This forum is getting a bit snarky

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Baffled
Silent But Deadly

This forum is getting a bit snarky

Post by Baffled »

We used to be an exceptionally friendly forum, IMO, especially to new guys.

Is it just me, or has the tone gotten a bit mean, bullying at times, a bit harsh?

I've done my share of it, but only when a particular individual went out of his way to be a braying ass. Otherwise, I've tried to be helpful and encouraging.

Guys post ideas, and yes, some of them are outlandish, but they seem to be often put down with a "you don't know s--t! HAHAHAHA, what a joke!" in so many words. Or, stuff like "You dumb MF, if you had only cut that hole 0.002" more to the right, your suppressor would work. Now, it's only a pile of crap."

Am I wrong? Probably.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Re: This forum is getting a bit snarky

Post by bakerjw »

Are you referring to the silencersmithing forum? I've not been spending much time up there so I've not seen too much as of late.

A number of regulars have tired of people coming on and tiptoeing around the gray areas of Form 1 builds.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
acg1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by acg1911 »

Baffled wrote:We used to be an exceptionally friendly forum, IMO, especially to new guys.

Is it just me, or has the tone gotten a bit mean, bullying at times, a bit harsh?

I've done my share of it, but only when a particular individual went out of his way to be a braying ass. Otherwise, I've tried to be helpful and encouraging.

Guys post ideas, and yes, some of them are outlandish, but they seem to be often put down with a "you don't know s--t! HAHAHAHA, what a joke!" in so many words. Or, stuff like "You dumb MF, if you had only cut that hole 0.002" more to the right, your suppressor would work. Now, it's only a pile of crap."

Am I wrong? Probably.
You're not wrong. It has.

Post count is not necessarily analogous to intelligence, or social skills. For the "high post-count" members living in mommy's basement, pretending to be an ex this or a former that, I suppose pissing on new people makes them feel better.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

I don't know... I'm probably over reacting.

I recently joined a distillation forum because I am very interested in the process for fuel and for self-sufficiency, and it's been really eye-opening just how friendly they've been. Very patient to me and other noobs with really stupid questions.

Maybe it's just a momentary thing here, or I'm just not seeing it right.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

Nah, I poked around and found some "snarkiness". You never know what's going on in some people's lives. Hopefully it is a temporary thing.
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

Baffled wrote:We used to be an exceptionally friendly forum, IMO, especially to new guys.

Am I wrong? Probably.

There are several helpful, friendly members on this site. But,

I have always felt like the vibe on here from a lot of the members is one of superiority, arrogance and general dick-headed smart ass.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
JFettig
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JFettig »

It happens on every forum.

As time goes on, every forum progresses towards this, the veteran members get sick of the same old questions and start to get grumpy. When it gets popular, you get inundated by n00bs and it gets even worse.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

Sigproshooter wrote: I have always felt like the vibe on here from a lot of the members is one of superiority, arrogance and general dick-headed smart ass.
So then it is exactly like every other site on the net, to include soap making forums? :lol:
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I can't help but agree to some extent. I know that I personally poop on people to feel superior. I have to vent my frustration at living in my own basement.

Joking aside... I've wondered in the past why there aren't dedicated answers to certain questions - like how to set up a trust... a general overview of what the silencer-buying experience and timeline are like. Specifically something that gets "stickied" and then locked once it adequately answers the question so that people can't chime in with spam like, "+1".

I personally try to keep political and ethical opinion out of the more technical sub-forums.

There are a few moderators here - they're listed above. Perhaps we can generate an insanely long thread where people chime in with potential "first-handgun-host-and-silencer" suggestions... then a moderator cleans it up, cuts-and-pastes the list to the sticky, and it remains a pristine source for people to point at when people new to NFA ask the same questions. Or perhaps a general FAQ answering questions like, "Which caliber is quietest?", "Nielsen device and which hosts need it", "Proper thread pitch for common calibers", "Best bullet-weight per caliber for subsonic", "Length of barrel to maintain 99%+ subsonic with a 22 lr"... etc.

The thing with the data the site has now is... it's very comprehensive... but you have to read through so much BS to get it that it can be wearisome to say the least. Plus, with the site containing as much alphanumeric data as it does, even the search feature brings back a tremendous number of false-hits. Add to that aggravation that whenever a new, informational-dense thread pops up, it tapers off into non-sequitors, "+1"s, petty bickering at how can X is great on a pistol, but crap on a rifle -- even though its rifle numbers are quieter than the pistol -- and so on. I have personally sent out two... maybe three (or more) cut-and-paste PMs of general walkthroughs for how and where I got my own Living Trust, and the general timeline for the process in response to new people asking in the open forum.

Locking the threads keeps them information-dense... but it also prevents them from being dynamic; meaning that when a new product reaches the market, the thread is unable to reflect that.

I dunno... just some suggestions and thoughts that I've had in the past. Civility doesn't hurt either.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

We do have the Form 1 thread in the Silencersmithing forum that is stickied. I've been meaning to clean it up some but have been busy with too many other projects.

I'm open to making some other sticky threads for guidance to new visitors here.

Sent from my mom's basement. ;)
acg1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by acg1911 »

TROOPER wrote:I can't help but agree to some extent. I know that I personally poop on people to feel superior. I have to vent my frustration at living in my own basement.

Joking aside... I've wondered in the past why there aren't dedicated answers to certain questions - like how to set up a trust... a general overview of what the silencer-buying experience and timeline are like. Specifically something that gets "stickied" and then locked once it adequately answers the question so that people can't chime in with spam like, "+1".

I personally try to keep political and ethical opinion out of the more technical sub-forums.

There are a few moderators here - they're listed above. Perhaps we can generate an insanely long thread where people chime in with potential "first-handgun-host-and-silencer" suggestions... then a moderator cleans it up, cuts-and-pastes the list to the sticky, and it remains a pristine source for people to point at when people new to NFA ask the same questions. Or perhaps a general FAQ answering questions like, "Which caliber is quietest?", "Nielsen device and which hosts need it", "Proper thread pitch for common calibers", "Best bullet-weight per caliber for subsonic", "Length of barrel to maintain 99%+ subsonic with a 22 lr"... etc.

The thing with the data the site has now is... it's very comprehensive... but you have to read through so much BS to get it that it can be wearisome to say the least. Plus, with the site containing as much alphanumeric data as it does, even the search feature brings back a tremendous number of false-hits. Add to that aggravation that whenever a new, informational-dense thread pops up, it tapers off into non-sequitors, "+1"s, petty bickering at how can X is great on a pistol, but crap on a rifle -- even though its rifle numbers are quieter than the pistol -- and so on. I have personally sent out two... maybe three (or more) cut-and-paste PMs of general walkthroughs for how and where I got my own Living Trust, and the general timeline for the process in response to new people asking in the open forum.

Locking the threads keeps them information-dense... but it also prevents them from being dynamic; meaning that when a new product reaches the market, the thread is unable to reflect that.

I dunno... just some suggestions and thoughts that I've had in the past. Civility doesn't hurt either.
Agreed. I'll add that, if a poster asks a question that some of the "experts" feel is stupid or repetitive, just don't reply. Let someone with more patience help them, or direct them to the appropriate thread. Obviously, the political discussions could remain more combative.
Maser
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maser »

It's just the internet and not real life. The majority of those who make "snarky" remarks over the net are only doing so because they are too gutless to say it to someone's face in real life.
My intelligence is like a suppressed rimfire pistol. You may not be able to hear it, but it certainly always hits its mark.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Maser wrote:It's just the internet and not real life. The majority of those who make "snarky" remarks over the net are only doing so because they are too gutless to say it to someone's face in real life.
Behold: the snarky comment.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

Well I've seen the extreme end of the spectrum too. One livestock forum that I was on had the worlds worst nanny site Nazi moderators around. Hurting someone's feelings would garner a warning.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

And somewhere in between are the places where a number people are allowed to become the de facto anti-snarky vigilantes who police snarkiness in all posts but those by each other. Conveniently defining what is and is not snarkiness to suit their own needs by writing off snarky comments from each other as misunderstood jokes or "Bill is going through some rough times right now so everybody cut him some slack".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

What about metasnarkiness?

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

doubloon wrote:And somewhere in between are the places where a number people are allowed to become the de facto anti-snarky vigilantes who police snarkiness in all posts but those by each other. Conveniently defining what is and is not snarkiness to suit their own needs by writing off snarky comments from each other as misunderstood jokes or "Bill is going through some rough times right now so everybody cut him some slack".
But who will snark the snarky?
(I vote for Trooper since he has already snarked one of my snarks today)
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Yes, I saw him playing grammar cop. :D

I can second trooper for the job because even if I don't agree with his snarks there usually entertaining.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

Should we start a snarknozzle of the month poll?

But now I think back to poor maser and the banana pic. I never did figure out what that was about.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I put enough effort once into figuring out what the banana thing was about and all I remember is it was a lot like trying to crack one of those half open pistachios by biting it only to find what's inside to be dry shriveled an unsalted.

I could put some effort into it again but I'd rather find out if there is a monthly prize for snarknozzle.

Do you plan for the poll be added to other polls reminiscent of the obligatory ban cortland option or an actual snarknozzle poll with a ban cortland option?

ETA: I felt compelled to track down the banana sticker again and I left out the part where the shell pinches the inside of your cheek when you try to crack the pistachio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxxQS5LJi9w
Maser
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maser »

The banana sticker thing still to this day remains a mystery to me. The kid who started posting that thing is no longer here or has stopped posting. Don't remember his screen name, but think his real name was Josh or something like that. So until he starts posting again here, the banana sticker mystery will never be solved. :?

My intelligence is like a suppressed rimfire pistol. You may not be able to hear it, but it certainly always hits its mark.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Maser wrote:... the banana sticker mystery will never be solved. :?

already solved

<this area reserved for snarky comment about signature tag lines>
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Maser wrote:The banana sticker thing still to this day remains a mystery to me. The kid who started posting that thing is no longer here or has stopped posting. Don't remember his screen name, but think his real name was Josh or something like that. So until he starts posting again here, the banana sticker mystery will never be solved. :?

iirc his forum name was poncho and he was from Calf.

He was good at designing and drawing iirc.

I remember that but for the last two days I've been trying to remember the name of a fellow, from around Chicago or thereabouts that I used to kid around a lot with here, a nice fellow, Columbian iirc, really into cans, went into the whole thing, bought sound meters, opened another forum and took a fair amount of guys from here with him, can't remember the forum name either.

And I also recall a fellow from Georgia, had an avatar of like a monkey walking with cane and straw hat, microguy I thing he called himself.

Maybe we should have an old timers day. lol
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Hush wrote:iirc his forum name was poncho and he was from Calf.

I think that would be Paco Ramirez?
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Bendersquint wrote:
Hush wrote:iirc his forum name was poncho and he was from Calf.

I think that would be Paco Ramirez?
The winner!

Good memory. :D