Subsonic Reloading Manual?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Fallschirmjäger
Silent Operator

Subsonic Reloading Manual?

Post by Fallschirmjäger »

I googled this a bit expecting to find something but it all seemed to come up as folks looking for load data, which seems to be sporadic. Is there anything available that serves as a reloading manual for subsonic loads, like a typical reloading manual is set up? Like I said, I keep finding individual references to specific loads, even from manufacturers, but no comprehensive tome on subsonic reloading and load data. I'm new to this since I just picked up my can and I'd like to find something to put on the bench just like my other references.

Thanks!
atilliar
Silent Operator

Re: Subsonic Reloading Manual?

Post by atilliar »

As far as I'm aware no such tome of knowledge exists. You will have to get close with data you can find on this site and others and then tweak it for your gun and needs. Sorry there is no cookie cutter answer for you on this but good luck. All of us that have done this have gone down this same road. Welcome to the club. :)
"What worries me is not the younger generation's rebelliousness in petty matters, but their tameness in great matters." Albert Jay Nock
M4-1000
Eco 9
Omega
SBR
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

At nearly every site, for almost every rifle you can find posts of people's favorite recipes and reports of different results for the same recipes in nearly identical rifles.

It's definitely an adventure and the woods are full of crazies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

You need to buy yourself a Chronograph.
I've owned the same one for 20 years and used it again just
this weekend to check different 22lr rounds in 3 different barrel lengths.
Trying to find the optimal position to place ports.
Next to my Lathe and Mill, it seems to be the next most used tool.
atilliar
Silent Operator

Post by atilliar »

You may want to check out the reloading board here and see if anyone has some data you are looking for.
"What worries me is not the younger generation's rebelliousness in petty matters, but their tameness in great matters." Albert Jay Nock
M4-1000
Eco 9
Omega
SBR
Fallschirmjäger
Silent Operator

Thanks for all the feedback.

I actually own a ProChrono, and I agree it's an essential tool for reloading, regardless of sub or supersonic loads. Reloading manuals give you their figures based on a test rifle with x barrel length, which typically doesn't match what I'm loading for, so the chrono gets a lot of use.

Doubloon, i think you hit the nail on the head; every time I google I get data, but it's from a lot of well meaning folks and not from any definitive source. Besides reading about various loads, I see information about secondary ignitions when shooting subsonic, info about lubing bullets, and a wealth of other stuff I don't know whether I need to worry about. I'm just surprised we have to use google for all this when I'd expect that with all the interest in suppressors there'd be a book out that would detail all the in's and out's.

Anyways, thanks again for the feedback everyone!
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

Fallschirmjäger wrote:Thanks for all the feedback.

I actually own a ProChrono, and I agree it's an essential tool for reloading, regardless of sub or supersonic loads. Reloading manuals give you their figures based on a test rifle with x barrel length, which typically doesn't match what I'm loading for, so the chrono gets a lot of use.

Doubloon, i think you hit the nail on the head; every time I google I get data, but it's from a lot of well meaning folks and not from any definitive source. Besides reading about various loads, I see information about secondary ignitions when shooting subsonic, info about lubing bullets, and a wealth of other stuff I don't know whether I need to worry about. I'm just surprised we have to use google for all this when I'd expect that with all the interest in suppressors there'd be a book out that would detail all the in's and out's.

Anyways, thanks again for the feedback everyone!

Sounds like you could gather, test and publish said book......I'd buy a copy since I'm thinking I'll get in the reloading game sooner rather than later now that I'm starting to get close to having cans get their final approval.
I've gotta stop this habit.
Fallschirmjäger
Silent Operator

OJB4 wrote: Sounds like you could gather, test and publish said book......I'd buy a copy since I'm thinking I'll get in the reloading game sooner rather than later now that I'm starting to get close to having cans get their final approval.
The thought has crossed my mind. I'm actually thinking of something else, but much the same...