New Octane 9 baffle strike! Input needed.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

AKDOC
Silent Operator

New Octane 9 baffle strike! Input needed.

Post by AKDOC »

So took my new octane to the range today for the first time. Shot it on my block 19 with Lone Wolf stainless threaded barrel. Come home and notice it looks like I got several end cap strikes. Thankfully tube looks fine, one baffle had a small nick too it appears. First I am sure silencerco will take care of everything, I have only great experiences with them as I own several other suppressors of theirs. WIll call them first thing tomorrow. Now the question is I need to figure it out what caused this. My number one concerns is a improperly threaded barrel, the barrel itself looks good but I did notice the can did not stay tight while shooting, I watched it closely and tightened it every 2-3 rounds, could just the can unscrewing cause the strike, or non concentric barrel?, maybe but I really was watching it the entire time, only shot maybe 30 rounds so I know it never backed off more than a 5 degrees at most. I was shooting WWB and american eagle subsonic. Ammo related?
I am sure silencerco will look at the can and make sure everything is ok with it but I also noticed my end cap was loose at the end of shooting maybe from the baffle strike itself or it unscrewed enough to let baffle come out of alignment causing strike. Anyway I'm rambling now. Do you guys think I should just ditch this barrel and buy another? My other lone wolf barrels threaded barrels have been GTG. My other thought was to have it cut down and rethreaded for my glock 26 if that is possible, anybody every try this?
paper9
Silent But Deadly

Re: New Octane 9 baffle strike! Input needed.

Post by paper9 »

For me, 1/2x28 and 13x1 metric both work loose with the Osprey 9 after 2, 3 rounds.
However, no baffle strikes, all handloads. One barrel is Lone Wolf, one is factory Sig.
qballis
Silent Operator

Post by qballis »

Were you using a piston/booster or fixed 1/2x28 adapter?
AKDOC
Silent Operator

Post by AKDOC »

Piston booster 1/2 x 28.
Henry Graham
Industry Professional

Post by Henry Graham »

We will replace the baffle and muzzle cap and check everything over. When you ship the suppressor please include the barrel as well.
Andrew or Josh G. at the main customer service line will get you set up with an RMA number. 801-417-5384
Rugged Suppressors
Travelers Rest SC
ruggedsuppressors.com
AKDOC
Silent Operator

Post by AKDOC »

I will be calling you guys once I get a free minute at work. Thanks so much. I already sent you guys and email. This is why I continue to buy swr/silencerco products. You guys rock!
KSmoker

Post by KSmoker »

Had this happen on my Octane 9 while still in NFA jail during a visitation. Silencerco will take care of you beyond expectations I'm sure. Mine turned out to be an out of spec FACTORY threaded barrel. Went to Storm Lake barrels on all my suppressed pistols. They stay tight for a full mag no problem and when I just break them loose they don't immediately get wobbly like the previous barrels did. I've since bought an Octane 45 too since I like the 9 so much.
AKDOC
Silent Operator

Post by AKDOC »

Yeah I will have my can on the way to them this week. They are more than taking care of me fixing it. Gotta love silencerco. They are going to take a look at the barrel too. Question is if it is indeed the barrel which it probably is I need a new barrel. My other LW 45 barrel has been gtg. I got it from gemntech who state the gauge all their LW barrels. Might get one from them. I was kinda hoping maybe adco can cut my defective barrel and retread it properly for my glock 26 if it's out of spec. Never tried storm lake barrels though. Did it require fitting ?
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

I got lucky and have a LW 34 and 19 barrels that work perfect and shoot real accurate too. My Octane stays as tight as my other cans ( good) the fixed adapters stay real tight on rifles. ( great)

There are tricks to keep the can from coming loose too. ( 1/4 drop blue lock tite or Teflon tape or slight dirtyness :mrgreen: )

For my Octane 45 I took a storm lake 6" 1911 barrel and cut it down to my liking , all these barrel makers make them stick out to much sooooo have the Glock barrel cut shorter/ closer to the slide of your 26 and send the slide with the barrel. You need some clearing for piston so double check. I would cut my LW barrels but the work good as is but hate the gap! Silencerco might thread your barrel , I remember they did Glock 22 kits once.

Yes, you can use a 19 barrel in 26 ( if same gen) but not a 17 on a 19,,,,,,some say the longer 19 barrel works better suppressed in a 26 than a threaded 26 barrel. (Some 26's not as reliable suppressed with short barrel) I haven't bother to try and just use a 22 can with kit on my 26 because I like the bigger grips with big cans.

You can also call LW to have them exchange barrels if its bad.

I must say all the new SWR suppressors superb! This is not SWR's problem.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

Same thing happened to me

It was just my end cap coming loose and it took some hits. Silencerco swapped out my end cap in days. I now use blue loc-tite in-between cleanings. 8)
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Fireman1291 wrote:Same thing happened to me

It was just my end cap coming loose and it took some hits. Silencerco swapped out my end cap in days. I now use blue loc-tite in-between cleanings. 8)
Wow had mine over two years and this never happened rifle to pistol.

I have the original SC tube but the threads on my new Octane 45 UT tub looks cut the same.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
AKDOC
Silent Operator

Post by AKDOC »

I wonder if they could design an endcap with an o-ring like the Spectre ii. That thing is awesome. And endcap stays super tight.