Liberty Triumph QA or Silencerco Saker?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

wacki
Silent But Deadly

Liberty Triumph QA or Silencerco Saker?

Post by wacki »

The Triumph QA (quick attach) will be out next year.

Which 5.56 can would you rather have?

Saker or Triumph QA?

I know it's a little early to have this debate without final specs but I'm considering a saker purchase and I don't want to buy both.
John4045
Silent Operator

Re: Liberty Triumph QA or Silencerco Saker?

Post by John4045 »

Get the best available can that is in-stock right now.

If you play the waiting game, there's always going to be a bigger, faster, better suppressor around the corner. In the suppressor world, next year might mean Summer 2015. You're already going to wait ~9 months, so theoretically you won't see your Liberty can until early Summer 2015 if everything goes according to plan.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Normally I'd agree, but I already have a thread mount 5.56 can.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

LOL. How is this even a question!? Saker, hands down.

The only can I'd consider above a Saker right now is the Surefire Socom series. Even if it was someone else's money I'd skip almost everything else out there right now for one reason or another. For the most part, plan on buying the best mounting system you can!

It would be better if the Saker had a 762 option which is obviously coming, but with waits coming up to one year right now even if they release tomorrow, it still wouldn't be in your hands until 2015. Ain't that some sobering s--t!?

So, unless you're into SF (retail pricing scheme is a little off) or maybe Specwar series (if you absolutely must try and save money), Saker is your best option for price/performance/options available right now.
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

Saker.

My decision was between Saker and Specwar and I went with the Specwar because my dealer had the saker priced at $875 with no mount.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

este wrote:LOL. How is this even a question!?
Ever shot skeet with a trap gun? It sucks. And that's only a few inches of barrel in difference. The weight difference between Triumph and Saker is much larger.

If we are talking precision shooting then MAAD mount wins. If we are talking CQB or urban combat where you swing the barrel, then the Triumphs weight advantage can not be ignored.

Sucks that you can't see these in person before you buy.
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

I would choose the saker.....because there is no triumph qa
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

wacki wrote:
este wrote:LOL. How is this even a question!?
Ever shot skeet with a trap gun? It sucks. And that's only a few inches of barrel in difference. The weight difference between Triumph and Saker is much larger.
Listen... You're over thinking the supposed advantages of a few ounces. I stick with there is no question even if there was a Triumph QA (which I wouldn't even sort of lump in the same QD/QA category of the Saker/SF, there is no gas seal I can see on Liberty QA, there is no serious means of retention past tiny little ball detents, and while it's nice can run different muzzle devices, I suspect a battlecomp or triple-tap like break would not be warrantied) how could this be compared to the Saker?

Look, having been there. I'd tell you if a couple oz are truly important, get a thread-on 556 can like a Ranger2 (Ranger3 if AAC wasn't so against selling new products!), tune the gas system for it, and rockset it on as a dedicated can.

You have to pay somewhere. If you want versatility, strength, brake/flash hider options, a silencer that doesn't require a specific profile barrel or reflex like room behind the barrel, you're going to have a couple more oz in weight.

Do whatever you like. You have one great option and one I can't possibly see as being in the same league. Everyone here has told you the same thing.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

este wrote:Listen... You're over thinking the supposed advantages of a few ounces.
Possibly, sucks when you can't hold it in your hand. So my only reference is skeet/trap.
este wrote:there is no gas seal I can see on Liberty QA,
But their cans still meter well. So why should I care?
este wrote:while it's nice can run different muzzle devices, I suspect a battlecomp or triple-tap like break would not be warrantied) how could this be compared to the Saker?
Given it's weight, I consider it a different animal that competes in a different niche. 6 oz seems (correctly or incorrectly) like a big deal to me. Running different muzzle devices also seems like a big deal as well. Inexpensive, sacrificial baffles is a BIG deal to me. I wish the Saker had that feature.

get a thread-on 556 can like a Ranger2 (Ranger3 if AAC wasn't so against selling new products!), tune the gas system for it, and rockset it on as a dedicated can.
I considered a Ranger 3. They weight the same so it's a suppression vs length question. The ranger is loud but short. The Triumph is quiet but long. If I was a LEO storming houses the Ranger 3 wins. If I'm plinking (likely) or shooting anywhere other than tight hallways then the Triumph wins. Then again rockset cans are supposed to be bad because of condensation issues.
Everyone here has told you the same thing.
Ya, I know. I'm strongly leaning Saker right now. It's available now and I can push the Form 4 through before the comment period ends. Thanks for the feedback.
Last edited by wacki on Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I also vote Saker. I went with the Specwar myself though, even though my dealer had them both in stock.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

The weight difference alone would(and is) the deal breaker on the Saker. I like the guys at Silencerco, I like the Mount, but the Saker is just too heavy. I also won't buy a 5.56 can...light weight .30 only. I personally have no need of a QD can anyway...if it weighs more than 15 oz I'm not interested. If you "need" QD then I'd look elsewhere. I wouldn't wait a year on the Liberty and I wouldn't get a heavy silencer.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

wacki wrote: The ranger is loud but short. The Triumph is quiet but long.
See, there is your issue. You don't realize ALL of these cans are loud on ARs. They ARE NOT hearing safe. The shooters ear will be at or over 140 for each and every shot.

Look up MM's test of the Mini4 that is quieter at ear than the larger AAC cans. Less back-pressure, less pop at the ejection port, less cyclic rate and impulse. It's louder at the muzzle, and if you shoot your guns near the muzzle, that might be an interesting number, but I shoot mine from the opposite end.

I'd put $20 down that you would not practically notice a difference between a Ranger2 and a Liberty can as the shooter. You won't. You can't. The only time you'd notice it is as an observer, and even then, all the cans are close.

Sound is probably the second least important factor only above cost which is the absolute least. Mount is the most important thing for a rifle can. You're going to be stuck with that mount FOREVER, make sure it's a good one.

ALso, I'm pretty certain Silenceco has said they have a break mount coming.