Has anyone tried a cone and flat baffle?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

mdfoster

Has anyone tried a cone and flat baffle?

Post by mdfoster »

I was thinking about a design with a cone then a flat baffle and then a spacer. The flat baffle could be profiled similar to the face of a k baffle with a scoop and the cone could be clipped or not. Seems like with the cone it may work ok with higher velocity rounds.
AAC 7.62SD
SWR Warlock
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Has anyone tried a cone and flat baffle?

Post by Historian »

mdfoster wrote:I was thinking about a design with a cone then a flat baffle and then a spacer. The flat baffle could be profiled similar to the face of a k baffle with a scoop and the cone could be clipped or not. Seems like with the cone it may work ok with higher velocity rounds.
If the apex of the cone in protruding into the center/bull's eye of the washer for stability then
you have a profile of a K. The only added feature would be to make a hole in the washer
to act as sort of K-mouse_hole.

For possible variations on the theme here are interesting 'truncated olive like cones'.

<< http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/32741 ... bases.html >>
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

What caliber?
If it's for a pistol caliber or rimfire, you'd be better off with K's.
I'd go with cones (clipped or not) for rifle calibers.
You could post a drawing of your complete stack.
You will get recommendations on where to tweak it.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

Picturing it like you described, the flat baffle would in effect 'close' the end of the cone?

What part of NC?
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
mdfoster

Post by mdfoster »

CMV wrote:Picturing it like you described, the flat baffle would in effect 'close' the end of the cone?

What part of NC?
I was thinking a 0.5-0.75" gap between the flat washer and the next cone.

Raleigh

Seems like it may work better than a k-baffle for higher velocity rounds. Might be intetesting to try on a 17 hmr.
AAC 7.62SD
SWR Warlock
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

mdfoster wrote:
CMV wrote:Picturing it like you described, the flat baffle would in effect 'close' the end of the cone?

What part of NC?

Raleigh

Seems like it may work better than a k-baffle for higher velocity rounds. Might be intetesting to try on a 17 hmr.
You are pretty close to us.

Why not go with a proven design?

What caliber is the Form1 for?
mdfoster

Post by mdfoster »

Bendersquint wrote:
mdfoster wrote:

What part of NC?

Raleigh

You are pretty close to us.

Why not go with a proven design?

Probably will. The idea came to me and havent seen it done before.

What caliber is the Form1 for?
.22 and .30
AAC 7.62SD
SWR Warlock
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

Posting for OP

--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
Wildcatter

Post by Wildcatter »

Have any of the 07 folks on this forum tried this?

A bunch of us have built cans with cones and spacers for high powered rifles on form 1s because it's easy and it works. The reason multiple cones work so well is because you have so many opportunities for high velocity, high pressure gases to be peeled off of the bore centerline before the projectile uncorks. In low pressure, large bore applications(458 socom subs or pistol rounds) you typically need more surface area, like with K baffles, to cool the gasses before uncorking. This design looks likes it gives both within a finite space. An added feature is the rigidity that spacers provide between the cones. I have heard stories about K baffles collapsing in higher pressure applications if they are not reinforced with thicker sidewalls. This design looks like it gives the baffle surface area of the K with some of the off-axis space of a stacked cone structure and opportunities for dater holes, mouse holes and cone structures to be added to redirect gases above and beyond Ks or cones. Anyway, I'm not saying this is the end all, be all in baffle design. I think I will try it on my pending form1 build and report results. My stamp should be here next week.

---Catter
mdfoster

Post by mdfoster »

AAC 7.62SD
SWR Warlock
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Wildcatter wrote:Have any of the 07 folks on this forum tried this?

A bunch of us have built cans with cones and spacers for high powered rifles on form 1s because it's easy and it works. The reason multiple cones work so well is because you have so many opportunities for high velocity, high pressure gases to be peeled off of the bore centerline before the projectile uncorks. In low pressure, large bore applications(458 socom subs or pistol rounds) you typically need more surface area, like with K baffles, to cool the gasses before uncorking. This design looks likes it gives both within a finite space. An added feature is the rigidity that spacers provide between the cones. I have heard stories about K baffles collapsing in higher pressure applications if they are not reinforced with thicker sidewalls. This design looks like it gives the baffle surface area of the K with some of the off-axis space of a stacked cone structure and opportunities for dater holes, mouse holes and cone structures to be added to redirect gases above and beyond Ks or cones. Anyway, I'm not saying this is the end all, be all in baffle design. I think I will try it on my pending form1 build and report results. My stamp should be here next week.

---Catter
We tried something pretty close to this design and for big bore applications it was not as effective as using either K's or cones. Not to mention it was alot heavier than when using just K's or cones.

Back to the drawing board, won't be revisiting that design anytime soon.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

I fooled around w your idea in MS Paint for a while.
In the end I came up with a simplified version the design you described, and another member was kind enough to draw. I removed any machining from the flats, added a nozzle to your endcap to retain a gas pocket, and added Purple Lines to signify threaded areas.
It shortened the can and added an extra set of flat and cone washers. Only the endcaps need to be lathed. The rest can be sourced to fit and then drilled for porting.
Just another opinion to help visualize the project and simplify work.
ImageThe Top pic is my playing around w CMV's design. You get an idea what was rolling around in my head. The 2nd pic is what I finally arrived at.
Hope it stimulates some more thought.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314