Beretta 71 thread pitch?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

JOHN_E
Senior Silent Operator

Beretta 71 thread pitch?

Post by JOHN_E »

My local dealer will have some Beretta 71 pistols coming in this week. These are allegedly from Israel and are equipped with fake suppressors, the guns are said to be former training pistols of the Mossad.

I’m going to ASSUME the fake suppressors are tack welded on as barrel extensions, don’t think they’d be importable threaded. Does anyone know what thread will be under the fake suppressor once its removed? An internet search is useless.

Pictures from the distributer:

Jt.kline19
Silent But Deadly

Re: Beretta 71 thread pitch?

Post by Jt.kline19 »

I'm interested in one how much are they and how do I get one??
Once a Marine Always a Marine, so why reenlist?
Member of LSU
In Memory of the First Person to Get Me Into Guns, and NFA. RIP Edward R. Kline USAF Retired, August 12, 1953- May 26, 2012
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Whose the distributor?

The Mossad doesn't use fake suppressors for training by the way, and their cans are smaller than the one in your pic.

Nothing about that pistol would require it to be welded for importation. Where did you hear this?
JOHN_E
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JOHN_E »

As I wrote, I ASSUME the fake suppressor would be tacked on.

No idea who the distributer is, but the pistol is Century Arms marked.
JOHN_E
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JOHN_E »

Bendersquint wrote:Whose the distributor?

The Mossad doesn't use fake suppressors for training by the way, and their cans are smaller than the one in your pic.

Nothing about that pistol would require it to be welded for importation. Where did you hear this?
Since you seem to know something about these pistols, what thread will be found under there?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

JOHN_E wrote:Since you seem to know something about these pistols, what thread will be found under there?
Depends on the ACTUAL origin....I have not seen actual MOSSAD firearms EVER sold let alone exported to the US. I am sure there are exceptions and ones that "make their way" to the US.

I have seen 7/16-28, 3/8-24/28, and a metric thread that I can't remember right now. I gotta dig out my notebook and check.

Something to keep in mind is that ANYONE may have threaded the barrels and may not have stuck with any specs but their own.

So who is the distributor for these pistols?
JOHN_E
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JOHN_E »

JOHN_E wrote:No idea who the distributer is, but the pistol is Century Arms marked.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

From Christmas passed. :lol: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11618
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

I saw there's one on GunBroker with a 1/2x28 thread pitch for $1,000. Pretty cool gun, but I'm sure those aren't factory threads, and it isn't from MOSSAD.
bakubes

Post by bakubes »

These Beretta 71's are sweet! The shop I work at just got a number of them in. Great condition.
These are non commercial (non-jaguar).

Our machinist managed to get the fake suppressor off, though it is a pain in the ass.

You'll notice on the fake suppressor there is a weld mark near the barrel.
Our machinist turned down the fake supressor at that point until he reached a set screw, it is short and so sits pretty deep.
He then welded a piece onto the set screw and then was able to unscrew it.

All that was left was to take the fake can off, however they are using red-locktite or something similar.
We had to heat the fake can up with an acetylene torch before it would come off.

And to answer your original question- the thread pitch on these specific beretta 71s is 1/2x20.

I've already got my 1/2x20 to 1/2x28 adaptor on the way :D
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

bakubes wrote:These Beretta 71's are sweet! The shop I work at just got a number of them in. Great condition.
These are non commercial (non-jaguar).

Our machinist managed to get the fake suppressor off, though it is a pain in the ass.

You'll notice on the fake suppressor there is a weld mark near the barrel.
Our machinist turned down the fake supressor at that point until he reached a set screw, it is short and so sits pretty deep.
He then welded a piece onto the set screw and then was able to unscrew it.

All that was left was to take the fake can off, however they are using red-locktite or something similar.
We had to heat the fake can up with an acetylene torch before it would come off.

And to answer your original question- the thread pitch on these specific beretta 71s is 1/2x20.

I've already got my 1/2x20 to 1/2x28 adaptor on the way :D
How much are they going for and where did your shop get them?
bakubes

Post by bakubes »

We got them straight through century, though last I checked they weren't advertised on their website. Our salesman sent us an email a little before they got them in.

Retail, we'll be selling them as is for $479 cash and we'll probably sell them with the fake supressor removed + 1/2x28 adaptor for a markup that is TBD.
JOHN_E
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JOHN_E »

bakubes wrote: And to answer your original question- the thread pitch on these specific beretta 71s is 1/2x20.
Thanks! That's what I was hoping for, something fairly common.

Looks like I was correct when I ASSUMED the fake suppressors would be somehow "permanently" attached.
JOHN_E
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JOHN_E »

Shop received three pistols yesterday and I picked one up, will be attempting to remove fake suppressor myself. 

One of the guns had what appears to be a rack number on the magazine. No unusual markings anywhere on the pistols. 

LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

I have an authentic ex-Mossad 71. It is threaded internally at 3/8" x 24TPI. I've posted many pictures of it before.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
marcus99
Senior Silent Operator

Post by marcus99 »

JOHN_E wrote:Shop received three pistols yesterday and I picked one up, will be attempting to remove fake suppressor myself. 
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Here's mine, FWIW:

"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
plumber576
Silent Operator

Post by plumber576 »

Glad to see you got that fake suppressor off. Can the threads still be used?
JOHN_E
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JOHN_E »

No need to get a gunsmith involved with this, it’s a pretty easy job. File, allen wrenches, tape and a heat gun is all that’s required.

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Can you post a picture of the dent/hole made in the barrel that the set screw was put into?

Still would love to know why they did that to those pistols for no reason at all!
JOHN_E
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JOHN_E »

Photos taken before I cleaned up the threads by running the fake suppressor off and on a few times. 

bakubes

Post by bakubes »

We just got some more of these in... they had old price tags on the base of the magazine. In Israeli Shekels! Cool.

3154tm
Silent Operator

Post by 3154tm »

i've got one of these as well. took it to my smith to have a look at. he says there is just not enough barrel to turn down the 1/2x28 threads for something smaller with a shoulder for an adapter. has anyone here tried to do this?
if possible i'd like to be able to use this style adapter to keep the overall length of the assembly as short as possible. http://www.silencershop.com/shop/yhm-un ... -adapters/
i know some guys have gone directly to an adapter on the existing threads and have had good luck. but with the current waiting period being what it is now i'm afraid to risk a baffle strike or destroy my only .22 can.
3154tm
Silent Operator

Post by 3154tm »

update. got an adaptor from Tactical Inc, took the barrel out of the gun and attached an Outback IID and sighted down it. it looked good so i put it all together on the pistol and ran a few rounds through it. it runs great with no problems with alignment. the extra back pressure seems to help it cycle CCI standard velocity rounds which it hadn't liked before.
LoudasFawk
Silent Operator

Post by LoudasFawk »

J&G has a few of these @ $299.00, I purchased one a couple weeks ago.

http://www.jgsales.com/beretta-71-semi- ... 70878.html