Suppressors as SHTF gear?

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

jwise
Silent Operator

Suppressors as SHTF gear?

Post by jwise »

Does anybody view their suppressors as SHTF prep gear?

One of the reasons for my wanting a .22lr suppressed pistol is for just this reason. The ability to take small game quietly could be very important in a SHTF situation.

I know this is a VERY unused forum, but I figured I'd throw something in here for kicks... :D
J. Wise
WLCHARM
Silent But Deadly

Post by WLCHARM »

I plan on taking all of my cans with me if SHTF.
Jersey Arms Works
S-701 Avenger
The Other MAC M-10/45!!!!!
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Yep, it can be useful as the Fin's said - it can't make you silent but it will help you be invisable. 8)
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Dark Tranquility
Elite Member

Post by Dark Tranquility »

Your best bet for SHTF are conibear traps. 110s for squirrels and rabbits 220s for raccoons, small dogs large cats, and a couple 280s or 330s for large dogs

http://www.nwtrappers.com/catalog/traps/vt/vtc.asp

Peoples pets will be an excellent food source in cities if the SHTF. Out in the country nail those raccoons in the 220s, and snare deer in steel cable snares with locks. Deer snares can be made dirt cheap. You could set up hundreds of them and nail all kinds of deer.

Gill nets are also awesome if you have a lake near by. I’ve never been able to get fish traps to woke correctly. There’s a lot of trial and error with the funnel size that I don’t have time for.

Also, if you have a predetermined location that you will leave to consider getting into bee keeping. You can use the honey for yourself, as well as it’s a universal bait for trapping.

Get a good suppressed center fire rifle to defend your life. And a small accurate suppressed rim fire pistol or rifle to pop a snared deer in the head with. Don’t think you just going to head for the woods and live off the land with a .22 pistol and a good knife.

Dan
Paranoia
Silent But Deadly

Post by Paranoia »

Yes I would take a rifle can and a pistol can. I have found that my suppressed G17 wih subsonic ammo is very nice for killing larger animals like hogs. Shot placement is always the key though.

I personally would not run off in a SHTF secnerio I live out in the woods I would hold my ground.
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

It all depends on what type of SHTF. There is only one highway out of town so, I either go East or West along with 4 million give or take, other people. How far do I get on one tank of gas in highway gridlock? I've been parked on I-35 for an hour in the high speed lane before so, my options may not be as good as some of the more fortunate who don't live in the big city.

If I was in rural Oklahoma where I grew up, my chances would be much better. In the big cities, what are you going to do besides shoot the looters that want to take your rifle and food?
nitram
Silent But Deadly

Post by nitram »

Sid Post wrote:In the big cities, what are you going to do besides shoot the looters that want to take your rifle and food?
Harvest the looters. After all, it's SHTF, right? :twisted:

I'll bring at least one can with me should I have to leave my home, which I really don't want to do.
manowar669
Senior Silent Operator

Post by manowar669 »

I thought about cans as SHTF gear and thought they would come in useful as getting past "unofficial roadblocks" or to get out of a sticky situation before reinforcements arrive. Poaching also, but as mentioned above, traps are more effective, deniable, and are always "on duty".
The gods taught us to forge iron so that we would not be slaves.
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

If I can only take one gun w/me when and if - it's my supressed 16" w/ACOG and a crap load of SS109.
BookHound
Silent But Deadly

Post by BookHound »

Yep. I've got my M4-2000 in a new MOLLE pouch from AAC on my "super tactical zombie basher" vest. I also have similar pouches on the bag in the picture for my Evo-9 and SCAR-SD.

I have cans for just about everything in the safe, with the exception of the 1919 and a couple hunting rifles (.270 and 7mm mag). It would be hard for me not to grab something with a can on it. :wink:

Mark
NAM
Silent But Deadly

Post by NAM »

Many sentries have been...relieved...by unnoticed suppressed .22's
QuietMike
Silent Operator

Post by QuietMike »

Folding stock 10/22 suppressed of course.-Easy to carry, lightweight, minimum required maintenance, easily acquired ammo that weighs 1/10th
of "normal" ammo. Effective up to at least deer size game.
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

I see very little tactical advantage to a suppressed .22lr that a pellet rifle doesn't offer.
Last edited by GlockandRoll on Wed May 02, 2007 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

There is definatly a place for a suppressor in SHTF gear!!
Duncan223

Post by Duncan223 »

I agree that a can on a .22 can be a good way to land a meal - if you're in the woods, or a quite way to end a situation, if you're stuck in the city. But, like many of you, I'm in town and have serious doubts that this little 'burg will ever undergo some kind of urban war. If it does, then buggin' out might come into play. Since we've survived a couple of hurricanes over the past decade and I've only fired up the generator twice, I'm probably gonna bug-in. I've got the fuel, food and firearms to keep the house stocked and safe.
NRA, GOA, SAF, JFPO

كافر | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ | WOLVERINES!

[img]http://i14.tinypic.com/67gzswz.jpg[/img]
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

A knife on a stick would be a faster way to kill something than a .22lr, seriously - you would be better off with a .177 pellet rifle.
thunderhole
Silent But Deadly

Post by thunderhole »

GlockandRoll: So why exactly would BB gun be the best tool for the job? I have killed alot of squirrels and rabbits, mostly with .22's and shotguns, but a few with BB guns, and it is definately done most efficiently with a .22.
"A long time ago being crazy meant something. Now everybody's crazy."-Charles Manson
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

I'm not dignifying that if I cant be qouted accurately.
BigGreen
Silent But Deadly

Post by BigGreen »

GlockandRoll wrote:I see very little tactical advantage to a suppressed .22lr that a pellet rifle doesn't offer.
semi auto
wolffie
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolffie »

GlockandRoll wrote:A knife on a stick would be a faster way to kill something than a .22lr, seriously - you would be better off with a .177 pellet rifle.
Wow, where did you get that from? .22lr is an overachieving cartridge, and has fed a lot of families. It's certainly lethal.

Oh well. To each his own. We all have our biases, and I personally love the .22lr cartridge. I would consider a suppressed .22 a must have for a survival situation. I often carry a TPH as a "get off me gun."
Omega 30
SpecWar2
HemsII
Trident9
Warlock
Evolution9
Pilot
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

I tired to make this my signature, but it was too long:
----
Never suppress a .22lr, they have little use for anything other than training young children to knock over soft drink cans. Going through the NFA hassle and expense for something with virtually no tactical value is - in my opinion - absurd. A .177 caliber pellet rifle is very quiet, and is just as well suited for small game, yet does not require a 4473, much less a form 4.
wolffie
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolffie »

Fair enough. I'll keep shooting my suppressed .22's. And you can keep shooting your air rifles.

My NFA toys have little Tactical Value, because that's not what I own them for. I don't do anything for a living that would require such things, nor do I want to. They are FUN. And few are more fun to me than my suppressed .22's.

I can see a "tactical value" in .22's because they are so quiet. The click of a firing pin, and a thud when it hits. With a well placed shot, they are incredibly lethal. But, that's still not why I own them.

It's interesting. In trap and skeet circles, the .410 and 28gauge are considered "aficianado" cartridges. We start with the light gauges as kids, and can't wait until we get to use the heavier kicking 12gauges like the adults. Eventually, most skeet shooters come to appreciate the smaller shells, and smaller more graceful guns that go with them. Part of it is spending a whole day breaking clays without the associated sore shoulder. There's a level of snob appeal for those who take the time to master them, while enjoying the light recoil, and low noise.

I look at the .22lr in much the same way. We start out with it as kids, and get all googly eyed over .45's, and .357's. Hunters become enfatuated with the super ultra mega magnums. Eventually, if you spend enough time at the range being battered by hard kicking magnums. You come to appreciate the light recoil, low noise and low cost of shooting .22's. Just because I can handle the recoil of heavier calibers, doesn't mean I want to.
Omega 30
SpecWar2
HemsII
Trident9
Warlock
Evolution9
Pilot
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

I was a big kid, so they started me on the .20, .243, and .45acp - even when I was eight.

Is an integral MK2 Ruger .22lr cool - you betcha - but I'm not going to dish out a grand for it, when a knife is even more silent and does not require paperwork.

And I can be fairly certain that I speak for the vast majority when I declare a much higher giggle factor when shooting my USP tactical w/HEMS, or Savage bolt with ThunderTrap and subisonics.
BigGreen
Silent But Deadly

Post by BigGreen »

I love suppressed .22's.
I can shoot a brick of 500 for $10 in my back yard, and my neighbors don't have a clue I am doing it. Find me 45 ACP for $10 a 500 , or send me the money to buy a brick a week, and I will start shooting the 45 far more often.
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

BigGreen wrote:I love suppressed .22's.
I can shoot a brick of 500 for $10 in my back yard, and my neighbors don't have a clue I am doing it. Find me 45 ACP for $10 a 500 , or send me the money to buy a brick a week, and I will start shooting the 45 far more often.
Noted: However are we not talking about WTSHTF, what does your plinking in the back yard have to do with this, respectfully?