What's your favorite AR can and why?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

wacki
Silent But Deadly

What's your favorite AR can and why?

Post by wacki »

What do you shoot with most often? And why?
What would be the hardest for you to part with? And why?

(these can be different cans)

This is limited to AR pattern rifles and not just the 5.56 round.
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Re: What's your favorite AR can and why?

Post by dan9591 »

My 10.5" PWS wears a 5.56 YHM titanium phantom. 12oz of awesome. I actually like it better than the new Saker I just bought.

My 11.5" DI Colt wears an OPS Inc. M4-S. In my opinion, not really a suppressor... more of a concussion diffuser. But for it's weight and length, it does exactly what I want it to do; decreases concussion in an indoors HD type scenarion enough to still allow me to hear what is going on around me.

If I had to do it all over again, I would buy the exact same cans for these roles. In fact, if I could find a local dealer that had the YHM titanium in stock, I would buy another for my 7.5" PWS...
[email protected]
Silent But Deadly

Post by [email protected] »

dan9591 wrote:My 10.5" PWS wears a 5.56 YHM titanium phantom. 12oz of awesome. I actually like it better than the new Saker I just bought....
Why do you favor the YHM over the Saker?
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

I put a few Colt 6920's away for a rainy day.....because they are Colts.
For my shooters I have a couple MRP's with 12.5 barrels.
Both have Gemtech Halo's.
I'm not too concerned with weight....my center mass is just above my
insulated six-pack, so I balance out nicely with a heavy stick :lol:
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

[email protected] wrote:
dan9591 wrote:My 10.5" PWS wears a 5.56 YHM titanium phantom. 12oz of awesome. I actually like it better than the new Saker I just bought....
Why do you favor the YHM over the Saker?
If there is a sound difference, I can't tell. If they are that close, then the lighter can wins. The saker is 20oz vs 12oz for the yhm. This is for the titanium yhm.

Again, just my opinion. Ymmv...

Also, I don't really move my cans around, so even if its cool, the perceived usefulness of the saker's multiple mounting options are not necessary for me. Plus, have you seen how the mount changes? Not exactly a fast process that can be easily done in the field or range...
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

I only own the Ranger 2, but I've found I like it best out of all the cans I've shot with for the same reason Dan mentions: it's lighter. A 15oz can on a lightweight 16" barrel does not feel heavy, and it being all stainless and inconel gives me peace of mind. A non-Ti QA can on a 'government' profile 16" feels heavy.

The only thing I don't like about the Ranger 2 is that I still get a 2-3" fireball with it at night.

I was scared away from the rifle cans incorprating Ti because I feared shorter life and the blowing sparks thing that RetreatHell experienced in his youtube vid. Any issues with the Ti cans so far?
everyusernametaken
Senior Silent Operator

Post by everyusernametaken »

The Saker's mounting module isn't really intended to be constantly swapped out. Certainly not at the range every time you want to move it to a different host. The fact that it can be changed at all is remarkable, though, as no other rifle suppressor has this capability. You're less "locked in" to one vendor's mounts than with any other product currently on the market.

The Saker mount is an ingenious design. It has the three blades you see in pictures, which close down around the flash hider to secure it laterally, but then it also draws those blades up towards the body as you turn it, which pulls the bearing surface of the mount module down against the mating surface on the flash hider. It has, by a huge margin, the largest bearing surface of any QA mount on the market. This is why the Saker mount is so rock solid, and I believe this to be the best geometric solution out there right now.

The Saker is also among the most robust rifle cans. It is seriously built like a brick shithouse, and the Stellite baffles are certainly the most durable material application currently in use. Add to that the reverse-angle blast baffle (this is the "hoplon" thing they talk about), and I seriously doubt any other rifle suppressor baffle stack can be considered more "advanced" or more durable.

I'm in no way a fanboy of any particular brand. As an engineer, I'm extremely impressed by the Saker. I hate marketing BS, especially when the manufacturer bombards us with cryptic terminology without providing any pertinent details about their products, so I find it refreshing to see Silencerco being so up-front and willing to answer technical questions about the Saker. That alone tells you a lot.
joshua_

Post by joshua_ »

My favorite 5.56 can is the Saker for many of the same reasons that everyusernametaken listed.

I think the end cap is also a bonus. Not something to make or break a deal, but a bonus. Easy to swap if damaged and it will be easy to put on a 'compliance' type end cap if/when needed.

[In addition to what everyusernametaken said about the mount] I believe the mount is good to go, but another bonus is that we may be able to swap to a different mount if they find an even better option in the future. If the MAAD mount were to have a problem then it alone could be shipped off (as opposed to the entire can) or replaced. The mount is impressive and so far that impressiveness is holding up in actual use. It is fast, repeatable, and makes a very good seal that doesn't get locked up. It's also nice for anyone who wants to have the can down inside the rail a little. I used that benefit on my 10.5" bbl by installing a 10" Seekins MCSR v2 rail.

Basically, the Saker is a solid performer, mounts well, and is able to accept possible future changes.

(Oh, and it's a good suppressor) :D

I decided to go the route of having 30 cal and 5.56 cans. I can see the appeal for some folks to stick with 30 cal and use them on 5.56, etc. That choice makes good sense. I am happy to have a 5.56 can and that is the caliber I use the most so it makes sense for me.