Nano and Abraxas Success! Finally!

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

montage11

Nano and Abraxas Success! Finally!

Post by montage11 »

I have a Nano and an Abraxas...i love them both. i have finally found a gun formula that both function GREAT ON.
Both work on an M&P-9 pro with a 5" storm lake barrel with a factory 16lbs spring and a full magazine.
I am switching to a 14 pound Glock spring and Guide rob for increased margin of reliability. I have fought hard
and spent lots of money on barrels trying to get them to be reliable enough for self defense use, and i have finally won!
The M&P pro(5" long slide versions), have a barrel long enough that the barrel doesn't have to tilt as much to unlock and cycle.
I would think that a Glock 34 (long slide 9mm), would also be a candidate for these cans, but havent confirmed this.
To get these micro cans to work on the Glock and M&P has been a challenge. The M&P-9 pro was immediately reliable with
subsonics and would lock the slide to the rear on the last shot. The same ammo and same Pro barrel was used in the 4.25 fullsize
and it had an immediate jam...as usual...yes and it did it with the facory threaded 4.25" barrel too. i have been at this for over a year
trying to get reliability from these 2 platforms. OH....do NOT fill them 100% with ablative(vaseline!) to try to increase backpressure...it actually
bulged my Abraxas body a little and it doesn't make it reliable or more quiet. If you are having problems with these cans on your platform...consider running supersonic +P ammo.
The supersonic ammo is typically hotter and the 124 and 147 +P ammo will be much quieter with the can than without and you will have reliable semi auto function on a wider variety
of guns....even though its supersonic. The threaded pro is a successful recipe...your mileage may vary...but this is what i am going with and will never again put it on a fullsize or smaller Glock or M&P.

BYW: here is how i get the cans wet: i insert the nipple of the wire pulling gel into the threaded end of silencer and i squirt a healthy dose of it in there....then i wrap my fist around the mouth, careful
not to get any gel on on the outside of my fist...and blow on my fist to expel the excess...looks kind of perverse...but is quick and easy.

Another method...i use a ar15 gas tube...i push the gas block port side into the silencers front until its at the rear baffle...i then build up tape around the tube to mark its exact position and i can insert the tube
again quickly while its on the gun and it positions the port at exactly the same place each time...i then use the flip down tube on the wd40 oil(and white lithium spray), i insert the wd40 tube into the long horizontal
gas tube and fill up the silencer like that.

My first post ever online.
montage11

Re: Nano and Abraxas Success! Finally!

Post by montage11 »

1 more thing...i modified my slide on my M&P-9 so i could push the slide lock UP and lock the slide
from moving rearward while shooting a Nano or Abraxas...i worked! and the slide lock didn't break...

But the SLIDE DID...but only a little. The part of the slide that made contact with the slide lock failed under
pressure and chipped off a small enough chunk to make the conversion inopearable...i could try again...but
i think eventually i would damage the slide lock. Wouldn't take long to break or bend the lock. There is a guy who
makes a special magnet that attaches to the dust cover and the magnet holds the slide shut for extended lock times.
The level of lock time and magnet power is adjustable...would be an interesting locked slide concept for many different pistols.

i have some rare earth magnets that would easily keep the slide shut during a suppressed firing. This magneto slide locking stuff
could be the new slide lock technology for pistols!

http://dpmsystems.com/products/item/104 ... ion-system

http://www.gunblast.com/DPM-SWMP.htm
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Great info.

Another way to clear the ablative is to run a jag tip w a cleaning rod. It pushes the gel away from boreline. Any tendrils that worm their way back into boreline will be pushed aside by precursor wave in front of projectile.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

Thanks for the post, and welcome to the board!

I've always been fascinated by the ultralights, and your post speaks directly to that.

The first can I seriously thought about buying was the abraxxas, That didn't happen, but I've kicked myself for missing that deal ever since.
Jt.kline19
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jt.kline19 »

These kinda threads need pictures....
Once a Marine Always a Marine, so why reenlist?
Member of LSU
In Memory of the First Person to Get Me Into Guns, and NFA. RIP Edward R. Kline USAF Retired, August 12, 1953- May 26, 2012
Battlecloth
Silent But Deadly

Post by Battlecloth »

I bought my Abraxas for my M9 and it works flawlessly on that. I was able to get it to reliably function on a 3rd gen Glock 19 but I had to buy the AWC barrel to do it.
montage11

Post by montage11 »

AWC now has their take apart abraxas 2 with a piston for $700+$200 tax...which will make future unboosted micro cans redundant. AWC lady said it was 6.5" long...but that may or may not include the built in booster. ATF gave me permission to make an
original AWC booster that the original AWC company would to sell with their stainless Abraxas. i made clone of an evo-9 piston and spring and remade the booster case with a 1/2x28 male end on the front
and of course it was the pistons female 1/2x28 on the back where the piston was. i will try to upload a picture...never done that. But this booster made the abraxas reliable on all my glocks, and
m&p's. AWC so far has refused to make a booster...liability wise...i bet they won't ever...even if 100 of us got together to buy them...hmmm...maybe me and my machinist could make and sell them?
Anyone interested?
montage11

Post by montage11 »

Last week, i fired my 9mm abraxas(wet) on my Glock 19 next to a guy's .45 tirant(dry)on his Glock 19...for the 1st 3 shots they were indistinquishable and stayed quiet to round 8.
I asked him if the bigger can was to intimidate the target?
montage11

Post by montage11 »

Update: the 13 pound round Glock spring wasn't reliable with M&P fullsize.
The 13 pound FLAT spring from ismi WAS RELIABLE with m&p9 and Abraxas
Silencer when using 8+1 in the magazine with 147 gr American eagle.
The m&p9c was also reliable with Abraxas when fired with 8+1 in a
Fullsize magazine with grip extension, using the ismi
Spring cut down to mp9c spring length. Ismi says they are going to make
A m&p9c spring in the future.
-M
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Your writing
style is very
hard to read. You
might want to consider
thinking about where paragraphs
should go because not every statement
needs it's own line. You seem to be misguided in
that you need to put your own line breaks in, you do not.
This forum and almost all others, ever, have word wrap defaulted.
As it were, I read almost none of your post because it wasn't even sort
of worth my time to try and decipher where the important data was located.

Just FYI
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
montage11

Post by montage11 »

to simplify my Abraxas and Nano experience:
Abraxas 1 = "A"
Nano = "N"

A or N + Fullsize Glock or smaller = Less than 25% reliable

A or N + Fullsize M&P or smaller = Less than 25% reliable

A or N + Beretta Fullsize = 100% reliable

A or N + M&P 5" (CORE or PRO) = 100% reliable (but i would run a 13 pound reduced power FLAT spring from ISMI for greater margin of error)

A or N + Fullsize Glock + 14 pound reduced power round spring from Brownells + less than 10 round in a 17 round magazine = 100 % reliable

A or N + Fullsize M&P + 13 pound reduced power FLAT spring from ISMI + Less than 9 rounds in a 17 round magzine = 100 % reliable

A or N + M&P compact + 13 pound reduced power FLAT spring from ISMI(fullsize spring cut to the length of a standard compact spring length) + Less than 9 rounds in a 17 round magzine = 100 % reliable

A recipe for the Abraxas 1 that i have NEVER read about: Using a very powerful round, like a .357 sig 124gr +P+ or 9x25 Dillon with the micro cans. Sure it would be supersonic, but would the extra power would give a more reliable functioning of the silencer and would still be easier on the ears than an unsilenced, lesser powered bullet. What i mean to say is the #1 downside of more powerful ammo is the muzzleblast and recoil. Using a mico silencer can reduce both those problems. Imagine running a 9x25 Dillon, indoors, on a home defense gun using the Abraxas and the first 5 shots being no louder than a .25 auto? This is a concept i am looking into greatly. I shoot M&P's now exclusively, so the 9x25 Dillon and 960 roland are not availible. I can however shoot 357 sig thru the M&P using KKM barrels. This should result in a pretty effective home defense gun.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Ah, see much better!

Now I can see what you're talking about without having to expend too much energy to process it. But, at the same time, I can see you're switching springs in guns for suppressed use which is so far outside of anything I would do it's not even remotely a consideration.

Glad you got it figured out anyhow.
montage11

Post by montage11 »

More success:
I have successfully tested the 9mm Abraxas 1, using underwood ammo 124 gr +p+ @ 1,300 Fps and 147 gr +p+ @1,175 Fps. Actual Fps wasn't measured. I shot the Abraxas on a Glock 17 and a full size m&p 9, both with 17 in the magazine + 1 in the gun. The shells ejected 3 to 4 feet of of gun and locked slide back on last shot. Both 124 and 147 went supersonic, but may could stay subsonic, if fired from the compact version.
montage11

Post by montage11 »

This ammo was used above was with factory weight springs! This means the I can now use the Abraxas as a tool for self defense. My main goal is to use Abraxas with a 357 sig or 9x25 Dillon with supersonic loads. This way I could have a 900 ft lbs gun and only 22 rifle noise.

My next test is to use the mp9c to check confirm reliability and to check if the 147+p+ goes supersonic. Another solution is to run 180gr subsonic 357 sig from double tap ammo. I bet they would cycle reliably too.
montage11

Post by montage11 »

When using the Abraxas for target shooting with standard ammo, I use the reduced power spring mentioned above. I will load only 6 bullets in magazine(5+1 in gun). I fill up a jug of water next to me. I lock the slide open (so air gets out of can and water gets in), I dip the can into the water, pull it up yo drain excess water back into jug, shoot six to slider lock, chsnge mags, and repeat. Silencer stays cool and quiet plays, I check tightness of can to barrel every 6 shots and I get quick and easy recharging of the can. I have found this to be a good method for running lots of rounds at a time thru the can. This would work well with a new shooter who needs to shoot alot of rounds without resorting to a larger suppressor like an EVO-9.

When I did some 18 shot mag dumps with the standard springs and +p+ ammo, I didn't notice the gun get any louder throughout the 18 shots. Of course it was already a little loud from the extra powder and supersonic crack. But the guns noise didn't increase...and that was using water for wetting can. Maybe the Abraxas keeps the gun noise below the supersonic crack noise and thus never evens needs or benefits from being shot wet. I'll test that next.
jnitti1014
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jnitti1014 »

este wrote:Your writing
style is very
hard to read. You
might want to consider
thinking about where paragraphs
should go because not every statement
needs it's own line. You seem to be misguided in
that you need to put your own line breaks in, you do not.
This forum and almost all others, ever, have word wrap defaulted.
As it were, I read almost none of your post because it wasn't even sort
of worth my time to try and decipher where the important data was located.

Just FYI
Maybe he's Christopher Walken.
montage11

Post by montage11 »

Christopher Walken...OMG that's funny!
Update:
Abraxas operates 100% with +p+ ammo on the mp-9c on a full magazine and 100% with glock 17 with 33 round mag +1. Shells eject about 2 ft out of the port.

When shot wet, the Abraxas brings muzzle blast below sonic crack sound. I would call it comfortable levels of noise. After about 10 shots, when ablative is gone,sound moves up to slightly above sonic crack and is slightly uncomfortable. It is juuuust quiet enough that You could shoot the gun this way forever until you gradually went deaf.

So, there is very little reason to run thr Abraxas wet for home defense, sense the sonic crack is as loud as the muzzle blast when Abraxas used dry.

I ran the same tests on the NANO. It was comfortable for 2 shots and below the sonic crack. Then it became very uncomfortable. You KNEW this is bad for your hearing. Then I removed the Nano and shot it unsuppresed. WOW! It was like someone had boxed my ears. Instantly painful to my ears.

So, +p+ will run an Abraxas or Nano on any glock or m&p9 with any hi capacity mag, even 33+1. Unsuppressed is painfully loud. Nano dry is very uncomfortable. Abraxas dry is slightly uncomfortable. Nano wet is comfortable for 2 shots. Abraxas wet is comfortable for 8-10 shots with only sound coming from the supersonic bullet.

Anyone have a solution for keeping it from backing off the gun when you shoot. It loosens every 3-6 shots! Ideas?

-mike
montage11

Post by montage11 »

Pics of my Nano and Abraxas. And some long range shooting.

http://www.class3ffl.com/id6.html
montage11

Post by montage11 »

montage11

Post by montage11 »

My Glock 17 with Abraxas.
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

Very interesting tests and results, following along for the ride as I currently own none of the device models used.

You mentioned in the linked write-up light primer strikes attributed to the Storm Lake barrel? This confused
me a bit, is it possible that the barrel in question has a deeper than normal chamber, causing the ammo to sit a couple
thousandths forward of where it ideally should be when in battery?
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
montage11

Post by montage11 »

The storm lake barrel is wicked accurate. I think it's actually a tighter chamber and some of the cheaper factory and remanufactured ammo doesn't fit it well. 1 in 5 remanufactured ammo will fail with light strikes. But totally reliable with factory barrel. I LOVE my storm lake. I am shooting clover leafs at 25yards and my 18x24 plates at 200 yards. It just won't shoot the crappy ammo. Works fine with federal HST.

Problem is, there's not a ready made factory 5" threaded M&P barrel. I'll have to send it to tornado tech. Which I am about to do.
montage11

Post by montage11 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDVUgyc ... 4_jUpjdAEA

Glock 17 with M&P 9's 13 pound ismi flat spring and M&P guide rod. Abraxas silencer mounted. Using 147 subsonic and factory threaded barrel with 17+1 in the gun...so there is a good deal of upward pressure from mag slowing the slide and weakening the ejection. But it was functioned flawlessly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDVUgyc ... 4_jUpjdAEA
montage11

Post by montage11 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fumEpra ... 4_jUpjdAEA

M&P 9 CORE 5" with storm lake barrel, factory spring, Abraxas Silencer, and 17+1. Barrel didnt want to feed the Mimic 147gr remanufactured subsonics, as the Storm Lake barrel is match grade and only likes premium ammo.
It ejected fine however, and the video shows that a 5" M&P has a different barrel tilt geometry than the fullsize or compact, and is reliable with Abraxas silencer with factory spring. Using a more forgiving barrel would make the 5" Pro/CORE a good host for Abraxas or Nano silencer with factory spring. I suspect the Glock 34 would be a more reliable host for the Abraxas or Nano, over the 17 or 19 or 26...but i havent confirmed this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fumEpra ... 4_jUpjdAEA