loads, I say no there is not. That's what .40SW is for.

I have a similar answer to subsonic .357Magnum loads. That's what .38Special is for.
Burt Gummer

Post by Burt Gummer »

That's what I thought. Will stick with 230g 45acp.
Osprey 45, Sparrow, Mystic, SDN6 (pending), M4-2000; Element2; - 'no money for groceries'
jrh888

Post by jrh888 »

Burt Gummer wrote: For a while I thought I'd pick up a G20 - never had a 10mm before, but I guess there is no point to it.
There could be a reason for preferring a suppressed 10mm over a suppressed .45 ACP. What are you wanting to do with your suppressed rounds? Are you hunting (where penetration would be desirable) or more like me and just want to be shooting "the most powerful suppressed handgun that I can" for any situation or maybe something else?

In case you didn't see it, I had a similar question you, and posted on a different topic: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=67631

I bought a chronograph and some new ammo, and some of my test results are in!

For .45 ACP, I used a Sig P220 Elite Dark TB (4.9" barrel), and AWC Triad TI. For DoubleTap's 255 grain +P hardcast load, I got an average of 882 fps unsuppressed and 917 fps suppressed. (That's a 4% increase in velocity with the can.) Next, I tried 230 grain Speer Gold Dots. I got an average of 858 fps unsuppressed and 897 fps suppressed. (A similar 4.5% increase suppressed.)

Trying to stay on topic, I will post my preliminary 10mm test results on the topic mentioned above.
(Sorry, I posted on that topic before I saw your topic.)

Also, if you are interested in hunting / penetration loads, DoubleTap sells a subsonic 180 grain hardcast .357 Sig load. I haven't tested it yet, but considering the sectional density factor, it seems interesting.