jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

wacki
Silent But Deadly

Re: jesse james new can, 10db quieter than the best?

Post by wacki »

Bendersquint wrote:
wacki wrote:
Well I appreciate you explaining your point of view. I will try to be more precise in my writing in the future. I just bought

United States Patents (Firearm Suppressor Patents) Paperback by N. R. Parker

so hopefully that will dramatically increase my learning curve.
That will certainly help open some doors to the past for sure. That would be the first of a dozen or so books to read on the subject.

Tons of information to be gleaned just gotta know where to look for it.
\

give me guidance obi-won. I'm willing to spend tuition money to fast track my education.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wacki wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
wacki wrote:
Well I appreciate you explaining your point of view. I will try to be more precise in my writing in the future. I just bought

That will certainly help open some doors to the past for sure. That would be the first of a dozen or so books to read on the subject.

Tons of information to be gleaned just gotta know where to look for it.
\

give me guidance obi-won. I'm willing to spend tuition money to fast track my education.
US Patent office, its free and around 500 silencer related patents, start reading. When you are done with that we can go from there.

NR Parkers book only highlights what he felt the most influential patents were, there are tons that weren't even acknowledged and even more that have been patented since the authoring of that book.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

wacki wrote:Well I appreciate you explaining your point of view. I will try to be more precise in my writing in the future. I just bought

Get your hands on Al Paulson's two volumes (Silencer: History & Performance, Volumes 1 & 2).. Even the "modern" info in them is outdated, but the historical review and photos are informative. Seeing what has been tried and how each developmental leap led to further refinement (many times, straight copying) is cool.

http://www.amazon.com/Silencer-Performa ... 0873649095

http://www.amazon.com/Assault-Rifle-Sni ... gy_b_img_y
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

What ever happen to Al Paulson? I thought he was in the process of writing Volume 3, and that was years ago.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Mongo wrote:
Grounded wrote: Outside is one thing, I thought you wanted internals. I think I have an earlier prototype I can give you a shot of.
Its not carbon fiber tube construction is it? :wink:
My simple 'Southern* Boy' mind is not sure what you mean.

Its seems all Greek to me. :) :)

Mongo rocks, as usual. Well done, Sir.

* South Boston, that is.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

jreinke wrote:What ever happen to Al Paulson? I thought he was in the process of writing Volume 3, and that was years ago.
He was, and maybe still is? I doubt we'll ever see volume 3, which is a shame.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Am I the only person here who has zero desire to become a silencer mfg?

F--k form1s, F--k trying to reinvent the wheel, F--k thinking I can surely do it better or cheaper. I just want to use the damn things.
Last edited by este on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

este wrote:Am I the only person here how has zero desire to become a silencer mfg?

F--k form1s, F--k trying to reinvent the wheel, F--k thinking I can surely do it better or cheaper. I just want to use the damn things.

x1000
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

Bendersquint wrote:
JasonM wrote: I have no idea what you are talking about in terms of how that applies to your ported barrel idea, which has been tried many ways, and is not as efficient as an open tube with baffles.
He's challenging 2 industry professionals that have more experience with cans than about 95% on this board.......wacki must have lost it.

Sigh, oh well. Hope all is well for you up in NOVA.

-Matt
I chalked it up to "whatever" and chose not to respond.
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
Nuclear
Silent Operator

Post by Nuclear »

Not that I think Jesse James is a genius, but the engineer in me says wait until you have an actual example of the suppressor in your hands and test it before you slam it.

Not only is it good manners, but every now and then it keeps egg off your face.

Especially if someone has posted misinformation to throw off competitors.
Loki_stormbringer
Silent Operator

Post by Loki_stormbringer »

Nuclear wrote:Not that I think Jesse James is a genius, but the engineer in me says wait until you have an actual example of the suppressor in your hands and test it before you slam it.

That might be ok if am engineer made something new. When an author claims to engineered cold fusion my bullshit meter breaks.

I know that's a drastic example but you hopefully get my drift.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Nuclear wrote:Not that I think Jesse James is a genius, but the engineer in me says wait until you have an actual example of the suppressor in your hands and test it before you slam it.

There have been cans of similar baffle designs in the past and they all were terrible. Engineer or not its a bad design, the point of a silencer is to contain and slowly release the gases once cooled. Jesse is putting car muffler and manifold technologies into a firearm silencer. It doesn't work.

His shop should be called "Pimp my Gat".
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

Bendersquint wrote:
His shop should be called "Pimp my Gat".

Haha, yes, perfect.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Performance aside it's fugly. Don't need an engineering degree for that one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

wacki wrote:And the hoplon idea? Angles of deflection have been used since the civil war (iron clads) and WWI (Schneider CA1) and became universal in WW2. Yet didn't get applied to suppressors till recently
What about the hoplon baffle?

The fact that the saker doesn't meter as well as the other cans in silencerco's OWN video should tell you the hoplon design (and honestly just as much to do with material selection) is built around addressing an erosion issue with the standard cone as a blast baffle and really only with a flash hider that directs the blast into concentrated streams on short barrels.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

este wrote:Am I the only person here who has zero desire to become a silencer mfg?

For some of us Form 1ers it's not about trying to make "better" silencers. It's more about the "ride" and how you get there, than the destination. As I've said before: When I was a child I built snap together models, then glue together, then model rockets. As a teenager I got into hot rods. Now, I build silencers. It's not about making a better mousetrap, it's just a hobby. For my latest silencer endeavors, I'm jumping into the titanium game. Why? Because I haven't done it yet.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

mpallett wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
JasonM wrote: I have no idea what you are talking about in terms of how that applies to your ported barrel idea, which has been tried many ways, and is not as efficient as an open tube with baffles.
He's challenging 2 industry professionals that have more experience with cans than about 95% on this board.......wacki must have lost it.

Sigh, oh well. Hope all is well for you up in NOVA.

-Matt
I chalked it up to "whatever" and chose not to respond.

Look guys I'm a n00b. I never asserted otherwise.

I'm going to go back and edit all my previous posts as it's clear that no amount of me saying "I was just asking questions and trying to learn" will dig me out of this hole. You would think words like "I don't understand" would be a big impossible to miss hint but I guess not.

I've bought several books so hopefully my n00b-ness will never offend anyone again. (A sincere thank you to JasonM & Bender for the productive recommendations) I got the kindle versions so I can do quick searches too.

And for the record, I have no idea what experience JasonM has but I'm still listening to him.

I'm pretty sure I was supporting Rob Silvers concept of a tight baffle and running (a little too far) with it. So he doesn't/shouldn't count. So basically I have no clue who the 2 industry professionals I was challenging are.

I've beaten this dog to death and I'm bowing out.

Last edited by wacki on Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 11 times in total.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

wacki wrote:And for the record, I have no idea what experience JasonM has but I'm still listening to him.
He's been working with AAC on and off for a number of years.
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

I think we can all agree we need to get back to making fun of this suppressor, because this thing is clown shoes. It's what, like a 1/2 inch thick aluminum tube with some washers? On the plus side, walls that thick might cut down on some noise and maybe get it below 150 or so? Aerosonic technology MotherTrucker!

Stupid, stupid NFA items.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

@wacki If it helps any the help desk here and the goon squad are on in the same entity. Sometimes it depends on what side of the coffee cup you catch them. And FWIW I really was trying to help clarify why comparing ported barrels to baffles doesn't make any sense.
jt526 wrote:I think we can all agree ...
Totally agree ... clown shoes.

But I do have a serious question.

Are the screws holding that cable clamp together considered silencer parts? Would really suck to drop one of those in the grass at the range, I hope they're at least magnetic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

doubloon wrote:

Are the screws holding that cable clamp together considered silencer parts? Would really suck to drop one of those in the grass at the range, I hope they're at least magnetic.
HA! You nailed it. And I think I found the 22lr version, just have to add the Aerosonic (TM) technology.

God I hope I don't get sued for defamation by JJFU. This thing just really rubs me the wrong way. Most likely they'll never be made as a viable commercial product, so at least most people won't have to suffer.
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

I found a photo of the whole line of suppressors:

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Tony M. wrote:I found a photo of the whole line of suppressors:

How'd you get that! :shock:

JJFU is gonna be pissed!
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

doubloon wrote:@wacki If it helps any the help desk here and the goon squad are on in the same entity. Sometimes it depends on what side of the coffee cup you catch them. And FWIW I really was trying to help clarify why comparing ported barrels to baffles doesn't make any sense.
jt526 wrote:I think we can all agree ...
Totally agree ... clown shoes.

+1

Another way to get screwed by the folks who bring you Obama Care Web Site.
I hope that the Jesse can will not lead to a next regulation to have each part of a can etched with your SSN and listed. :)
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

Bendersquint wrote:
Tony M. wrote:I found a photo of the whole line of suppressors:

How'd you get that! :shock:

JJFU is gonna be pissed!
If you think that's something, I also have exclusive internal pics of the next gen can he's already working on.

I believe the next gen 'technology' is code named "Flowmaster-Sonic". It even comes with user serviceable 'never before seen' glass pack technology as an option to really deaden the sound. For the doubters/haters, there will also be available a sound meter that is guaranteed to show the sound signature at 85 decibels or below*.

Here's an info graphic that shows how the universal application will accept any caliber up to 105MM recoilless, and reduce the sound signature to never before thought of levels:

*The sound meter is calibrated by radio shack technicians specifically for the can, and shouldn't be used to measure anything else, including other suppressors, conversation, lighting farts, etc. Repeat, if you use the meter on anything else, you will break the delicate balance of the universe, and all warrantee's will be void, and you're also a dickhead.