If you started over which reloading set up?

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

gunningbadger
Silent But Deadly

If you started over which reloading set up?

Post by gunningbadger »

I'm in the long wait for my 30 cal can and want to stockpile some 300 blk subs and some 308. I figure it's finally time to start reloading. I'll probably do my own 9mm subs as well. My question is if you seasoned reloaders started again what would you go with? I like the hornady case prep center for its easy of use for trimming and chamfering but idk which press to go with and what accessories are most haves (besides the usual scales, calipers and such)

Any input is appreciated. This is a new area for me.
gunningbadger
Silent But Deadly

Re: If you started over which reloading set up?

Post by gunningbadger »

Well s--t. I saw the post below explaining mostly what I wanted to know. So how does this sound for a set up?

1) rock chucker to size and deprime
2) tumbler of some sort to clean
3) case prep center to trim then chamfer
4) dillon progressive for the loading. Still not sure what all needs to go with it.
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

long time reloader

Your 4 points are excellent, except... :wink:

1. I would rather have the new design RCBS Summit single stage press over the RCBS Rockchucker. By design, it will result in rifle ammo with less runout than the Rockchucker and that's why RCBS developed it as their premium single stage press (uses Forster Co-ax design principles). The Summit takes up less room to operate also and has long and short operating handles (a plus). The operating handle can also be set up quickly for either RH or LH operation. The Summit also has movement space to use with rifle ammo of all size cases and COL. Net result: the Summit is a design improvement over the Rockchucker.

2. I don't use a tumbler (old school) anymore at all, and instead only use an ultrasonic. It's faster and cleans more thoroughly. The Hornady One Shot Sonic Cleaner solution is actually better than the proven home solution of 50% water, 50% white vinegar and a dash of liquid dish soap (cleans extremely well but dulls cases). The Hornady Sonic Cleaner gives some case polish in an ultrasonic cleaner--good results.

3 & 4 no change

I would also add a #5 if the person is at all computer capable, which is to purchase the Quickload program over acquiring printed loading manuals (maybe purchase later for a new reloader if trying to get started on a tight budget). Quickload allows a person to simulate different loads quickly, and shows other possible powders that will work too. If one is inclined to minimize muzzle flash in pistol loads, then using Quickload to simulate a load with as close to 100% burn in the barrel quickly gives you a list of suitable powders with desired velocities. More advanced, there is also a way to use Quickload to help determine rifle ammo accuracy nodes, saving considerable trial and error time and money. Besides, a savvy person can download online loading manuals from many powder makers, bullet manufacturers, etc., for free. All that said, perhaps having one printed loading manual to use alongside Quickload is also a good choice (but I seldom look at the printed reloading manual myself).

Also, maybe a #6 which is a chronograph (may purchase later for a new reloader trying to get started on a tight budget). For reloaders copying loads from others, you don't know what you have until you can measure velocities and get the SD. There are plenty of good chronographs for around the $100 area. I've used a ProChrono for over 12 years and it's worked very well for me, and the ProChrono price is about the same today as when I bought it 12 years ago (but there are other good choices too).
Last edited by johndoe3 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
gunningbadger
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunningbadger »

I very much appreciate the input! Do you run each of your cartridges through a gauge after sizing and completing a round to ensure its within spec? Any other important quality controls besides measuring COL and case length? Do you weigh each when done to ensure no squibs or double charge?

And after more research I think the dillon 550b would be a good first press. Thoughts?
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

And after more research I think the dillon 550b would be a good first press. Thoughts?
There are other guys here with more experience than me on the many turret and progressive presses, so I'll defer to them on this issue.
I very much appreciate the input! Do you run each of your cartridges through a gauge after sizing and completing a round to ensure its within spec? Any other important quality controls besides measuring COL and case length? Do you weigh each when done to ensure no squibs or double charge?
These questions are completely different for loading rifle ammo and loading pistol ammo.

For rifle ammo, I would be somewhat lost without my Hornady Lock-n-Load Overall Length Gage system. I use the curved one because I have lever action, semi-auto and bolt action rifles and it works on all 3. The straight version works with bolt actions, but not with lever action and semi-auto. This system allows me to check overall length with calipers to ensure the ammo fits in the magazines, and more important to me, to measure: ogive length to the lands, and then accurately calculate jump length from the ogive to the lands and "Ogive length" of the loaded ammo to achieve consistency and best accuracy for the ammo. A new reloader on a budget may defer this and just measure for OAL with rifle ammo so that the ammo fits in the magazines.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/479963 ... ver-action

For pistol ammo, COL measurement is fine. Lots of people get by without any case gages at all, so it is optional. Or, others will take the barrel out of their pistol and use it while reloading to spot check occasional rounds reloaded to ensure they drop freely into the chamber. I have the EGW 7-hole case gages for 9mm and 45 ACP, and it allows me quickly to size check the loaded ammo 7 cartridges at a time and dump them out. Besides, the 7 hole EGW case gage is around the same price as the single case gage from Wilson and Lyman, etc.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/575127 ... age-45-acp
Last edited by johndoe3 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Forster co ax single stage and dillon 650 or 1050 for the win.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

The 550 will work just fine...
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

gunningbadger wrote:Well s--t. I saw the post below explaining mostly what I wanted to know. So how does this sound for a set up?

1) rock chucker to size and deprime
2) tumbler of some sort to clean
3) case prep center to trim then chamfer
4) dillon progressive for the loading. Still not sure what all needs to go with it.
Skip step 1. Clean the pistol cases, spray lube them, deprime & size in station 1 of your Dillon 650 or Hornady LnL AP (your choice), and continue. Brief tumble to clean lube off the cases. Case gauge and pack them up.

For rifle cases, tumble them clean, lube, resize/deprime in the progressive, clean the lube off, trim in your case prep set up. You can deprime/resize faster in a case-fed progressive than in a single stage.Then prime & load on the progressive.

OR

For rifle cases, tumble them clean, lube with real case lube (not spray), resize/deprime, trim in Dillon 1200, run thru a backed off die with expander ball. Chamfer, it may be easier to clean the lube before chamfering. Load. Clean lube off cases if needed, then case gauge.

I would skip the 550 unless only doing rifles. I would get the RCBS Summit if rifle precision is the primary goal. For blasting and 3 gun type work, the progressive is fine.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Why are you lubing pistol cases? Why skip the 550 unless your doing rifles? The 550 works great on pistol rounds also.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

dtom29 wrote:Why are you lubing pistol cases?
Why are you asking dumb questions?

Easier to pull the handle. Yes, I have carbide dies. No, I am not a 95 lb weakling.
dtom29 wrote:Why skip the 550 unless your doing rifles? The 550 works great on pistol rounds also.
Manual index. 4 Stations, so no powder check. All of the double charge KaBooms I've seen in matches and many of the squibs were from attention boo-boos on 550s. Cranking out pistol loads, it's just better in a 650 or an LnL AP with a case feeder, powder check and auto index.

Rifle rounds are bit slower, so auto index is less important for speed. You can use the 550 as a "turret" if trying for more accuracy in rifle loads.

Satisfied?
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Is there a reason that people tumble-or-ultrasound used brass BEFORE de-priming? Especially on a single-stage, why not deprime first in the hopes of cleaning primer pockets? I feel like there is something I'm missing... maybe just to avoid unnecessarily fouling of the press?

Also, I was watching a video on Youtube of a man instructing on how to reload 50ae using a single stage, 3-turret press. He says that a 4-stage would be better for that particular task, since he also has a crimping die. My question is this: whenever I do a search for 50ae reloading dies, they only come in sets of three. So his crimping die... is that a 'universal crimping die' or something like that? Is it perhaps a more customized piece or something?

Last question, is there a reason to acquire a 5, 6, or 7 turret press as opposed to a 4? What are the advantages of this? Is it just to avoid adding-and-removing dies when alternating between two calibers?
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

TROOPER wrote:Is there a reason that people tumble-or-ultrasound used brass BEFORE de-priming? Especially on a single-stage, why not deprime first in the hopes of cleaning primer pockets? I feel like there is something I'm missing... maybe just to avoid unnecessarily fouling of the press?
Scratch dies, foul press, clear cases of foreign matter, or jam a case are the usual reasons.
TROOPER wrote:Also, I was watching a video on Youtube of a man instructing on how to reload 50ae using a single stage, 3-turret press. He says that a 4-stage would be better for that particular task, since he also has a crimping die. My question is this: whenever I do a search for 50ae reloading dies, they only come in sets of three. So his crimping die... is that a 'universal crimping die' or something like that? Is it perhaps a more customized piece or something?
I don't do .50 AE, so I have no opinion. The RCBS is a combined seater & taper crimp die. I read of guys who use 2 of the RCBS dies, one to seat and the other to crimp.
TROOPER wrote:Last question, is there a reason to acquire a 5, 6, or 7 turret press as opposed to a 4? What are the advantages of this? Is it just to avoid adding-and-removing dies when alternating between two calibers?
I can see turrets with 6 stations: 1.decap/size, 2. expand, 3. Powder, 4. powder check, 5. seat, 6. crimp. i suppose you could run 2 calibers on one press by combining expand/powder and seating/crimping
Thomas Jefferson

srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

A powder check die in a turret press is just silly IMO.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

srt-4_uk wrote:A powder check die in a turret press is just silly IMO.
Maybe. The silliness of it all may depend upon how much you load n shoot. Mistakes are going to happen.

I've seen a few squibs from guys who load single stage and "Check each and every case with their own Mk 1 Mod 0 eyeballs". They are shocked that they made a mistake and missed one.
Thomas Jefferson

jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

I have the 550b and I'd just go with the 650, more head options. I would like to have powder check
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I think I might've discovered the answer to this:
Also, I was watching a video on Youtube of a man instructing on how to reload 50ae using a single stage, 3-turret press. He says that a 4-stage would be better for that particular task, since he also has a crimping die. My question is this: whenever I do a search for 50ae reloading dies, they only come in sets of three. So his crimping die... is that a 'universal crimping die' or something like that? Is it perhaps a more customized piece or something?
There are three dies that come for 50ae, and I think the man in the video that was using four had a depriming die. Is it possible that the depriming die is universal, or near-universal and so it doesn't come with the set? That would make the set of three a "beller"-and-filler, a seater, and a crimper... with that man in the video having a fourth to deprime, right? In which case, his three-headed-turret single-stage was to ... deprime... "bell"... bullet-seat .... crimp.

I only ask these questions because I've never even seen a reloading press in person, so my knowledge is limited. I am very much interested in starting since I do now own a 50ae chambered Desert Eagle. I also own an RFB, and have been saving my brass for some time now, for the occasion that I do purchase the equipment. It seems I picked the wrong time to get started as the general ammunition shortage seems to have spilled into reloading as well.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Have been doing the handloading thing for more than 40 years.

First press was a Lyman All American Turret press that proved to be too flexible when doing rifle cases. Second press I bought was a Rockchucker ... and it has been in use almost 40 years.

I do have progressives ... a Dillon 550B, a 1050, and a MEC 650 12 ga press. And a Corbin swaging press too. Have junked a couple of others along the way.

Is not a bad idea to moderate the initial investment and see if you do enough to make a more significant investment worthwhile. A very good single stage press like the Rockchucker is a great first investment that will probably outlast you. (Is only slightly awkward with the largest of cases ... like the 470 NE.)
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Ben B. wrote:

Easier to pull the handle. Yes, I have carbide dies. No, I am not a 95 lb weakling.
dtom29 wrote:Why skip the 550 unless your doing rifles? The 550 works great on pistol rounds also.
Manual index. 4 Stations, so no powder check. All of the double charge KaBooms I've seen in matches and many of the squibs were from attention boo-boos on 550s. Cranking out pistol loads, it's just better in a 650 or an LnL AP with a case feeder, powder check and auto index.

Rifle rounds are bit slower, so auto index is less important for speed. You can use the 550 as a "turret" if trying for more accuracy in rifle loads.

Satisfied?
LOL, lubing pistol cases with carbide dies....LOL. Lets take a poll, all those that lube stright wall pistol cases and use carbide dies raise your hands.....I personally thought it was pretty fucking stupid but I thought I'd politely ask in case there was something that I had missed in the last 30+ years that I have been loading .38, 9mm. 45, 380. Now that I've discovered you're just a redundant ass I won't ask anymore "dumb questions".
Never used a powder check..other than looking into the case as I bring it around...never had a problem, even with the 10's of thousands of rounds I've run full auto.
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

I lube straight walled pistol cases with carbide dies. it's much easier to pull the handle. I've reloaded about 20k rounds and still on my first bottle of lube. why do more work than you have to?
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

I use a Forster CO-AX for all my large rifle and a Dillon XL650 for everything else. I also use the RCBS bench mount priming system.
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

Ben B. wrote:

I don't think it's a dumb question, but I do lube my pistol cases. I've done it both ways and it makes a big difference in effort required.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

gunguy wrote:I use a Forster CO-AX for all my large rifle and a Dillon XL650 for everything else. I also use the RCBS bench mount priming system.
Amazing how many people have never heard of the co ax. By far best single stage press out.
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

66427vette wrote:
gunguy wrote:I use a Forster CO-AX for all my large rifle and a Dillon XL650 for everything else. I also use the RCBS bench mount priming system.
Amazing how many people have never heard of the co ax. By far best single stage press out.
I agree, sure its a little more money than the other single stage presses out there but there's a reason.
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER