Suppressors on carbon fibers barrels?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

BlakeJ
Silent But Deadly

Suppressors on carbon fibers barrels?

Post by BlakeJ »

Does anyone know if its possible to use a can on a carbon fiber barrel? I want to build a 300 wm with a carbon barrel, and it would be nice to have a removable muzzle brake that I could take off and hang a can on the end.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: Suppressors on carbon fibers barrels?

Post by chrismartin »

Carbon Fiber barrels are really just carbon fiber sleeves. There still has to be a steel bore.

Here is an example of a carbon fiber tensioned barrel with a threaded muzzle:

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/view ... ategory=26

Now, this one is for the Ruger 10/22 in 22lr. However, it gives you an idea of what you should look for in your 300WM barrel.
BlakeJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlakeJ »

Right, I understand how there's a sleeve in there, but what I'm wondering is if it'll be strong enough to hold the suppressor, take any vibrations, etc. Plus are they titanium sleeves? Would ere be any problems with messing up those threads?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

BlakeJ wrote:Right, I understand how there's a sleeve in there, but what I'm wondering is if it'll be strong enough to hold the suppressor, take any vibrations, etc. Plus are they titanium sleeves? Would ere be any problems with messing up those threads?
Yes, technically they are more rigid than regular barrels!

You won't mess up the threads on those barrels.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

Yes, there were several guys at the sniper hide this year shooting cans on carbon fiber barrels.

I was shooting with Greg from Proof Research and they make very nice carbon wrapped barrels.

http://proofresearch.com/heres-proof/

Watch the second video. They take the barrel off and beat a cinder block to death with the barrel, then shoot it right after with no problems.

Carbon wrapped barrels are very strong and light. Best of both worlds.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe