Powdercoating cast bullets: no excess lead in suppressors.

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

theTastyCat
Senior Silent Operator

Powdercoating cast bullets: no excess lead in suppressors.

Post by theTastyCat »

Hey all - I've recently become aware of the gradually growing trend of powdercoating bullets. Where this makes a fantastic difference for us is that powdercoated cast bullets won't cause any more buildup in cans than jacketed bullets. In fact, bores end up much cleaner when PC bullets are shot in them.

So - I've recently become quite interested in casting for a bunch of calibers which I never thought I'd care to cast in because I shoot them exclusively suppressed.

Over on castboolits.gunloads.com I happened upon a group buy discussion about a Mihec (best maker that I know of) 9mm mold specifically designed for powdercoating. It seems that he is willing to make molds of different bullet weights, so I'd like a 147-grainer to shoot subsonic 9. He makes great HP molds - I've got a 200-gr. 45 mold that drops HPs free all day. Not sure if he would offer this in HP as well.

Anyway - if you have any interest in being able to cast 147-gr. 9mm now that powdercoating allows cast bullets to be shot through suppressors just like jacketed, jump into this thread and post your interest so we can get a group buy going.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... nt-coating
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Powdercoating cast bullets: no excess lead in suppresso

Post by Bendersquint »

theTastyCat wrote:Hey all - I've recently become aware of the gradually growing trend of powdercoating bullets. Where this makes a fantastic difference for us is that powdercoated cast bullets won't cause any more buildup in cans than jacketed bullets. In fact, bores end up much cleaner when PC bullets are shot in them.

So - I've recently become quite interested in casting for a bunch of calibers which I never thought I'd care to cast in because I shoot them exclusively suppressed.

Over on castboolits.gunloads.com I happened upon a group buy discussion about a Mihec (best maker that I know of) 9mm mold specifically designed for powdercoating. It seems that he is willing to make molds of different bullet weights, so I'd like a 147-grainer to shoot subsonic 9. He makes great HP molds - I've got a 200-gr. 45 mold that drops HPs free all day. Not sure if he would offer this in HP as well.

Anyway - if you have any interest in being able to cast 147-gr. 9mm now that powdercoating allows cast bullets to be shot through suppressors just like jacketed, jump into this thread and post your interest so we can get a group buy going.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... nt-coating
We jailbroke a 9mm can that had been using powder coated cast boolits in it and there was a bit more residue than jacketed leaves behind, different texture as well.
theTastyCat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by theTastyCat »

No kidding. Well you are uniquely qualified to speak to this! Can you say how much more there was?

I never shoot cast lead through my cans because I don't want to drastically shorten their useful lives. That's what makes powdercoating my own cast bullets so attractive; I don't have to rely on bullet availability or pay high jacketed bullet prices to shoot what I want. What's your take on amount of buildup vs. jacketed and vs. cast?

Thanks man - appreciate the wisdom.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Bendersquint, you didn't happen to document this finding (pictures, weight of junk etc)
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Artful wrote:Bendersquint, you didn't happen to document this finding (pictures, weight of junk etc)
We see so many cans come through that we don't generally document anything unless its spectacular....it's also very difficult to collect data points for any research as most shooters have no idea how many rounds they fire through their toys.

I wouldn't have noticed or even thought anything different except the fouling was bright blue!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

theTastyCat wrote:No kidding. Well you are uniquely qualified to speak to this! Can you say how much more there was?

I never shoot cast lead through my cans because I don't want to drastically shorten their useful lives. That's what makes powdercoating my own cast bullets so attractive; I don't have to rely on bullet availability or pay high jacketed bullet prices to shoot what I want. What's your take on amount of buildup vs. jacketed and vs. cast?

Thanks man - appreciate the wisdom.
Order of filth......least to most.

Fully metal jacket enclosed base.
Full metal jacket open base.
Powder coated cast lead boolits.
Proper hardness cast lead boolits.
Rimfire trash lead.

So the powder coating is less buildup than just lead but more than any type of jacket.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Artful wrote:Bendersquint, you didn't happen to document this finding (pictures, weight of junk etc)
Missreading this put some disturbing images of bender straddling a scale in my head. While photographing himself.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wacki wrote:
Missreading this put some disturbing images of bender straddling a scale in my head. While photographing himself.
:lol: