Modern Sionic Clone?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

kingjamez
Senior Silent Operator

Modern Sionic Clone?

Post by kingjamez »

I want to build a LARGE 9mm suppressor. I just picked up two machine guns: a M11-9mm and a MAC-10 9mm and want an "authentic" looking suppressor. I've already got an Osprey and like it a lot, but I want something to compliment the Mac's.

Any thoughts on how you would attack a suppressor the size of an old sionics, but using modern baffle techniques?

-Jim

My Form 1 Monocore build on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH37sv2ySHmB1tTivFYIF8y2CW8rmiZRi
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Re: Modern Sionic Clone?

Post by Dr.K »

Fill it up with either cones, or Ks! :lol:

I'm making a 9mm can right now with K baffles, but you have a lot more volume to work with there, being you want the "look" to be vintage.

Using ultra volume like so, I might would use plain jane cones, and pack'em in it! Should work great, and be easier to make.
Kyle O.
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

Something that huge, I'd HAVE to try my can-in-a-can idea. Think of a 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" tube suppressor (cones, k's, whatever you choose) with 'rings' (some vented, some not, to make chambers fore and aft) to center it in the outer can. Getting into the 2+" diameter that you're looking at for that beast, you could probably use some exotic materials to make it stoopid quiet. Ever hear of foamed metals? :wink:

Neat project, to say the least. Keep us posted with your ideas and how you proceed.

Byrdman
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Large cans are fun to play with. The rules change (I don't have a clue what they are) but they tend to sound a lot better than they meter.

This core was for a shorty 2" 300blk can:

Ended up 3 or 4db louder than a AAC titan with like ~4" less length. Project got shelved never to be seen or "heard" from again. Not to mention it would have infringed on a certain co-axial volume patent :o

Also made some giant cones for it:

IIRC, cones had slightly less FRP but a slightly higher average.
kingjamez
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kingjamez »

Interesting ideas! I'm not sure my little lathe could pull off 2" K's, but it would be fun trying :-)

Byrdman: I'm not quite picturing the can inside a can idea. Have you ever modeled it up?

57fairlane: I like the giant monocore! Wow, that thing is impressive. I could actually make that... I think I'll start modeling down that path first. Thanks!

-Jim
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

I would think an MK9 design using K Baffles would be awesome 8)
That's the route I would go, either way....use K Baffles.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Another thread to follow. I've got a grandfathered open bolt semi Mac-10 in 45 that I've been thinking about doing the same thing with.

I'm hearing a lot of suggestions for K-baffles. Anything wrong with plain 60 degree cones?
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

kingjamez wrote:Interesting ideas! I'm not sure my little lathe could pull off 2" K's, but it would be fun trying :-)

Byrdman: I'm not quite picturing the can inside a can idea. Have you ever modeled it up?

57fairlane: I like the giant monocore! Wow, that thing is impressive. I could actually make that... I think I'll start modeling down that path first. Thanks!

-Jim

The fun part is you get to play with the front snout . . .

The frusto-conical type provided the best suppression for me. Never tried a step/notch or one step past that . . . a vent :shock:
kingjamez
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kingjamez »

MCKNBRD wrote:Something that huge, I'd HAVE to try my can-in-a-can idea. Think of a 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" tube suppressor (cones, k's, whatever you choose) with 'rings' (some vented, some not, to make chambers fore and aft) to center it in the outer can. Getting into the 2+" diameter that you're looking at for that beast, you could probably use some exotic materials to make it stoopid quiet. Ever hear of foamed metals? :wink:

Neat project, to say the least. Keep us posted with your ideas and how you proceed.

Byrdman
I finally pictured what you were talking about.... very interesting idea. I'm going to try and figure out if it's viable to actually build... I like it!

-Jim
kingjamez
Senior Silent Operator

Post by kingjamez »

57fairlane wrote: The fun part is you get to play with the front snout . . .

The frusto-conical type provided the best suppression for me. Never tried a step/notch or one step past that . . . a vent :shock:
You lost me at frusto-conical. Even google didn't explain it very well....

-Jim
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

kingjamez wrote:

-Jim
literally the frustum of a cone . . . similar to a standard cone baffle since we have a bore diameter that defines the minimum the cone can get.

Figuratively, imagine a giant radius
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Just do a coaxial design. Coaxials allow for a LOT of experimentation and optimization of thermodynamics-based architecture.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

kingjamez wrote:
MCKNBRD wrote:Something that huge, I'd HAVE to try my can-in-a-can idea. Think of a 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" tube suppressor (cones, k's, whatever you choose) with 'rings' (some vented, some not, to make chambers fore and aft) to center it in the outer can. Getting into the 2+" diameter that you're looking at for that beast, you could probably use some exotic materials to make it stoopid quiet. Ever hear of foamed metals? :wink:

Byrdman
I finally pictured what you were talking about.... very interesting idea. I'm going to try and figure out if it's viable to actually build... I like it!

-Jim
I'm glad you figured it out, as I don't really have a CAD-style drawing of it, just something I did in powerpoint. The design is VERY viable, and not that hard to make happen, but for a .30 cal can, it would have been prohibitive in size and weight.

For what you're playing with? You're in the sweet spot, size-wise for it, and it would probably be a good setup for that application.

Byrdman
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

57fairlane wrote:Large cans are fun to play with. The rules change (I don't have a clue what they are) but they tend to sound a lot better than they meter.
twodollarbill wrote:I would think an MK9 design using K Baffles would be awesome 8)
That's the route I would go, either way....use K Baffles.
My favorite suppressor of all time.I seen these units with over 100K put through them.They have been built with cone's then K's in later models.
Using a diffuser combined with the coaxial MK-9 will give you the looks with improved life/suppression over the sionics can.
MK-9
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

Capt....Thanks for posting the pic of your MK9.
I have early MK9 & MK9K cans with the early bent washer/spacer setups.
Always wanted to have one recored with K's.
Looks like yours, 1st "K" is stainless and the others are aluminum?
Rear diffuser has larger holes than my units too.
Sweet!!!
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

twodollarbill wrote:Capt....Thanks for posting the pic of your MK9.
I have early MK9 & MK9K cans with the early bent washer/spacer setups.
Always wanted to have one recored with K's.
Looks like yours, 1st "K" is stainless and the others are aluminum?
Rear diffuser has larger holes than my units too.
Sweet!!!
LavaRed wrote:Just do a coaxial design. Coaxials allow for a LOT of experimentation and optimization of thermodynamics-based architecture.
Not my can but I have a 99% probability of making a clone as its my favorite of all time.
The old style cans like the sionics deal with heat and pressure better than the new cans.While shoe eyelets and diffusers have gone the way of the buffalo they did a fine job of lowering heat and pressure to the baffle stack making the stack last a very long time.
I would copy the MK-9 using K's with a oversize diffuser keeping the profile of the sionics.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

kingjamez wrote:

-Jim
curved cones like a bell
NP