9mm can: quiet on 16" but loud on 5" ?????

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

PostalGlock'n

9mm can: quiet on 16" but loud on 5" ?????

Post by PostalGlock'n »

Just got my stamp for my AR SBR. First thing to do is cut my 16" RRA 9mm barrel to 6" and attach my F1 silencer. I have had this can for 2 years now and has worked great on the 16". Car door quiet with 147gr, sonic crack with 115gr.

First shots are a lot louder than I expected. I thought the 16" was probably slowing the 9mm down and now the 6" was letting it creep above the sonic threshold. I cut barrel to 5" and tried again, still loud. 147 and 115 sound about the same.

Any advise? The 147 should be subsonic no matter what length???
jfk
Senior Silent Operator

Re: 9mm can: quiet on 16" but loud on 5" ?????

Post by jfk »

Some 147 grain 9mm ammo can be transonic meaning it has the potential to go faster than the speed of sound. The HK MP5 is a prime example of such gun. The barrel on the HK is almost 9". Some 147 9mm will still crack with a suppressor installed while others will not. I suggest you chrono your SBR and see what speed your rounds are travelling. I'm guessing you're hearing the actual ignition of the round. Your longer barrel had a complete burn by the time the round entered the suppressor. What suppressor and ammo are you using?
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

jfk wrote:Your longer barrel had a complete burn by the time the round entered the suppressor.
Shorter barrel is going to have the bullet moving slower but you will have more incomplete combustion which is why they tend to be louder.
PostalGlock'n

Post by PostalGlock'n »

57fairlane wrote:
jfk wrote:Your longer barrel had a complete burn by the time the round entered the suppressor.
Shorter barrel is going to have the bullet moving slower but you will have more incomplete combustion which is why they tend to be louder.

That was what I was guessing. Damn, I really liked how quiet the gun ran but wanted to have it a short as possible. It is still quieter than a 22LR but you can tell it is a gunshot now.
JFettig
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JFettig »

you have 1/2 the pressure at the muzzle at 16" than you do at 5"
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

I think your reloading bench and a Chrono are going to be your best friends.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I'm guessing your not using K baffles.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
PostalGlock'n

Post by PostalGlock'n »

Capt. Link. wrote:I'm guessing your not using K baffles.
No, M baffles. A no-lathe build.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

twodollarbill wrote:I think your reloading bench and a Chrono are going to be your best friends.
Exactly. The most effective and efficient path to quiet shooting goodness with the hardware at hand is to work up a load (or find a commercial load) that does what you want. Three elements here; the gun, the can and the ammo. Work the ammo angle.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

PostalGlock'n wrote:
Capt. Link. wrote:I'm guessing your not using K baffles.
No, M baffles. A no-lathe build.
Possibly the baffles could be ported to respond to the higher pressure.Often the phenomenon is seen in reverse when K baffles are used and a rifle will be louder than a pistol.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895