Concealed Carry in California

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Concealed Carry in California

Post by YugoRPK »

I am considering a position in Sacramento. The concealed carry prohibition in CA, or at least its near impossibility for regular shmoes, have always left me not wanting to move back to California. I understand that the Sacramento County sheriff is actually issuing CCW's. Anyone have any first hand experience with CCW in Sacramento. My take is that is "almost" shall issue but not quite. You still need a "valid" reason of some sorts to make it through the system.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Concealed Carry in California

Post by Bendersquint »

YugoRPK wrote:I am considering a position in Sacramento. The concealed carry prohibition in CA, or at least its near impossibility for regular shmoes, have always left me not wanting to move back to California. I understand that the Sacramento County sheriff is actually issuing CCW's. Anyone have any first hand experience with CCW in Sacramento. My take is that is "almost" shall issue but not quite. You still need a "valid" reason of some sorts to make it through the system.
I know of 4 denials,

"my ex-financee is stalking me and said he will kill me" Denied because that is not a valid reason.
"Single mom military widow with 3 kids and been threatened" Denied because it is not a valid reason.

Not for certain the other 2 denials.

I have no idea WHAT a valid reason would be if those 2 examples are not.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Bendersquint wrote:
YugoRPK wrote:I am considering a position in Sacramento. The concealed carry prohibition in CA, or at least its near impossibility for regular shmoes, have always left me not wanting to move back to California. I understand that the Sacramento County sheriff is actually issuing CCW's. Anyone have any first hand experience with CCW in Sacramento. My take is that is "almost" shall issue but not quite. You still need a "valid" reason of some sorts to make it through the system.
I know of 4 denials,

"my ex-financee is stalking me and said he will kill me" Denied because that is not a valid reason.
"Single mom military widow with 3 kids and been threatened" Denied because it is not a valid reason.

Its all county by county. From what I understand "self defense" is a valid enough reason in Sacramento County. The sheriff there was elected on a pro gun platform. They do require a year long residency in the county. They are processing through a year long backlog though. Looks like most , if not all of the central valley is OK for concealed carry issuing by the county sheriff's. The coastal side hasnt changed much. Permits still good state wide .
Last edited by YugoRPK on Mon May 27, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

YugoRPK wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
I know of 4 denials,

Its all county by county. From what I understand "self defense" is a valid enough reason in Sacramento County. They are processing through a year long backlog though.
These were in Sacremento, Kalifornia all since Sep1 2012.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Are you a movie star? That seems to help.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Bendersquint wrote:]

These were in Sacremento, Kalifornia all since Sep1 2012.
That goes against everything Ive heard from the people I know who live there and from what Ive seen on calguns. I think you might be getting "part" of the story. The part about the applicants needing a PERFECTLY clean record even if they are being threatened is probably getting left out. Its a solid requirement. Even DUI's get turned down.
Last edited by YugoRPK on Mon May 27, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

66427vette wrote:Are you a movie star? That seems to help.
Only two movie stars have ever been to Sacramento and I'm not really sure Ron or Arnold ever spent any time there. . One of the things that is attracting me to the area is that all the "cool" people in Sacramento have left for Portland.