What are you guys paying for NFA transfers?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

DMY
Senior Silent Operator

What are you guys paying for NFA transfers?

Post by DMY »

Places around me are charging $175, $195, and "$200-$300" per item. Are you guys paying anything close to that? I know the long wait times are filling up safes at the gun stores, but this is ridiculous. The last transfer I did was $50, though that was almost a year ago!

I think it's time for me to get an SOT and a safe so I can do transfers!
KVoimakas

Re: What are you guys paying for NFA transfers?

Post by KVoimakas »

$100 up here in the backwoods of the UP.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

Anyone charging $200 to $300 is someone I would not do business with.
If you are buying something out of a stocking dealer's inventory and paying retail....there should be no charge.
If you are just using the dealer to get the item instate... $50 would not be out of line.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

It seems as if those charging high transfer fees are trying to make a profit on the lost sale of the NFA item. Maybe thay should carry a better inventory.......
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

75 for first one and 60 each for extras done at same time. Half of what others around here charge. Most just buy from what we have in stock works out the same as having something sent in. No fees of any kind if buying/ ordering items from us.
Last edited by 66427vette on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

$50
loneeagle

Post by loneeagle »

$50.00
bitfi3nd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bitfi3nd »

$40, but my C3 is a screwup. Nice enough guy, and it's probably his employees since he has a terminal disease.
But you get what you pay for there.
marcus99
Senior Silent Operator

Post by marcus99 »

$50
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

My last dealer was $20 for Title I, $30 for Title II. Since I've moved my new Title I dealer is around the corner from my house and he charges $20, and that's $20 per deal. I had 3 lowers shipped to him and he treated it as one transaction and it cost me $20 total. He doesn't do Title II stuff so I go to a different dealer for that, he charges $35 per item.
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

Wow. One local charges $150, the other charges $100 here. You guys are lucky.
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

I've paid as high as $160 and as low as $20. I wish the $20 dollar guy was still in business! :mrgreen:
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

$50-100 . . .

Will the ATF allow a "business" to be transfers only? :mrgreen:
zach h
Silent But Deadly

Post by zach h »

57fairlane wrote:$50-100 . . .

That would be conducting business . There have been quite a few "shops" that do that . There was one guy years ago that kept listing some MG on a site like subguns or sturm for some crazy high price . It was to show he was engaged in selling guns , he just din't ever sell many . Or it could have been to show his wife that he was trying to sell them , we never were really sure .
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

57fairlane wrote:$50-100 . . .

Why not stock a bunch of items and be the hometown silencer shop and do transfers? Stock the good stuff deep and you will have to beat customs away.
BigWonton

Post by BigWonton »

$80. They charged me half for the second one done at the same time.

Maybe not the cheapest but they also will dig it out of the safe for me to shoot on their range.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

$20.00 to $25.00 per gun in Western part of NC.
KSmoker

Post by KSmoker »

$75 here and $50 for additional at the same time. That and it's an indoor range so I shoot it when I want. Can't complain.
karb

Post by karb »

jaredr
Silent But Deadly

Post by jaredr »

$100 from me, less if you're a repeat customer who i know will not be high maintenance.

everyone wants to execute transfers by eform which may clear (i.e. be approved) more quickly but certainly take me a TON more time to fill out, these days i'm lucky if I can get a form completed in less than 45 minutes with all of the technical issues the eforms site is suffering. given the additional time i have to spend educating the customer about the transfer process, working with them to get their paperwork in order and then fielding what can be (from some customers) multiple follow up calls ("hey, can you tell me how much longer i'll have to wait? It's already been 3 months!) you can easily spend 3+ hours on a customer for a single transfer. I'm not investing that kind of time for $50.

on the other hand, if you're a repeat customer who is already educated about title II then $50 is more or less reasonable, bit of a crap shoot depending upon how many times i have to go back into atfonline.gov to finally get the form submitted...
marv800

Post by marv800 »

Holy smokes you people are getting robbed! I pay $45. There's barely anything to do, to warrant $200!!!
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

I hated paying $25 when I was transferring items. I guess the grass wasn't greener on the other side.
07/02 behind enemy lines
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Never had to, local dealer usually has in stock or can order " new/ hot" cans fast and charges well under retail and less or same as on line with transfer fee!

Always try and find a "good" local guy first to same time.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
GoingQuiet
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoingQuiet »

jaredr wrote:$100 from me, less if you're a repeat customer who i know will not be high maintenance.

everyone wants to execute transfers by eform which may clear (i.e. be approved) more quickly but certainly take me a TON more time to fill out, these days i'm lucky if I can get a form completed in less than 45 minutes with all of the technical issues the eforms site is suffering. given the additional time i have to spend educating the customer about the transfer process, working with them to get their paperwork in order and then fielding what can be (from some customers) multiple follow up calls ("hey, can you tell me how much longer i'll have to wait? It's already been 3 months!) you can easily spend 3+ hours on a customer for a single transfer. I'm not investing that kind of time for $50.

on the other hand, if you're a repeat customer who is already educated about title II then $50 is more or less reasonable, bit of a crap shoot depending upon how many times i have to go back into atfonline.gov to finally get the form submitted...
I've been saying what you've been saying for years - thats why I bill an NFA transfer hourly. For the guys that know what they're doing, their charges are minimal. For the guys that need to know what's going on every step of the way - they're going to cover the bill for taking me off other jobs for 3 hours.
GoingQuiet.com
07 FFL / 02 SOT
Melbourne, FL
NFA Sales & Transfers, Silencerco Stocking Distributor, AAC, SigSauer, Gemtech, Rock River Arms Stocking Dealer
[email protected]
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I'm paying $25. But then all my dealer does is send me a text with a picture of the form 3, I fill out my own form including his info and stop and have him sign it. We bullshit a little bit. I mail it. He calls when the form is in, I pick it up. Guess I'm low maintance....