Surefire baffle strike and warranty experience

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Surefire baffle strike and warranty experience

Post by dan9591 »

I thought I would share my latest Surefire experience with you all…

I bought a SOCOM762 for my Ruger scout rifle. Light weight magazine fed 308 with a 16” barrel; what’s not to like?

I had a local gunsmith install the surefire flash hider about a month before I received the stamp for the can. He used the surefire shims and installed it properly.

When I got the can I noticed that it was really tight going onto the mount. I mean REALLY tight as in needed to be hammered onto the mount with a rubber mallet. After that, I got exactly one “click” on the ratchet before it wouldn’t budge. Getting it off was another nightmare altogether.

I thought this was strange, so I called surefire before I did any shooting. Their rep told me that as long as there was at least one “click”, it was good to go. They suggested that firing a few rounds would loosen things up.

No big deal, I thought, I’ve had tight mounts before. Off to the range I go!

I fired a few rounds without the can to ensure stability. I was using setpoint subsonic ammunition. No problems at all.

Trying to be discreet, I pulled out the mallet, got the can onto the mount, tightened it to the single click, loaded a single round into the magazine, aimed and fired.

Thunk.

Can flies 20 yards down line.

First shot through it. Ever. Not happy.

So I waited for the firing line to go cold and trundled down to my poor can. Closer inspection revealed that the round kissed every baffle on the way out and struck the end cap. It was actually not too bad and if I had the can for a while I would not have been so upset, but the fact that it happened on the very first round really pissed me off.

So I packed up and went home. The next day I opened a service ticket on surefire’s site. Someone called me a few hours later and we spoke about what happened. They agreed to fix the can under warranty. No arguing, no fighting, no looking for out-of-warranty loopholes. Color me impressed.

I sent the can in not expecting too much. A few days later the tech calls me and tells me the can is ready but they are not comfortable sending it out to me just yet. Apparently the can and the ratchet mechanism were fully in spec and I should not have had this issue. They suspected the mount may be the problem and asked me to send it to them. Unfortunately, the smith used rockestt and I wasn’t really in the mood to start messing with it. I explained this to them and they agreed to have me send the whole rifle in to them. It would be at my expense, but I figured it was worth it to be 100% sure everything was perfect.

In the meantime, they returned the can to me. It looks absolutely brand new. I can’t find any evidence that it was worked on, even with a magnifying glass. I am very impressed.

I sent the rifle in and a week after they received it I got a call from the tech. They were stumped as they had the same problem I did. They tried other cans and they all had the same issue. They removed the mount, installed a new, verified mount and had the same issue.

So they turned their attention to the barrel and this is where it gets interesting… apparently the tapering profile of the Ruger scout rifle is not that tapered. It is too thick towards the shoulder, which caused the mount to swell, making a true lock impossible.

They did not want to work on Ruger’s barrel, so instead of messing with it they created a custom mount just for little ‘ol me, which you can see at the bottom. I thought this was much nicer than a "Send it to Ruger" stance they could have taken.

I took it to the range today and everything is now perfect.

So…
What I did right:
1. Had the mount properly installed by a qualified gunsmith, but it can be argued that he should have noticed the issue at first.
2. Called surefire to confirm mounting issue BEFORE I shot it.

What I did wrong:
1. I did not first try another can from my dealer to rule out what could be bad.
2. I did not think that the barrel may be the issue.
3. I trusted the first rep's advice even though it went against my better judgment.
4. I did not document enough. I do not know the name of the rep I originally spoke with. If I needed to prove I spoke to someone first, that would have helped.

Lessons learned:
1. Measure measure measure!
2. Surefire warranty service is truly outstanding.

Hopefully this will help anyone looking to mount a suppressor to a Ruger Scout rifle…

Last edited by dan9591 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Re: Surefire baffle strike and warranty experience

Post by Fireman1291 »

Very interesting! Thanks for the write-up! :wink:
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
.300WinMag
Silent But Deadly

Post by .300WinMag »

Thunk.

Can flies 20 yards down line.

First shot through it. Ever. Not happy.

Sorry, had to LOL at that visual and the circumstance - very 1st round….."F*ckMe"

<--- SF owner

Contemplating a SF 7.62 but don't want to pay 2x for the 4 oz difference in weight (that's 56 pennies for those that want a real world on the weight margin) - but it is the no bullshit warranty and their mounts that make me look twice, and recommend them to others.

Good luck
Kudu22
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kudu22 »

Glad everything is working out on the Scout. We try to help where we can. Honestly hadn't had a Ruger Scout come in before so it was good for us to see what was going on with that weapon platform.
Garin Lee
Surefire Suppressor Marketing Manager
[email protected]
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

With regards to the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle and suppressing it, everyone who intends to suppress this platform needs to be aware that there is not a true "shoulder" up front for a can or mount to index on.

What you will be tightening the suppressor or mount on will be the front sight body that is press fit over the barrel and it may not be not "square".

It not being square will cause your can or mount to pull to one side when tightened and quite possibly result in the same problem the OP describes in his post.

My Ruger GSR required fitting of my 51T mount so as to ensure it was square.

When I first mounted my 762SDN6 on my GSR I looked down the bore to check the alignment and it pulled so far one way that there was no way a bullet would have made it down the can without destroying the suppressor.

I pulled the mount off the rifle and went to work with a file and an hour or so later I had it all lined up.

500 rounds later and I haven't had any problems.

So, upon review of the OP's "should have" list there is one very important item he failed to identify; that is, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS look down the bore with you suppressor attached to ensure proper alignment prior to firing your first suppressed round on a new host/platform.

If any portion of the suppresors baffle stucture appears to occlude the bore (however slight) don't fire the weapon.

Have it professionally diagnosed so as to prevent damage to yourself or your can.

I had a Remington model 700 threaded by a gunsmith local to me (who has done many hosts for me in the past) and when I picked it up and mounted the can it didn't look "right" with can attached and looking down the bore.

To me, it was visibly "off" to one side so I took it back to his shop for him to have a look at it.

At first he wasn't seeing "it" and we spent an hour betwen me, him and his assistant "eyeballing" it to see what was up.

His assistant was seeing the same thig I saw but he (the gunsmith) wasn't convinced.

Finally he broke it all down, removed the mount, measured everything, checked his set up on the lathe and sure enough it was off.

I left him the gun and mount and in a day he had it fixed and with the can mounted it was perfect.

So the moral to my story is this:

Visibly check your can's alignment and if it don't look right have it checked out.
MAJ MALFUNCTION
Elite Industry Professional

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

dan9591 wrote:When I got the can I noticed that it was really tight going onto the mount. I mean REALLY tight as in needed to be hammered onto the mount with a rubber mallet.
:shock:

That alone should have been a huge red flag that something was not right.
SILENCER WHOLESALER - selling to Class III dealers only
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Thanks ATCDoktor, I'm in the process of getting a 300TM for my GSR.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

MAJ MALFUNCTION wrote:
dan9591 wrote:When I got the can I noticed that it was really tight going onto the mount. I mean REALLY tight as in needed to be hammered onto the mount with a rubber mallet.
:shock:

That alone should have been a huge red flag that something was not right.
You are absolutely 100% correct. Those were my thoughts exactly and why I called Surefire before firing. They gave me the go-ahead, but I should have stopped right there and re-evaluated.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

ATCDoktor, I get what you're saying about the front sight, but what did you file to get a mount to fit?!

Picture? Diagram?
WhiteDingo

Post by WhiteDingo »

este wrote:ATCDoktor, I get what you're saying about the front sight, but what did you file to get a mount to fit?!

Picture? Diagram?
Este, I believe what he is saying that he basically squared the front face of the sight the old fashioned way, with a file. Check the high spot, remove material, repeat until square to the threads.
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

ATCDoktor, I get what you're saying about the front sight, but what did you file to get a mount to fit?!

Picture? Diagram?
I should have clarified that point.

As White Dingo has stated, I filed the front sight base on the side favoring the baffles.

Essentially the "high" side of the front sight base was taken down till the bore of the rifle and the the can were centered.

It took about an hour and a half (maybe 2 hours) or so to get it all lined up.

There's a lot of back and forth involved with respect to removing and installing an AAC 51T flash suppressor and the can between sessions with the file.

Its a pain so go slow, take your time and don't be tempted to use a dremel tool.

Take off too much and you'll be in trouble for sure.