Best 300 BLK SBR barrel length? 8", 9" , 10"?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

wacki
Silent But Deadly

Best 300 BLK SBR barrel length? 8", 9" , 10"?

Post by wacki »

What's your favorite bbl length for 300 blackout suppressed? I'm mostly interested in SBR use. And most importantly why is it your favorite length?

Noveske has 8.2" and 10.2" and longer
AAC has 9" and 12.5".
Liberty Leonidas uses 9" bbl

It's been two years since the thread below so I'd figure I'd ask for an update.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum3/view ... =2&t=80578

rjacobs
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Best 300 BLK SBR barrel length? 8", 9" , 10"?

Post by rjacobs »

As short as you can. IMO you dont gain much between the various shorties.

What are you planning to shoot the majority of? Supers or subs? For supers you will obviously gain in the longer barrels, in subs, it dont matter because you are going to just download them to keep them subsonic depending on barrel length i.e. 1050 is 1050 through a 8.2 or a 16" you just have to vary your powder charge.

I believe I read that AAC settled on the 9" because when paired with the 762SDN-6 can it comes out equal to a 16" gun.

If you like Noveske products and how their uppers are setup get the 8.2. If you like AAC products and how their uppers are setup, get the AAC. They are both top quality.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

300 BLK has complete powder burn in a 9" barrel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xur1yshd5U

Don't know about the 8.2" length though. And I prefer whole numbers. What's up with fractional lengths anyway??

Besides, I'll stick with the guys who actually developed and standardized the ammo itself.
KSmoker

Post by KSmoker »

8.2 or 9 are ideal. I went with the old Noveske 8". With the SDN-6 it's still compact enough I use it from a tree stand for Deer. Accuracy at 100yard is 1" using a 4moa T1 so I don't see that hurting it any either. Velocities are down just a bit from 16" book values but nothing like you'd get cutting down a 223 to 8". I have a 10.5 556 and with the suppressor attached I don't like the balance NEAR as much as my 8" 300BO.

BTW, the fractional lengths are so they clear standard length handguards. I have the original 8" Noveske barrel with a 7" Centurian Arms C4 rail and my suppressor would NOT fit originally. I had to shim out the mount a good amount and it's still damn close. I'd gladly take .2" of clearance.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

8 to 9"
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
gunningbadger
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunningbadger »

I'd agree with the above. I went with 8.5 from rainier.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

I've been thinking of getting one but don't even know where to begin.....much less what size I want/need. Does anybody ever have those in stock or is pretty much everything something that you have to backorder?
I've gotta stop this habit.
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

gunningbadger wrote:I'd agree with the above. I went with 8.5 from rainier.
Which series Rainier barrel? How does it shoot? I was holding out for an 8.2" from Noveske but I may order one of those Rainier barrels since they are in stock.
gunningbadger
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunningbadger »

samson7x wrote:
Which series Rainier barrel? How does it shoot? I was holding out for an 8.2" from Noveske but I may order one of those Rainier barrels since they are in stock.
That's the same boat I was in. I just went with the 8.5 match. I haven't shot it yet but I'll post up a review when I do.
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

gunningbadger wrote:
samson7x wrote:
That's the same boat I was in. I just went with the 8.5 match. I haven't shot it yet but I'll post up a review when I do.

Please do. I'm interested in your findings, thanks.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

rimshaker wrote:300 BLK has complete powder burn in a 9" barrel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xur1yshd5U

Don't know about the 8.2" length though. And I prefer whole numbers. What's up with fractional lengths anyway??

Besides, I'll stick with the guys who actually developed and standardized the ammo itself.
A 9" barrel will give you a larger gap between the can and hand guard, Noveski builds for function and looks.
The combo 8.2 barrel and a carbine hand guard will allow a QD can to fit and look almost like the can is part of the hand guard.
The 10.2 barrel with a mid length hand guard looks good too.
Stealthy look
And if you didn't know aac just reinvented the 300 whisper wheel and made it sami then it put it in the main stream
unlike the person that invented it and kept it as a wildcat.
I have had both since they were first made and they both use the same barrels, gas ports, bolts ect ect
Hint Hint
The pistol gas port is more problem less with most all lengths of barrels and not as picky with ammo,
this is one of the reasons Noveski went to only pistol ports.
Liberty Suppressors
Silent Operator

Post by Liberty Suppressors »

We use the Noveske 8.2" barrels for our Leonidas and all the barrels that we get from customers that are not Noveske get cut down to the 8.2 as well. This is the perfect size for what we use it for.
Justin
Liberty Suppressors
"You have the right to remain SILENT"
www.Libertycans.net
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

redtazdog wrote:
rimshaker wrote:300 BLK has complete powder burn in a 9" barrel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xur1yshd5U

A 9" barrel will give you a larger gap between the can and hand guard, Noveski builds for function and looks.
The combo 8.2 barrel and a carbine hand guard will allow a QD can to fit and look almost like the can is part of the hand guard.
Stealthy look
And if you didn't know aac just reinvented the 300 whisper wheel and made it sami then it put it in the main stream
I have had both since they were first made and they both use the same barrels, gas ports, bolts ect ect
Hint Hint
The pistol gas port is more problem less with most all lengths of barrels and not as picky with ammo,

I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a shorty 300 blk and was looking at the Noveske. Everything I see is on backorder......anybody know what the typical wait time is to get one?

Thanks
everyusernametaken
Senior Silent Operator

Post by everyusernametaken »

OJB4 wrote:
redtazdog wrote:

Stealthy look
Hint Hint

I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a shorty 300 blk and was looking at the Noveske. Everything I see is on backorder......anybody know what the typical wait time is to get one?

Thanks
AAC 9" 300 uppers are in stock at Brownells among other places. I can't see why Noveske would be preferable to an AAC upper for this application. The AAC uses a KAC URX3 rail, which meets an SDN6 or similar can nice and close. The AAC is very well-built.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

Thanks for the info!

I'm new to this but I want to get this straight......I can buy a 9" 300 BLK upper with the click of a mouse but before I put it on my Daniel Defense lower I fill out the Form 4 for an SBR? OR do I have to do the Form 4 before I purchase the item from Bownells?

Thanks
telero
Silent But Deadly

Post by telero »

Form 1 for the lower. If you need to get the upper now because it's available or inexpensive, buy it but store it somewhere else (a friend without guns or without an AR lower). You just don't want the upper and lower to be close enough for "constructive possession"
gunningbadger
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunningbadger »

OJB4 wrote:Thanks for the info!

I'm new to this but I want to get this straight......I can buy a 9" 300 BLK upper with the click of a mouse but before I put it on my Daniel Defense lower I fill out the Form 4 for an SBR? OR do I have to do the Form 4 before I purchase the item from Bownells?

Thanks

Or put it together as a pistol and wait for the stamp to change buffer tubes and add a stock.
telero
Silent But Deadly

Post by telero »

gunningbadger wrote:Or put it together as a pistol and wait for the stamp to change buffer tubes and add a stock.
Unless it's already been built as a rifle previously. Otherwise, yes, good alternative.