ATF eForms is alive!

2nd Amendment and Freedom
SpyderArms

ATF eForms is alive!

Post by SpyderArms »

Looks like ATF is going to keep eForms. Just got this letter today.

U.S. Department of Justice
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Assistant Director
April 16, 2014
http://www.atf.gov

Dear Industry Colleague:

As a result of recent changes in state laws concerning certain National Firearms Act (NFA) firearms and devices and other factors, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has experienced an exponential increase in NFA applications in recent years and months. For example, in fiscal year 2005, while ATF processed nearly 41,600 NFA applications, by 2013 that number had skyrocketed by more than 380 percent to more than 199,900 applications. The increase is significant because of the volume as well as the short period of time in which applications have spiked.

To expedite processing, in 2013, after more than a year of development, ATF launched its “eForms” to provide a tool for more efficient filing of ATF firearms forms. When ATF implemented the eForms system, paper NFA Tax-Paid applications took 9 months to process, while eForms reduced processing time to within 100 days. After a year of successful implementation, in January 2014, ATF attended the annual Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trade Show (SHOT Show) to spread the word about eForms and the system’s efficient processing of applications. Improvements noted in the eForms system include the following:

• form submission and payment processing time reduced to approximately 5 minutes from 3-4 business days;

• elimination of 8 weeks of data entry processing backlog;

• elimination of an estimated 30 days processing time due to errant data entry.

With these statistics in mind and based on the feedback from industry, the eForms initiative has clearly addressed a long overdue industry need. As a result, the number of registered users has grown from 673 in 2013 to more than 10,000 today. In fact, the number of eForms submitted has exceeded 50,000, with the most significant volume seen in Form 3 and Form 4 applications. Since January 2014, approximately 50 percent of NFA applications have been submitted via eForms. This surge in demand has created the need to temporarily scale back eForms submissions while the system is enhanced to handle greater capacity in the future.

To accommodate this substantial increase in application volume, ATF must enhance the eForms initiative to ensure that we can meet the industry’s needs as the volume of applications continues to exceed growth expectations. Our goal is to decrease processing times and continue to enhance NFA availability without impact from significant application spikes or volume increases as seen during the last few years.

To accomplish this goal, ATF will take aggressive steps immediately regarding eForms and existing
paper application processes. Measures already taken include the following:

• ATF has surged staffing availability to seven days per week to process both eForms and paper
applications. As a result, ATF has already reduced the backlog of applications from more than
80,000 to 73,700, an almost 8 percent reduction in the total backlog since March 20, 2014.
Monthly processing volume has increased from 17,200 to 23,600 per month due to the surge,
representing a 37 percent increase in form processing.

• ATF is immediately hiring 15 additional staff to assist in processing NFA applications. In
addition, another 15 current staff members are cross-training to assist with NFA application
processing.

• Staff from across ATF have been recruited to assist in backlog processing.

• ATF has prioritized Form 3 and Form 4 paper application processing, as appropriate, while we
are bolstering eForms capabilities. This action will ensure that the highest volume of pending
applications is given higher priority and that industry needs are met.

• ATF has engaged world-class private sector companies to assist in enhancing eForms capacity
and functionality to provide industry with the most efficient service possible.

• ATF will limit routine maintenance and processing within the eForms system to one day each
week, which will allow registered industry users to have the full eForms system capacity
available during other days. Each Wednesday, a day selected based on use patterns and with the
input of our customers, ATF will close the system for routine maintenance and processing.
Application processing will continue outside of the system on all weekdays, but ATF will avoid
routine maintenance and processing within the eForms system on other days to ensure that
eForms remains available to our customers.

• This week, eForms will once again be available initially for the processing of Form 6 and Form
6A. As capacity is enhanced over the next several weeks, eForms will then continue to accept
Forms 1, 2, 5, 9, 5300.11 and 10. All users may continue to submit paper forms throughout this
process, and ATF will continue to surge and prioritize to ensure that this enhancement process
does not impede commerce. Ultimately, our largest volume of requests, Form 3 and Form 4, will
return to the new and improved eForms, which we expect to accomplish in the short term.

• ATF will continue to monitor application processing timelines on a weekly basis to ensure that
progress is being made in the reduction of the backlog. At the same time, ATF will enhance the
eForms system in ways that may avoid backlogs in the future, despite the spikes and volume
increases. As additional enhancements or surge steps become apparent, we will adapt our plans
to address those needs.

ATF and industry have benefitted from the eForms and ATF remains fully committed to its success and to the reduction of the backlog in paper and eForms applications. The steps outlined above reflect ATF’s commitments, and we will ensure that our industry colleagues remain informed of our progress and have the opportunity to provide input on eForms enhancements.
We offer our sincere thanks to the eForms user community for your patience and support of the eForms system as these enhancements are completed.

Sincerely,
Marvin G. Richardson
Deputy Assistant Director
ATF Enforcement Programs and Services

Here is a link to the actual PDF
SpyderArms.com
FFL 07/02
859-474-0690
[email protected]
rckshrk

Re: ATF eForms is alive!

Post by rckshrk »

Thanks for sharing. That is good stuff. My fingers are optimistically crossed as they work to improve the system.
Ash

Post by Ash »

Thats great news!!
StoneyGherkin

Post by StoneyGherkin »

And things are going great in Afghanistan, too. :wink:
"il corporativismo è la pietra angolare dello Stato fascista"
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Why are forms3, 4 not listed?
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

66427vette wrote:Why are forms3, 4 not listed?
Maybe they have them suspended while they figure out how to accept batch submissions without crashing the system. I hope they are processing those already submitted though.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

This week, eForms will once again be available initially for the processing of Form 6 and Form
6A. As capacity is enhanced over the next several weeks, eForms will then continue to accept
Forms 1, 2, 5, 9, 5300.11 and 10. All users may continue to submit paper forms throughout this
process, and ATF will continue to surge and prioritize to ensure that this enhancement process
does not impede commerce. Ultimately, our largest volume of requests, Form 3 and Form 4, will
return to the new and improved eForms, which we expect to accomplish in the short term.
Now what does "short term" mean to the ATF? Your guess is as good as mine.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I have a 9mm & .22 can that is in the process of being transferred to my local dealer to complete paperwork. I'm 6 weeks and counting waiting on the transfer to him so I can begin the wait on getting my cans transferred to me. Thankfully, I have a .30 cal can and a .40 that I can use with my 9mms while I wait.

I talked to him today. He said some of his e-files were being returned to him. Something about a glitch in the system along the lines of what the affordable care act was experiencing. What's up with that?
Xanderain

Post by Xanderain »

The real question is, if they do manage to push through their rule changes on trusts/corp. needing photos, fingerprints, and CLEO, how could they make that comparable with the electronic system? I don't see an easy way to do that... Another case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Xanderain wrote:The real question is, if they do manage to push through their rule changes on trusts/corp. needing photos, fingerprints, and CLEO, how could they make that comparable with the electronic system? I don't see an easy way to do that... Another case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.
Upload as another image/file like the trust? That would be my only guess as to how that would be handled.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Has the data entry on the eform changed any, or is it the same?
danb35
Silent Operator

Post by danb35 »

Xanderain wrote:The real question is, if they do manage to push through their rule changes on trusts/corp. needing photos, fingerprints, and CLEO, how could they make that comparable with the electronic system? I don't see an easy way to do that... Another case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.
I don't think they're concerned with making it compatible with the electronic system. Currently (well, previously, when eForms was working), individuals couldn't use eForms due mostly to the requirement for fingerprints. There's no reason they can't be done electronically--fingerprints are done electronically all the time, and could be sent directly to ATF's system. No need to print off a card, scan and upload it. But the system isn't designed for that, and it may never be.

The left hand may not know what the right hand is doing, but I don't think it'd make any difference if it did.
Ash

Post by Ash »

Has anyone heard any updates on efile for form 1 & 4?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Ash wrote:Has anyone heard any updates on efile for form 1 & 4?
Still not available, if you have an acct on Efile you will get an email with when its available again.
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

I could log in finally and see my "draft" eform and my "disapproved" eforms...go through the wizards but not edit anything.

could not create any new eForms.
uisnoisy

Post by uisnoisy »

I got my EForm1 SBR submitted on 5-24-14 at 12:24am, I got my acceptance email at 4am.
After many discussions with the friendly and helpful ATF personnel, they really were, I was told "some people are getting lucky", if you get a Permit Control Number you're good to go, call us to verify. It was glitchy, more so than before, it took my payment without any issues, I had to click 'sign and submit' multiple times over two days, mornings and evenings. I figure I'd try for a couple days and if it worked I'd save four months of waiting.
Remember that unlike the paper form, if you have any mistakes and it's declined, there's no opportunity for correction, get back in line.
sniper1
Silent But Deadly

Post by sniper1 »

uisnoisy wrote:I got my EForm1 SBR submitted on 5-24-14 at 12:24am, I got my acceptance email at 4am.
After many discussions with the friendly and helpful ATF personnel, they really were, I was told "some people are getting lucky", if you get a Permit Control Number you're good to go, call us to verify. It was glitchy, more so than before, it took my payment without any issues, I had to click 'sign and submit' multiple times over two days, mornings and evenings. I figure I'd try for a couple days and if it worked I'd save four months of waiting.
Remember that unlike the paper form, if you have any mistakes and it's declined, there's no opportunity for correction, get back in line.
Are you saying you recently submitted an Eform 1? How? Form 1 isnt even an option.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I'm only seeing 6&6A
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
sniper1
Silent But Deadly

Post by sniper1 »

perhaps he had already started the form before the site went down...???
Armorer-at-Law
Silent But Deadly

Post by Armorer-at-Law »

Just received from ATF via e-mail (emphasis mine):
Good afternoon:

We are pleased to announce the following updates to the eForms system:

1. Performance enhancements – We were able to address some of the technical issues. You will see improvements in the overall performance of the system.
2. We are able to add the ATF Form 1 back to the eForms system. Our plans are to closely monitor the performance of the system in order to determine if we will be able to add additional forms back to the system.
Below is an update on the status on our processing of paper and electronic NFA applications. In the future, this information will be available through links on the eForms login screen:

In follow-up to ATF’s letter dated April 16, 2014, regarding the status of the eForms system; this update is being provided to inform the industry of ATF’s progress in addressing eForms and paper NFA applications. To accommodate the substantial increase in application volume that has recently occurred, ATF is working diligently to decrease processing times while continuing to enhance the eForms platform.

What is our progress to date?

From a peak of over 81,000 pending NFA applications at the end of February 2014, as of June 18, 2014, ATF has reduced the number to less than 63,000 applications pending (23% reduction in pending applications). In the last four weeks, although the NFA Branch received over 17,800 applications we processed more than 22,400 applications.

The statistics in the table below represent the processing of NFA Forms over the past four weeks.

NFA FORMS PROCESSED BY WEEK
Date (Week of) 5/28/2014 6/4/2014 6/11/2014 6/18/2014
All Forms 4,815 5,629 5,635 6,323
eForms 1,199 1,204 1,905 1,682
Paper Forms 3,616 4,425 3,730 4,641

At the same time, ATF has directed additional resources to NFA application processing:

• There are currently 15 Legal Instrument Examiner (LIE) applicants currently in the background investigation phase of hiring.

• The use of overtime funding has been authorized for those employees processing NFA applications.

• ATF has cross-trained LIEs from various other ATF branches to support NFA application processing. This is an ongoing process and has already beneficially impacted application processing.

• ATF has dedicated additional data entry contract resources to reduce the time it takes for an application to be entered into the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR). As a result, data entry time has already been reduced from eight weeks to two weeks.

If you have any questions regarding any of the information included in this email, you may contact us through the eForms system by using “Ask the Experts” or by emailing us at eforms.admin_atf.gov.

Thank you for your continued support of eForms.
Send lawyers, guns, and money...
Armorer-at-Law.com
07FFL/02SOT
sniper1
Silent But Deadly

Post by sniper1 »

yeah. figures i just sent in 2 form 1's last week...
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

was up as of Wednesday, getting ready to send my Form 1 in for an SBR.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!