7" bbl Remington 870 breaching shotgun question

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

7" bbl Remington 870 breaching shotgun question

Post by Sigproshooter »

These have been used in the Ranger Batt for breaching, does anybody have info such as availability, prices or anything else useful?

and secondly,

since this is an aow, someone living in a non-sbs state can own it correct?
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Re: 7" bbl Remington 870 breaching shotgun question

Post by tsands974 »

It's a Remington 870 MCS. It comes with 3 barrel lengths and magazine tubes and buttstocks. Thus, if you buy it as it is sold from the factory it is an sbs. Prices are usually in the mid $2,000 range.
Ratbat
Silent Operator

Post by Ratbat »

I know of two sources. SERBU and Safety Harbor Firearms.
I bought the Safety Harbor KEG12; it's a Remington 870 with a pistol grip, seven and a quarter (7 1/4 ") barrel and a two plus one capacity. Price is $745.
It's classified as AOW because it is manufactured as a pistol-grip shotgun so it is not considered a SBS.
Tax stamp is $5.00

They also offer a 10" with a three plus one capacity.
A breaching device is available for the muzzle.
A Mossberg version is also available at a slightly lower price.
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

Thanks for the replies,

Do you like yours?

Other than the recoil on a pistol, does it appear to be reliable and durable?
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
Ratbat
Silent Operator

Post by Ratbat »

There are several videos on YOUTUBE of the KEG-12. As for reliability and durable...it's an 870; thousands of cops and sportsmen can't be wrong. It has a fold down front grip so you have two control points for recoil control. Without meaning to be, your other question was actually cruel...I'm still waiting for the ATF to approve the paperwork. Current estimates are around eight months. Good luck.
lostwasthechild
Silent But Deadly

Post by lostwasthechild »

I've seen the legit remington 870 breaching guns only(without all the MCS upgrades) as AOW go for about 1500. Last one I saw was on either GB or Sturme. I've also seen them in gun shops in AZ every once in awhile.

They're cool, they work, and they're a lot of fun. If you get one, be prepared to cut the rubber mold on the pistol grip around the safety. The pistol grips are so built up to allow a good grip, that they make it hard to get your finger over the cross bolt safety, and I've seen dudes' fingers slip and AD the thing. Not pretty.

Lost
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

I'm getting the itch to have one. I'm a 12g lover.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

lostwasthechild wrote:I've seen the legit remington 870 breaching guns only(without all the MCS upgrades) as AOW go for about 1500. Last one I saw was on either GB or Sturme. I've also seen them in gun shops in AZ every once in awhile.

They're cool, they work, and they're a lot of fun. If you get one, be prepared to cut the rubber mold on the pistol grip around the safety. The pistol grips are so built up to allow a good grip, that they make it hard to get your finger over the cross bolt safety, and I've seen dudes' fingers slip and AD the thing. Not pretty.

Lost
I don't have any issues with the safety on my Serbu.
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

Ratbat wrote:There are several videos on YOUTUBE of the KEG-12. As for reliability and durable...it's an 870; thousands of cops and sportsmen can't be wrong. It has a fold down front grip so you have two control points for recoil control. Without meaning to be, your other question was actually cruel...I'm still waiting for the ATF to approve the paperwork. Current estimates are around eight months. Good luck.

I have used one variant or other of the 870 for over 30 years, but I've never used these itty-bitty ones before. other than action bars, mag tube and bbl, are there any other mods they made on this one? That is more where my question was coming from.

And I too am having a severe itch to get one of these little hot rods continuity. 8)

I live in a non-sbs state so I guess an aow is as close as I will get provided we do not get this goofy restriction changed.
Sun Tzu
lostwasthechild
Silent But Deadly

Post by lostwasthechild »

Bender,

This is the grip im refering too. You can see how much thicker the grip is then a Serbu, and the lip just before the cross bolt can be an issue during high-stress/loss of fine motor skills situation.

http://www.autoweapons.com/photos06/jan ... reech.html

Heard of a guy's finger slipping an shooting his buddy's calf off. It's still a sweet gun for what it is, though.

Lost
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

lostwasthechild wrote:Bender,

This is the grip im refering too. You can see how much thicker the grip is then a Serbu, and the lip just before the cross bolt can be an issue during high-stress/loss of fine motor skills situation.

http://www.autoweapons.com/photos06/jan ... reech.html

Heard of a guy's finger slipping an shooting his buddy's calf off. It's still a sweet gun for what it is, though.

Lost
I had one of those grips on my Serbu and it wasn't a problem at all, now I have a Hogue Tamer on it and still no issue.

Perhaps that guy had some weird sized hands...
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

Bender will you post some pictures of your Serbu sometime?

Also, if you would will you share some experiences you have had with shot groups at various distances?

On the other hand, if you don't it will probably save me money and time waiting on another tax stamp and you might be doing me a favor. 8)
Sun Tzu
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

will you post some pictures of your Serbu sometime?

Also, if you would will you share some experiences you have had with shot groups at various distances?
Mines not a Serbu but here's a few pics:

Safety Harbor Firearms KEG 12 7.5" AOW:

5 Yard Pattern with Fiochi #4 Buckshot:

10 yard Pattern Fiocchi #4 Buckshot

15 yard pattern Fiocchi #4 Buckshot

15 yard Pattern Fiocchi 1 ounce slugs fired with two hand hold like a conventional handgun (4 lowest holes on the target are from the wads):

I have killed jackrabbits out to 40 paces with it using 3 inch magnum Federal #2 Turkey loads with Flite Control Wads:

I shitcanned the factory "birdshead" grip soon after I bought it and it wears the Hogue Tamer now.
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

Thank you sir!!!!!!

That is exactly what I was wanting to see. It appears to pattern better than I would have expected, that is a nice surprise.

8)
Sun Tzu
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Mine looks like ATC's AOW, except mine wasn't made by Harbor Freight. :wink:

I haven't patterned it, never cared to, the most I did to pattern test it was shoot a target to see if I could hit it at all.

It is only a toy for me.
Wakko
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wakko »

There's mine...still in NFA limbo
Heroes never die.
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

Wakko wrote:Image

There's mine...still in NFA limbo

What make is that one? How long is the barrel?
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
Wakko
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wakko »

8.5" according to the paperwork, American Manufacturing "Savior" on an 870 (obviously). We did a group buy about a year and a half ago and it went a bit sideways. Next time I'll pay retail for something in stock. I'd have had it a year ago and been bored already.
Heroes never die.