Can't get my Element open....

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

thunderstickjohnson

Can't get my Element open....

Post by thunderstickjohnson »

Didn't pay attention and put to many rounds through it without cleaning it, now I can't get the front or rear cap off. Anyone have any tips or tricks and its going to be a bitch to get the baffles out as I don't have a pusher tool.......help....
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Can't get my Element open....

Post by doubloon »

Try replacing the battery in the remote. If that doesn't work call Honda.

But seriously ... a wooden dowel and some tender but firm taps with a hammer are a decent substitute for a pusher tool. But you have to get that other end cap off first.

I can think of several things I would personally try but nothing I feel confident about communicating in a forum post.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
thunderstickjohnson

Yeah planned on the dowel and hammer method, I have never had a problem getting the caps off before, I really over did it on the round count, So far I have tried to put a strap wrench on the end cap tool , no luck.. trying not to damage the finish. Next I was going to try and heat it up a little and see if it breaks loose.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Can you estimate about how many rounds you went through since the last cleaning?
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

You didn't happen to use anything like thread tape or loctite on the end caps did you?

After something like Kroil or soaking the end of the suppressor in cup of CLP a strap wrench, vise padded with wood and a little heat were all things on the list I'd personally try.

The placement and amount of heat along with the pressure on the vise and wrench are all a little subjective and could lead to mangled metal if care is not taken which is why I hesitate to recommend the option over the interwebs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
thunderstickjohnson

No everything has anti seize on it. It is soaking in kroil and sprayed a bunch inside, going to use a heat gun on the end and then the strap wrenches thought about barrel vice im just afraid it will damage the finish.
I think it has 2000 through it. I thought I had cleaned it after 1000 then went out with my kids and some friends and put another 1000 through it. Im going to weigh it before I take it apart see how much lead is in it.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Are you turning it the right way? :)
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

Kroil, freeze it, let it warm, freeze, more kroil, freeze, then warm it up and strapwrench time. Always worked on my YHM Mite, until the core seized so bad it sheared off in the tube!
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
thunderstickjohnson

Yeah im going to freeze it real good then warm up the end quickly with a heat gun
AZGUNNER

Post by AZGUNNER »

Got my original name back, Yeah cold heat kroil need a better strap wrench nothing is working so far, I wonder if I put a couple mags through it real quick if that would help loosen it up.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

AZGUNNER wrote:Got my original name back, Yeah cold heat kroil need a better strap wrench nothing is working so far, I wonder if I put a couple mags through it real quick if that would help loosen it up.
No it won't, it will only add to it.

If you heated it I am sure you heated it more than a couple mags of added fouling will.
AZGUNNER

Post by AZGUNNER »

How about putting it in a barrel vice then I could get more leverage on the cap wrench with channel locks or something, im just afraid to damage the finish or the tube. I must have put alot more rounds through it then I thought.
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

I used to use a thick piece of neoprene under the strap wrench on my old Mite to increase the grip. Take down tool clamped in the vice, wrap 1/4 neoprene rubber for grip around the tube, strap wrench from home depot around that. Worked so well I sheared the core off inside, but the cap came loose!
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

Could the tube withstand some soaking time in 'The Dip' without significant damage?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

aries14482 wrote:Could the tube withstand some soaking time in 'The Dip' without significant damage?
Nope, the titanium will be damaged.
Tater_ga
Silent Operator

Post by Tater_ga »

Why not just purchase the pusher tool. That's exactly why it was made. That's going to be a lot cheaper than you making a accidental gouge with a strap wrench. I'm pretty sure we have free shipping on everything, too. Use the coupon code AACUPPERS and you'll get free shipping whether you buy an upper or not.

I'm guessing you got the end cap off. Right?
Brent

Certified Silencer Nerd

Semper Fidelis (2005-2010)
AZGUNNER

Post by AZGUNNER »

No I can't get the end cap off, I only have the wrench that comes with the Element. I saw that they have another wrench available, does it work better then the stock wrench with the 2 little pins? I plan on buying the pusher tool when I get it open.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Heat it with a soldering torch, and be done with it. The finish isn't that durable to begin with.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

RJT wrote:Heat it with a soldering torch, and be done with it. The finish isn't that durable to begin with.
That runs the risk of damaging the titanium tubing. I wouldn't recommend that at all, and I know AAC wouldn't.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Really? Lead melts at 622, and Ti melts at 3000+. Maybe its the grade of titanium that used?

I'll definitely take your word for it though.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

RJT wrote:Really? Lead melts at 622, and Ti melts at 3000+. Maybe its the grade of titanium that used?

I'll definitely take your word for it though.
Ti doesn't have to melt to be damaged.
AZGUNNER

Post by AZGUNNER »

Won't be using a torch on it, trying to keep the finish nice. I have been using a heat gun and it gets it plenty hot , the crappy tool is all I have if I had 2 I could get better leverage and im sure it will open. The strap wrenches I have just spin on the slick tube. I wish it had some kind of bigger wrench set up on the end caps, I have had it apart many times with no problems, I guess I just put to many rounds through it.
They don't have a picture of the new style end cap wrench on the website, im hoping it has more pins and flat sides for a wrench, one on each end should be just as good as putting it in a vise, im not a little guy I could probably twist the tube if I wasn't careful. The front cap must have a bunch of lead fusing it to the tube, the adapter on the p22 was almost closed up. The kids put a ton of rounds through it.
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

OP

email me at work

we will open this for you.

Mike

[email protected]
Mike Mers
L.E. and Commercial Sales
Advanced Armament Corp.